0

Anyone built or seen built Frank Betz's Northfield Manor?

dbrad

We've been working on a custom plan for years (everything drawn up and paid for already) but recently tired of it - what a waste of time and $$! But as much as we hate to admit it, we just aren't "feeling it" anymore.

Recently we saw the below plan by Frank Betz and fell in love. The floor plan needs very few changes and with a walk-out basement it will fit nicely on our lot. Our only concern is that the neighborhood where we purchased land is full of rather large - or at least large-seeming - houses. The minimum size for the neighborhood is 3000 (recently lowered to that after the housing crunch) so it's not like the house has to be really large (this plan is 3800 + 600 bonus), but we're just not sure this house fits. Our initial impression was WOW, but now we think the house just has a small-looking front elevation to it. Are we crazy??

We would LOVE to see more photos of this house but even after contacting Frank Betz Associates we can't seem to find anyone who has built it (they are understandably unwilling to share that information). We are even willing to drive/fly to see the house in person - don't judge, we're (annoyingly, even to ourselves) picky and want to get this right this time!

So, anyone know where this house has been built, or at least have some photos that would give us a better impression of it? Thanks for indulging our craziness!

https://www.frankbetz.com/plans/Northfield%20manor

http://www.eplans.com/house-plans/epl/hwepl12437.html

• wrightgj

@Jason Freeman Thanks - we wouldn't have a cookie-cutter version of the plan, so there would certainly be a need for some mods.

I know a couple people have mentioned that the plans from Betz were very detailed - more so than what they'd get from other draftsmen - and that saved them from potential issues in some spots. You might not have a side by side comparison, but did you find that you were missing anything in regards to the plans you had? I know it'll depend on who's doing the drafting, so I'm not going to assume that all others are incapable, just wondering if there were things that would be noted or called out explicitly by FB since it's their original plan.

• Jason Freeman
    @wrightgj So far in our build process, we have not come across any issues regarding the plans not being true FB plans. As you mentioned, maybe if we had the two sets side x side, I could find differences in the details of roof lines, window sizes and utility rough-in locations. For us, it was just easier to work directly with a local, highly skilled drafter to make modifications to fit our needs/wants rather than trying to correspond with a FB architect over the phone or thru email. To see more of our progress, you can follow us on Instagram @thefreemanscraftedfarmhouse
  • lldaves6

@wrightgj for us, it was taking longer to get mods communicated and completed through FB. We did make some initial changes with FB but in the end, worked with a local since we are out of state.

Looking great @JasonFreeman! Exciting times!

• lldaves6

@sparkle08 I am in Texas in the McKinney area if you want to see our modified ST/NM

@sarahogle We made the sitting room off of our kitchen a dining room as we are using the original dining space as an office.

• sarahogle

Show me your pictures of the master bath and master bedroom! We just received our modifications back from FB we went with the southern trace but, kept the northfield manor master bedroom and master bath. We also enlarged the laundry room and pantry! I am trying to figure out the best lay out in the master bath!

• bellaella1

@sarahogle We did the same. We also cut the sitting room off of our bedroom in order to expand the porch across the entire back of the house. I don’t have pics on my phone but happy to send a couple later.

• Mandi Smith

@jasonfreeman did you take the window out of the master closet? We purchased this ST plan but that closet window and the kitchen are not my favorites.

• Jason Freeman
    @MandiSmith Yes, we opted to remove the window to give us more useable wall space in the closet. On the exterior closet wall, we’ll create the look of a closed shutter/faux window. For the kitchen, we chose to have our island face the Great Room instead of the Keeping Room. It gave all the spaces more walk-around room. Our layout goes Kitchen-Dining Room-Great Room all in one continuous space.
  • Mandi Smith
    Any new starts on a Southern Trace in North or South Carolina? We plan to start in January, but would love to walk through one before if possible.
  • lolabannister

Steve Hollis, Coukd you please tell me, how big your island is and what solid surface did you use (Name and color)? Did they do a seam and if they did where did they put it? We were told that quartz stilestone would work better in not showing the seam and to choose a less busy pattern. Thank you so much!

• Greg Tanner

I am so happy to have found this! We are literally in the beginning phase of preparing for a build. We love this plan. A couple of builders were confused by the layout of the plan on the website and comparing the pictures. So we are just going to order the FB plan and then make changes as needed. Overall, I love the plan as is. The confusing part is the kitchen and if that is a column of some type that comes down in the middle of the kitchen.

• Molly Buckner
    The dining room is looking a little like Christmas!
  • Diane Heitmann

@Greg Tanner...we built the Southern Trace....our local architect removed that (we really did not like it nor did our builder) and lvl's were use to omit it.....Good luck!!!

• Erin Smith

The column is what I was most concerned about, also. It caused me to play around with 15 or so kitchen layouts. HOWEVER, it has ended up being such an amazing part of my kitchen. I will post a picture. Definitely one of the most complimented part of my house.

• Jason Freeman

Exterior Progress Pics: Initial brick work is complete, Hardie coming soon.....

• Greg Tanner

The stairway to the bonus room is confusing. I see in the plan pictures online it is in the breakfast area but in other plans, I can't figure out where it is.

