Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_kennedy8298194

Kitchen island paint color advice

Carrie Kennedy
9 years ago
I am renovating my open plan kitchen/living room. We are replacing the entire floor with laminate wood flooring, and I would like to paint the kitchen island, and add a backsplash.
The countertops are a beige corian (mojave).
I like bright colors, but we will be moving and renting out this property in 12 months or so. I want to update the room but don't need it to be the kitchen of my dreams.
I'm happy to leave the cabinets and counters. I would rather white cabinets and quartz or granite counters...but it doesn't bother me the way they look now.
I will probably repaint the walls the same colors, which is eggshell and something slightly darker. Mainly because I have no idea what might look better.
The ceilings are double-height and we get a lot of light in the room during the day.
I prefer more modern minimalist styling, so if there was a way to jazz up this area I would be really happy!
Thank you for your time and expertise, Carrie

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    9 years ago

I would have to agree.... please keep in mind - you said you will be renting this place out in about a year... so keep what you do to a minimum - do not paint the cabinets - renters aren't always careful and you will wind up with scratched and chipped cabinets ( stained ones are easier to touch up )... I think when the floor goes in you will have a very different feel in this space....right now the finishes are a little too light for the darker cabinets.. the floors will really anchor them down... do a nice classic ( easy to clean ) subway tile on the backsplash. I like the idea mentioned by Maureen to paint the island a shade of grey and add some trim to it.... Now to jazz it up - do that with removeable pieces.... get a beautiful colorful basket for the top of the ref... or add a couple of floating shelves.... put a huge bouquet of flowers in the hands of the suit of armor or put a few pieces ( bold ) down by his feet... if you can, find a way to get some pendat lights hanging down over the island and get some really cool stools....maybe some curtain panels on that window on the left...

Good luck and have fun!

• Emmy
    9 years ago

I'd wait to get the floors in, because I think you're gonna love it the way it is once that's down. But if you DO want to change, I'd go for a nice, dusky teal shade.

• Carrie Kennedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all for your advice, it has really helped! I will come back when the floors are done with an updated photo. I like the idea of adding moulding, and painting it grey. I also have bought some bar chair stools. I think they'll look good, but I don't care if they don't match this kitchen perfectly, they'll match the next kitchen!

Should I put plants - Devils ivy or something above the cabinets? Is there a gadget to make watering them easier? I could put fake ones up there but the idea of them collecting dust and spiders all year long repulses me.

The ceiling is very high, I think about adding pendants over the bar counter all the time but I'm afraid of it being a big expensive job. Is it worth it?
  • Carrie Kennedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's a photo all the way to the ceiling, and a floor plan. This 'great room' is the worst. There are so many casual dining areas! The kitchen eating nook, the kitchen bar counter, and they area you enter from the front door was intended for a dining area too!

How about a large round red pot with a live plant in it on top of the fridge? I hate that my husband uses it to store liquor bottles and wine.
  • Carrie Kennedy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The floors are done! We love it. The house seems so much cleaner.
    I am planning on painting the island semi-gloss navy blue. is that a good idea?
  • pivoines
    8 years ago
    I love blues so navy sounds great to me , I would go for a midnight blue . (Navy with a jewelled tone to it ).
  • Depo
    8 years ago
    I wouldn't do semi-gloss, leave that for trim.