Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovebuck

White paint over original woodwork?

lovebuck
9 years ago
This may be an over-cooked topic, but I thought opinions might be interesting here. Just purchased this 1927 bungalow. Our first impression was that the dark wood was overbearing. White paint would brighten it up. One year later-now we sort of appreciate the contrast and notice that most houses in our neighborhood don't have the original wood any longer.

I know there is no right answer, but… What would you do?

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    9 years ago

If you like the contrast and want to keep the original wood, why not just wallpaper the ceiling in a bright and airy pattern or texture. A soothing grasscloth would do wonders!

• jhmarie
    9 years ago

keep the lovely wood. It does not have to darken the room if you keep the walls light and window treatments light and have good lighting. If you feel you must paint, only do the trim for a white / wood look.

Beacon St. Residence · More Info

• PRO
    BetterWall
    9 years ago

For what it's worth I agree with jhmarie, the wood is beautiful. I've had the same dilemma in an almost identical space. It's warm and cozy! :). And nwduck suggested light paper in the hutch, how about actual lights in the hutch? Just an idea.

• Darzy
    9 years ago

I'd keep the wood too. You can always "brighten" in other areas.

• Rina
    9 years ago

Agreeing with most of the comments so far -- that wood looks so beautiful. I don't think any topic is over-cooked because each room is different.

Decluttering the hutch and shelves a bit would make that wall seem a bit lighter, especially if you included one large, light picture on the bottom shelf, as below. I also think lights in the hutch are worth considering, or certainly some lower light sources in the room -- table lamps -- if you don't already have them. The fitting you have lights the ceiling dramatically and I really like it, but doesn't do much to lighten rest of the room.

• phenie53
    9 years ago

I think it depends on whether you prefer natural wood or white. There is often a gender difference here: men prefer natural, women prefer painted. I find that darkness above makes the ceiling seem lower. The wood is beautiful, but painting all the woodwork white would make the room so much brighter...and easier to decorate.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

Both approaches work. while the original is beautiful in its own right I have seen some arts and crafts with the painted woodwork and it is still very beautiful. Just different. It all depends on the house the light and the kind of renovations it has endured.

My own house is a late 40's early 1950's ranch, much enlarged over the years. when I moved in much of what I did was archeology: stripping the 70's and 80's out of it. Much of the damage to the houses was done in those years. stonework and brick got covered with drywall, original wood floors got cheap wall tile on top of them, formica reigned everywhere, even where it did not have any business being, like in the mantel of a fireplace, getting burned. ceilings got covered in 3/4 cedar planks, lowering the ceiling a good inch and a half, considering the plywood it was nailed to (roof not designed for the weight either). I think a Thoughtful renovations that keep the spirit of the houses intact while bringing them to the present is always nice. For example a modern, sleek kitchen belongs in an MCM house renovation, not in a craftsman one. Finding an intact, well kept blue or pink bathroom of the 50's is one of life greatest pleasures, and a good renovation, changing only what needs to be changed, leaving the tile work intact is worth seeing.

• intown123
    9 years ago
    I would keep it. It's a nice rich color and I think even more so than some Victorian homes a craftsman home was "meant" to retain its wood in its natural state. Especially if after living with it for a year you are appreciating it more. If you lived with it that long and disliked it and didn't feel at home then I'd say paint - at a certain point it's your home and it's ok to make it yours. The wood is still there.
  • Paula Lewis
    9 years ago

I like it.

• ocotillaks
    9 years ago

Don't paint the wood. I live in a 1928 Craftsman Bungalow farmhouse and have the original woodwork.

• Darzy
    9 years ago

I love this look and the dark wood is in tact. Bright ceilings/walls and fabulous lighting and furnishings. Craftsman meets MCM...

Lake Michigan Retreat - Dining Room · More Info

• PRO
    Pleasant Living, LLC
    9 years ago

I'm so glad you reintroduced this query. In interior design the ceiling is so often the forgotten area and left to a simple coat of white paint. In our work we always look to ceilings as an opportunity and your ceilings are exceptionally eye catching and I understand your particular conundrum. There are many factors to consider like the quality of the woodwork, whether they are original to the design of the space, the amount of light you would like to see reflected in the room and finally the historical significance of the house if any i.e. was it designed by a noted architect, who originally lived there etc.. I love a classic bungalow and all that the style encompasses, the great sitting areas or inglenooks, built-in bookcases and china cupboards and like yours the great woodwork and molding details. Many times bungalows built from kits like the ones offer by Sears & Roebuck were shipped with woodwork & moldings that were made from pine, poplar or fir and were stained to resemble a richer more desirable wood such as mahogany or oak. If this is the case with yours and you want to introduce more light I say go for painting them. We're now in the 21st Century and our lives are different from those lived in the previous century. I don't think there is a "wrong" or "bad " choice here. I say go for your own style!