mblaeser

Thermador - Have seen some pretty negative reviews on appliances

Melissa B

considering Thermador or Wolf - anyone have any recent exper with both? I trying to outfit a new kitchen in the next 6 mo. Therm. seemed like I could save a little $ but get an upper brand but after looking at consumer reviews/comments on Houzz I'm afraid that is not the case and I should just go with Wolf - thoughts?

• 2Cats AndTheirMom

I just called Thermador today (Saturday) recording said it was a 10 minute wait but I waited about 35-40 minutes. I guess that is pretty good. The lady was nice and I asked her point blank about their production. She said they were still in production but that she could not give me time frame on delivery as I would have to get that from my sales person at appliance store. She said they do have some things that are 6 months out but if I was given an 8-12 week delivery time on a particular item, then that is probably good. That is what I was given on the French Door Panel Ready Fridge. I have not placed the order yet. Still tossing things around.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom

@HU-712346092 I think this is it...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hisense-140-Can-Capacity-5-4-cu-ft-Residential-Stainless-Steel-Beverage-Center/1002981224?cm_mmc=shp--c--prd--app--google--lia--118--beveragecenter--1002981224-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286890&gclid=CjwKCAiAjp6BBhAIEiwAkO9WuuU-qamn3eMTkHdmAIstpFrLku7ERsA8Xa3zSj2VsNeyGO9ekJytyhoCUBwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Do you have a small bar ice maker you can recommend?

Do I have to buy Kitchen appliance before designing the kitchen ??

I completely agree with you Linda, but I'd like to expand on one little thing in your comment. I'd mention that 'reasonably standard" can be subjective and one persons idea of that could be vastly different from the next persons. The majority of people that are looking for a special unit like an AGA, or have one somewhere, will already know that they have the space to support it. But the unfortunate reality is that there are just as many other people (maybe 80% of you) that aren't sure what their space could be or what would fit into it, and those ARE the people that should talk to a designer first. And a little additional food for thought: Kitchen designers, myself included, will almost always be faced with things we must work around; jobsite and budget limitations, existing appliances, specialty situations, specific storage or functional requests, and many other obstacles, before we can make each kitchen the best it can be. It's our job (and extreme pleasure) to help our clients to realize, beyond their wildest dreams, what is possible in their homes. But it's also our responsibility to advise our clients when something they really really want (or think they want) just won't work in a certain space and to also explain to them why. We are up to any challenges and there certainly are enough of them in any basic remodel, so why add one more by not discussing the major components with a designer before plunking down that hard earned cash?

Thermador appliances

Thermador is a high quality designer appliance. They are currently running a promotion. If you purchase a cooktop and oven or a range you will receive a free matching dishwasher. If you add in a built in fridge they will also throw in a hood. Pretty good deal. This will bring the pricing much lower than you would normally pay for them. The truth is service isnt great for any brand today so I suggest taking some kind of service contract to protect your investment. Please visit our site for access to images specs and pricing. www.plessers.com

Thermador Freedom Induction cook top vs. Bosch Benchmark

I still really like the Thermador Freedom induction top. It has worked well — I’ve had it for over three years now. I love being able to put my pots anywhere on the cook surface. All my appliances are Thermador. I love the fridge/freezer but the doors are very, very heavy— I think they come with doors you can push to auto-open now. I wish I had that on mine. Note that I had to pay a special installer to install the doors— our builder tried but they were tricky. The appliance store warned me this would be the case. The drawer microwave is terrific. Dishwasher cleans very well but the wheels on the lower rack are flimsy and have broken. I have the topaz model so perhaps the more expensive models are better. The double ovens are okay — nothing special but they work perfectly well. Overall I give my suite of applilances a B+ (not an A, due to dishwasher and fridge doors). Good luck with your choice. I have to say I made my decision on the overall “look“ of the appliances and for the freedom cooktop. I think both brands make great products!