• Greg Tanner

Erin Smith...can you upload pics from other angles for your kitchen?

• John Bowman

I flipped my bonus room stair case to start in mud room area Leaving breakfast area clear. Gave me more flexibility in breakfast area and alows bonus room to have a weather tight door for future use.

• Diane Heitmann

@Greg Tanner....in our Southern Trace, we moved the stairs from the breakfast room to our "added to house" , back hallway, which has a door to the outside, a drop zone and laundry.

• Erin Smith

Various kitchen angles

• Erin Smith

The barn door is our pantry entrance, which is where the bonus room staircase comes down in the photos on Frank Betz. We didn’t want the staircase there because it would have caused our pantry to be too far away from the kitchen (inback entry way)

• Erin Smith

Here imare our bonus room stairs, next to the door leading in from the garage.

• Greg Tanner

I am waiting on the architect to get back to me, but we asked if it was possible to lower the ceiling down in the keeping room to make a 5th bedroom above on the 2nd floor. The slope of the roof concerns me that it might not make that usable as a room. This is going to be a playroom for the kids if we can make it work. I am going to finish the bonus room and office similar to the pics on the frank betz site later.

• Greg Tanner

Has anyone added a 5th bedroom to Northfield Manor, if so, where? Not counting the bonus room.

• jeannahillyard

I know someone who did Greg! They turned over the keeping room into a bedroom and it worked out fine. I can see if I can find a picture

• Jason Freeman
    @GregTanner We have 5 bedrooms (2 bedrooms on the 1st floor and 3 bedrooms on 2nd floor). We modified the plan by merging the Northfield Manor with the Tuxedo Park.
  • Greg Tanner

@jeannahillyard that would be great!

• jeannahillyard

gregtanner- For some reason it won’t let me add ur picture. Send me a email at jeannahillyard@icloud.com and I will send them that way

• Greg Tanner

Thank you..email sent

• sarahogle

Can any post pictures of the northfield manor master bedroom and master bathroom. We are building the southern trace but, we traded out the master bedroom, bathroom, and closet for the northfield manor one. We also did away with the sitting area in the master bedroom so we could extend our porch down the back side of the house. We went and looked at the progress today and I feel like our master bedroom is so much small then what I thought it would be! I am not even sure if I will be able to get our bedroom furniture in it!

• Jason Freeman
    @sarahogle We did a lot of the same modifications and felt the same about the amount of space in the room. One benefit of modifying the plan is that we enlarged our closet to fit a built-in dresser to help in space allotment in the bedroom.
  • sarahogle

Thank you! I just bought a new chest of drawers for the new house. We have not even picked it up yet and I am super bummed that we will probably have to just put in the closet. I was so caught up in making sure we had a massive closet I completely skipped over the size of the master! our bedroom is almost the exact same except for windows along the side wall we have french doors. I am going to put our bed between the two windows, long dresser in front of bed on wall with the TV mounted above it. Night stands in front of the two windows, now If i could figure out away to get the chest of drawers in there also, with out it being super crowded I will be happy!

• sarahogle

I think your master is bigger. Ours is roughly 15 X 16

• bellaella1

We did the exact same thing...removed sitting area from master and kept NM closet and bath making our master roughly 15x16. I can take pics when we get home this evening. We fit a king bed between the windows with nightstands underneath each window and long dresser on opposite wall. We also have a shorter chest on the wall to the right when you walk in. It’s plenty big enough for us personally.

• sarahogle

That would be AWESOME! I went down and measured today and think the chest of drawers will fit on the wall to the right ( the way yours is) I would LOVE to see pictures if you don't mind sharing!

• sarahogle
    @jay would you mind helping me out! Our framers are struggling to find a solution to remove the column in the kitchen. It was removed on our plans from Frank Betz we did LVL beams and removed all columns. I just have a few questions for you and maybe you would be able to help us! My email is sarahogle7736@gmail.com.
  • dbrad

@sarahogle, also give Frank Betz a call. When our framers ran into an issue we called FBA and they gave them just the info they needed.

• bellaella1

@sarahogle I’m in the midst of redecorating so forgive the blank wall over the bed and tv but this will give you an idea of space. Our furniture is very large...also getting new bed and dressers but here it is for now.

• bellaella1

@sarahogle And the NM bathroom except we enlarged the shower quite a bit.

• sarahogle
    @ Bellella thank you so much! This makes me feel so much better about the size! Yours looks great!
  • bellaella1

Thanks...always a work in progress!

• Greg Tanner

We are moving forward. Signing the contract with the builder this week. We already own the lot and it has been cleared. We elected to finish the bonus room (keeping it like the plan and adding an office on the end) and also lowered the ceiling in the keeping room to make a room above it to use as a playroom. The roof line cuts into the room some but it is playroom for small kids so it won't matter, still plenty of room. The square footage ended up being 4871. We are going to do shiplap only in the foyer, we removed the column in the kitchen and we are doing one huge island there. It will be about an 9 month build time so we should be in by Thanksgiving. Will post pics soon.

• Jason Freeman
    Progress Pics, Siding installed ✅