Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marian_31

How to make a ranch style have curb appeal?

marian_31
9 years ago
I just purchased my first home to flip and the outside looks so plain. what can I do to increase the curb appeal for less?

Comments (5)

• Virginia
    9 years ago
    The front of the house itself would look more distinctive with one door rather than what looks like two. Keep the door on the right and create a walkway to the driveway with flagstone. Paint the house if it needs it and paint the door a vibrant color for contrast. Of course you'll need to use colors appropriate for your locale as what works in Florida might not work in New England (you didn't give your location). Put windowless on front Windows and maintain whatever plants you put in them. Consider shutters for the front. The rest is landscaping: shrubs and other plantings at the foundation and bordering the walkway. Reseed the lawn or put in some groundcover if lawns don't do well in your area. Make sure the driveway is in good condition and get it paved or resealed if needed. Good luck with your project.
  • Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

Congratulations on taking the plunge! What fun! I agree with vapapan about the 2 doors. Are they both used? If you can, paint the utility door the same brown as the wall it's on. Paint the front door a bright color - yellow? green? Add either stone or pavers as a walkway. Even a gravel pathway that helps that helps draw you to the front door. You can easily add color and interest to the front line of your home with some colorful inexpensive plants. You can 2 narrow beds for plants with inexpensive pavers. Invest in a gardener's guide to plants and see what appeals to you. I particularly love this "Persian Shield" which does very well in the shade and is easy to maintain. Grass is difficult to maintain without the proper sunlight. There are many plants you can use as ground cover. Do some research or go to a local nursery for advice.

• Virginia
    9 years ago

I meant windowboxes, not windoless in my post. So much for smartypants 21st century automatic word completion. Ya still hafta proofread!!

• PRO
    Form Studio
    9 years ago

If you can afford it, adding a small to modest gable roof over the real front door would help add some spark to the front, two+ color paint job to tie it together, a nice path and the landscaping.

• marian_31
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I post more pictures as the progress goes along. I will definitely take your suggestions and post the progress. The home is located in Louisiana so what color palette do you think is best? Here is the picture of the roof getting down and the foundation was just repaired.