Thermador Ranges

Thermador says "mild cleaning detergent" or something to this effect (nothing abrasive, etc.). The Thermador rep I spoke with at the store prior to purchasing suggesting olive oil for stubborn stains. All useless advice based on my experience. I have friends with other brands and there does not appear to be an issue. I think it is unique to Thermador, which is unfortunate. My cleaning lady works in many homes with upscale appliances, so she has seen a wide variety. Again, none with the Thermador issue for cooktops.
  • 2Cats AndTheirMom

Thank you @Jeremy. I have gone back and forth and I have to make a decision. I got an email today that Thermador has a new 36" fridge that is all stainless inside. Not sure if this makes the price go up. I was looking at the panel ready for $7,600. I might check it out. I appreciate your comment.

• JJ Mekai

@HU-712346092, I sure hope you'll be back here with your full review once you've installed and used your Thermador appliances. Thank you for your comments thus far.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom

Hi @JJ Mekai -- Wellllllll, I just ordered Fisher Paykel appliances. Several reasons..... I could not see spending and extra $4k on a Thermador fridge vs FP fridge ($4k) when it only had about 2+ more cu space,

Availability of Thermador during this pandemic was also a big deciding factor.

Another factor -- for $2,800 I am considering the FP Multi-temp Chiller Drawer, It is pretty cool and has been around 10 years. It may solve my bar needs. It can go from being a pull out drawer freezer for ice at bar to a fridge to a wine cooler, pantry setting, and so on. I don't want a noisy and troublesome ice maker, I don't have one friend that has not had issues with their ice machine. Check out a u-tube video of chiller drawer,

So with the FP fridge and chiller drawer, I am still not at the steep $8k Thermador fridge. It helped that the store owner uses FP and services it.

I might have gone with Thermador if I knew I could get it within a reasonable time,

• JJ Mekai

@2Cats AndTheirMom, would love to see a review after you've had them for a bit. Did you also purchase Fisher Paykel cooking appliances? So looking forward to your performance reviews.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom

Yes I purchased most all FP appliances (Professional Range, Dishwasher, Integrated Panel Ready Fridge) and purchased a GE 5 in 1 Smart Oven - it can be used as a convection oven, toaster oven, warming/proofing oven, precision cook oven and microwave. Since I am getting rid of 2 ovens, I really wanted one that has a lot of features. My neighbor has been using it for 3 years and loves it. I still have my oven in the range and will not have the aggravating microwave over the range.

• JJ Mekai

@2Cats AndTheirMom, I'm so looking forward to hearing about how you like your Fisher Paykel appliances. Is this the GE Advantium oven? I'm considering that as well but not sure where I'll put it. I understand F & P has a speed oven now too but the GE Advantium has been around for a while and is well liked.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom

Yes the Advantium. My friends have the 240 and love it.

I got the 120v because i want to put under counter in my island. The 240v is a little faster speed but cannot be placed undercounter due to voltage.

The 240 and 120 are exactly the same - they both can

Broil
    Convection
    Microwave
    Proof
    Speedcook
    Warm

Both have over 175 Programmed Menu Selections which is pretty nice.

Microwave Watts (IEC-705)

120v - 950.00W

240v 975.00 W

240 has a bit higher speed than 120.

• A BD

We are redoing our kitchen later this year but had to replace our dishwasher last fall. We bought the Sapphire panel ready and I LOVE it. I’ve had 2 Bosch and they were great but this is my favorite. Very quiet, I no longer rinse my dishes and they are all dry at the end of the cycle. I wanted to leave a positive comment on it. I’m looking at the Thermador 36” induction and the speed oven, oven warming drawer combo.

• Yve L

Similar issues with my wall oven not working. Had a technician in home not ever looking at oven just diagnosing a new motherboard needed. Thermador customer service is just awful. I wish I would have further researched before my purchasing last year. Very disappointing.

• steve Goldschein

Worst mistake ever! Bought 7 Thermador appliances of which 5 were doa with problems. Range replaced and freezer and two dishwashers. Self cleaning ovens don’t work at all. Customer service useless!

