emacvet

White vs off white cabinet dilemma

emacvet

The current old dated kitchen with off white cabinets and butcher block counter needs to go. The problem is that when we first moved in we took down a wall and built a lovely 5 foot peninsula with fabulous cabinets to match the kitchen as it was. Now with the remodel granites colors I gavitate toward have true white in them not cream- like Super white, white fantasy, mont blanc etc. I like colors that movement, not spots and no brown in them. In addition the whole house is trimmed in true white- the windows, the doors, the crown moulding. Should I just scrap the the current pennisula and make the whole kitchen true white ? Does off white look dirty when you are not choosing brown tones for the granite?

I find off whites are always a bit of a problem sometimes they have a yellow, brown or gray base so nothing is simple. IMHO I would just do all new cabinets and be done with it.

• printesa

If the peninsula cabinets are off-white, I assume they are painted. Can you have all the cabinets painted white?

• emacvet

I inquired about painting the cabinets to match but the cabinets come from the factory painted perfectly and I was told it can't be done and look good

• emacvet

I keep worrying that the cream will look dirty against the white ceiling and adjacent white moulding. It kind of does now with the current kitchen but the whole kitchen is so old that your eye is distracted by the myriad of other flaws

• printesa

I don't know why painting everything the same color is not possible. Ask other cabinet makers for their opinion.