• Kevin Burk

i keep warning folks about this but......imagin buying a car and having these problems

• Kevin Burk

listen people . im a builder by profession DONT BUY THERMADOR

• JJ Mekai

@Kevin Burk, what are your thoughts on Fisher & Paykel?

• JJ Mekai

@Kevin Burk, I need a side opening or french door opening wall oven too due to mobility issues. If I go with an F & P frig and range, is there a wall oven brand you would recommend with easy access doors?

• Jerry Jorgenson

JJ Mekai -- I've had great success with our Bluestar French Door wall oven. I believe they also make a side opening door version as well. The side opening door might be better for you because a bit of force is required to close the french doors. (You pretend you are working in a restaurant and need to get things done as quickly as possible, so you almost slam the doors to shut them, the side opening one won't have this issue.)

The only experience I've had with F&P is with their dishdrawer. It's a great concept, but in practice it's a flawed design because the electronics are below the drawers so they will get wet and fail. Not recommended.

Alexandra Nicole Newton

@jjmekal I will let you know in a few months. I ordered the professional range, drawer dishwasher, and integrated French door fridge.

• JJ Mekai

@Alexandra Nicole Newton, very much appreciated!

• JJ Mekai

@Jerry Jorgenson, I appreciate your comments. Just looked at Blue Star and since my kitchen will be all electric, the french door oven is the only option other than a drop down door. If it's challenging to close the french door, I probably need to look at another brand.

• Kevin Burk

ge monagram makes a nice french door oven pull one door they both open

• JJ Mekai

@Kevin Burk, do you know if the GE monogram ovens are reliable?

• Kevin Burk

monagram is what i have inever have problems .....ever thats why irecomend plus techs are more readly avail.from most appliance repair buissnesses

• Jerry Jorgenson

JJ Mekai -- If you are reasonably near a showroom, you should be able to try them out and see if it's a problem for you. As far as I know, Bluestar has the only 30" oven where you can put in a full size baking sheet. They work the same in the showroom as they do at home (I tried one to see if it was the same).

• lulu 3421

We really dislike our Thermador 48 inch range model PRD48JDSGU. From day one, it has been incredibly noisy. We cannot hold a conversation, listen to the radio or watch tv when the oven is on. Forget trying to entertain in the kitchen! When you are turn off the oven, even if you only cooked for 15 minutes, it can take upwards of 1 hour for the fan to turn off. I would never spend the money on Thermador again and will definitely be asking about noise level when I purchase a replacement. Like others have said, the steam oven is useless.

• suzyq53

Lulu - Maybe something is wrong with yours. I've had that model for 5 years and it a great workhorse. It's no louder than my previous Viking and the fan doesn't stay on long.

• JJ Mekai

@lulu 3421, could you elaborate more about the issues with the steam oven? I was under the impression Thermador had a pretty good steam oven with larger capacity than most.

• JJ Mekai

@suzyq53, do you use the Thermador steam oven function much? Can you discuss the performance if you do? Since I don't use a microwave for cooking or defrosting, I'm interested in adding a steam oven to our new kitchen.

• suzyq53

Hi JJ - I don't have steam and not even sure how to use it. My big oven has convection bake and broil. I use a microwave for defrosting and reheating.

• lulu 3421

The steam oven has a large capacity, but it is challenging to use. Much easier to just microwave something. I wish we had just gone for the standard double ovens. As it is, if you're not using the steam function, the only bake option is convection. You can't use it as a basic oven, which I would have preferred.

On other service visits, I have asked authorized Thermador repair people about the noise, and they told me I just had to live with it. After researching and seeing so many others have had issues, I have reached out to Thermador, but have not gotten a response yet.

• Diana L. Fisher

I bought my Thermador star burner gas cooktop 2 years ago. Have had zero issues with it and would highly recommend! I cook a LOT! Best stove top I’ve ever had. Just ordered my new double wall oven a couple weeks ago and waiting on it to come in! I love love love Thermador! Every brand out there will have a lemon produced...it’s the nature of manufacturing. I wanted to wait before ordering the ovens to see how i would like the cooktop and it was just a no brainer for us to stick with Thermador! I will say at the time I chose mine, I was down to Wolf or Thermador.

• JJ Mekai

@Diana L. Fisher, please post a review of your wall ovens after you've used them for a bit. Just curious. Did you order the drop down door or side opening door?

• Diana L. Fisher

@JJ Mekai I had to go with the drop-down door due to how it is positioned in my kitchen (the side opening wouldn’t work either way for us)

• Joseph Zuckerbrow

Confirmed.... Thermador is the hands down absolute worst quality and customer service on the planet.

• Rich Gribble

Complete junk for the $$$ we spent!! Only 2 years old, on my 3rd service call for my Range.. When I email support, takes almost a week to get back to you because when you call it always says "due to unprecedented demand", call back or email us.. unreal.. My last oven was a Jenn Air, wish we had stayed with it..

• Lea Geller

Double ovens DEAD after two years. Been waiting two weeks for a part and will have to wait at least another three. i wish I had never bought them. My neighbor has them and also has had a string of problems with her ovens. They suck and the customer service is friendly but useless.

• JJ Mekai

@Lea Geller, please post an update when you find out what's wrong and what the fix is.

• Marlene Neves

@Kevin Burk Really? I am getting my home reno'd and the appliance sales guy keeps pushing me to Thermador products. I told him about the comments I read in this forum and he said "I do feel that the problem Thermador has was more with the service company than the product and things over the last few years seem to be much better." ...any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

• lulu 3421

My salesman also pushed Thermador big time, and told me their store (Pirch) would extend service for 10 years for any issues. Their store closed in my state one year later. No extended warranty, no covered service. I would not purchase Thermador again.

JJ Mekai asked that I post once our last Thermador appliance was delivered....We were initially told by Pacific and Thermador that all of our appliances would be delivered and installed within 2 months with one appliance being something like 3 months. Most of the appliances came about 3-4 months with one other being 6 months and the last being 7 months. well, 7 months after the initial order (when we were told there was only a two month wait on all appliances with one exception being a 3 month wait). The double oven was the last to arrive and be installed. Can I say it was worth the 7-months wait--not really.

My overall impression of the Thermador appliances (2 dishwashers, induction cooktop, panel-ready French door refrigerator, rising downdraft, microwave drawer, and the double oven), is that they look really nice and the overall look of our entire kitchen project came out much better than i thought when I first started to design it with my contractor, the cabinet folks and Pacific. Perhaps i was too intimately involved in the entire project since i assumed the role of both designer and general contractor. I am a bit of a control freak and had everything set from a timing perspective. Most of my anger was with the promises made and broken by Thermador and Pacific which left us without a kitchen for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.

One of the really annoying things with Thermador was customer service, really hard to reach and they had problems with some basic questions. The biggest angst was caused when Thermador kept insisting that my warranties all started on September 9th even though the products weren't delivered for many months out. I kept getting that same answer and i kept responding that was not an appropraite answer. Well, when the dust settled, i do have my warranty from the date each appliance was delivered but it is literally housed in the computer/desk of a customer service representative/manager in the North Carolina manufacturing facility. I don't draw a lot of comfort from that but i do have email strings to verify the conversations. When you are spending between $25K- $30-K on premium appliances this warranty issue should have been a no-brainer with Thermador falling all over themselves. It was not. It was like pulling teeth which makes me concerned when there is ultimately a problem with any of the products.

As to problems with the products, i think i mentioned that the downdraft delivered to me was an outdated model, with no serial number and broke within 2-3 weeks. Caused tremendous frustration because Pacific and Thermador kept pointing fingers at each other. They all admitted i was correct, but Thermador would not own the issue. Pacific finally took ownership although i am not sure whether it was there issue or not. It caused me additional delay and about an additional $1,000 in costs because of the manner in which i had integrated the downdraft into the kitchen island plan. How an outdated and broken model could be delivered is beyond me. My best guess is that someone had issues with their downdraft and had it returned and it was put back into the Thermador or Pacific warehouse to be offloaded on some unsuspecting shmuck. I am still seeking compensation to be made whole for the $1,000 i lost.

With my venting aside. I'll try to be objective. Again the Thermador appliances look really nice, they are functional and serve the purpose for which purchased. The bells and whistles are nice, but you can get those with some other reliable appliances for a fraction of the price. Would i buy them again? No! Would my wife want me to buy them again. Yes. Guess who would win out?!? Not me.

The funny (ironic) twist to this story is that some issues have come up and we will likely be moving out of our dream home and dream kitchen for family reasons. So with the impending sale in 12-24 months (and transferable) warranties for an additional 4 years after the Thermador warranties expire, I will be able to sell the kitchen without the purchaser assuming any of the headaches, have premium appliances and peace of mind. I was pleasantly surprised that the additional warranties only cost just a tad bit over $1,000 for all of the appliances.

Sorry to drone on. Other than resolving the compensation/reimbursement for the downdraft, my Thermador story comes to a conclusion. Perhaps Thermador will get its act together after COVID is behind us, but the track record with me would not result in a recommendation to purchase Thermador again. Also, I don't think I could recommend using Pacific due to its own supply chain issues.

Signing out and wishing everyone best in their own kitchen remodels. Reach out to me in 12 months if you are looking for a beautiful water access home in Northern Virginia with a teenager interested in crewing at a wonderful facility (neighbor's kid parlayed it into Yale offer/acceptance). Until then all the best....

• Joseph Zuckerbrow

Spend the extra $$$ on Wolf sub zero. Thermador is the worst products I have ever owned

• JJ Mekai

@HU-712346092, thank you for your thorough review. It is much appreciated. Do you have the Freedom Cooktop?Are you happy with the new downdraft system? Are you happy with consistent temperatures in the wall ovens? Thermador is still one of my top contenders for these two appliances because I don't think anyone else has an induction cooktop like the Freedom, other than Gaggenau. And, I need side opening or French door opening wall ovens that are fairly easy to open. I've cooked in Gaggenau wall ovens and they were beyond fantastic but I'd rather not spend quite that much. If I don't purchase the Thermador wall ovens and don't go up to Gaggenau, I think that only leaves Bosch or GE Cafe for the wall oven choices meeting my needs. The GE French door wall ovens can be a little difficult to open.

• steve Goldschein

Thermador absolutely awful.5 out of 7 appliances had to be replaced after 27 service calls over 3 months. The only way I got any help was by finally calling Bosch in Germany.
    Software horrible , assembly worse. Latest failure in range that was replaced two months ago is that self cleaning oven feature does not work at all!

• steve Goldschein

Local dealer was Plesser’s who offered no assistance whatsoever! Horrible people from owners down!

• piaa

We are doing a total rebuild of the kitchen and ordered our Thermador appliances (dishwasher, stove, speed oven, wine column and column fridge and column freezer) at the end of December and were told then that the wait time would be at least 5-7 months (which is fine for us) We set a delivery of June 1st on the order just because we had to set a date and checked in a few weeks ago and it was confirmed they would not be here by then - definitely don't be in a hurry for Thermador or Wolf as Wolf lead time was the same - at least back in December when we were shopping

• Joseph Zuckerbrow

Thermador will deliver broken and incomplete product

• suzyq53

The ports are all backed up. Lots of shipments are delayed. Don't buy it if it isn't in stock.

• Lea Geller

It isn't just that the parts are not in (I have had no ovens for almost 3 weeks and will not have them for at least two more), it's that I NEED PARTS after only two years. My ovens are completely bust.

Also, customer service agents are very kind but cannot do much. Management refuses to replace bad ovens and makes us all go back and forth with parts and waiting. Several people I know are in same predicament.

Avoid Thermador.

• Joseph Zuckerbrow

They are very poorly designed and even worse quality