Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellywodetzki

Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???

Pippin
9 years ago

I am hoping to understand people's experience who have had Vermont Danby marble countertops installed - honed finish... What has been your experience? Has anybody had an 'enhancer' applied as well as final sealer (enhancer usually used on honed black granite) Is it a pain to maintain? Has it scratched up too easily (and if so do you find it easy enough to remove them/ sand them out) or have you been surprised at how well they have kept? Would love to hear about all experiences - good or bad!

Comments (144)

• Susan Elsea
    2 years ago

could you please share the method he showed you with the barkeep frend?

• HU-412879799
    2 years ago

has anyone installed olympian white with brass fixtures? trying to choose between the montclair vs olympian. thr montclair has a creamier undertone, but im worried its too busy

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

I have not but I don't see any problem with Olympian white and brass.

• LizzieInCali
    2 years ago

Here's a few pictures as promised, still need to finish toe kick under dishwasher and fridge. This was a remodel on a 1928 Spanish Style Home.

Next is the repair and refinishing of the hardwood floors in the living room and dinning room:

• PRO
    2 years ago

Your kitchen looks so beautiful, @LizzieInCali! Love the brass with the white, and the floors are so rich looking. The whole house is a gem! Enjoy!

• librarylane
    2 years ago

@lizzieincali gorgeous! what did you use for corner radius? Eased edges or something else (sharper or softer)?

• harrisondebi
    2 years ago

How will you do the toe kick under the dishwasher? Our kitchen is almost finished but that is something that you still needs to be done. Currently looks exactly like yours. Thanks!

• 1mariod
    2 years ago

LizzieinCali: did you paint the cabinets and if so, what paint color did you use. Love your kitchen.

• LizzieInCali
    2 years ago

@harrisondebi We had the cabinet maker paint an extra toe kick the length of that whole cabinet section. My husband will notch out for the dishwasher and use velcro to attach the toe kick to the already installed toe kick. We'll be doing the same with the sub zero fridge toe kick, right now the fridge toe kick sits to far in and I dont like how it looks. With having white oak hard wood floors and a full basement under the kitchen we want to be able to check on the dishawasher and ice maker hose for water issues before we have a huge mess on our hands.

• LizzieInCali
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@1mariod Thank you!!!

Yes my cabinets were painted by the cabinet maker in a conversion lacquer, I went with Benjamin Moore's Swiss Coffee formula.

• LizzieInCali
    2 years ago

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Thank you so much Diane, I truly appreciate your compliments, especially from a Professional. I'm finishing up my breakfast nook now. I'm waiting for the hubby to install my London Valance, install the top trim to the board and batten. I need to paint and decorate the corner hutch. This is what I have so far:

• LizzieInCali
    2 years ago

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Oh and I'm still looking for the perfect light fixture for the breakfast nook, I installed this for now:

• LizzieInCali
    2 years ago

@librarylane I think your asking about the marble counters? I went with a soft square edging.

• PRO
    2 years ago

So very charming! What wallpaper is that?

• LizzieInCali
    2 years ago

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC It's Schumacher Betty Quiet Pink Wallpaper.

• PRO
    2 years ago

I love Schumacher!

• LizzieInCali
    2 years ago

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Yes very beautiful......and pricey!!!! Sadly I had already spent money on another Schumacher wallpaper and I just wasnt feeling the color, Pyne Hollyhock in Indigo.....costly mistake. My son is buying a condo in DC, and I plan to use it on a half bath with the bottom part being wainscoting.

• librarylane
    2 years ago

Would love some feedback on a solid white Quartz that matches with Danby marble. Here are the two we’re looking at:

• Bianco canvas
    • Drift
      Our cabinets and walls are chantilly lace which is almost an exact match to Drift. Bianco canvas has a slight speckled look that concerns me slightly (cheap looking?).

What do you all think?

Photos below. TIA!

• librarylane
    2 years ago

FYI, kitchen is transitional/classic. With brushed brass hardware. Appliances are white (“rock candy” as seen in lt gray paper below).

• shaupt
    2 years ago

Where will the quartz be? also, what Danby type is that?

• PRO
    2 years ago

You have a lot of different whites going on, which is making it very tricky to get right. And it's exceedingly difficult to discern the nuances of whites from photos on a computer monitor. I'm sorry to say that the best way to decide is to look at everything in the room with the lighting to make the best choice.

• librarylane
    2 years ago

Thanks @diana! Yes, photo accuracy has been tough. We are moving forward with “Bianco” and hope it works well!

• Snap Girl
    2 years ago

We have Danby in our bathroom and my BF has it on her island so I am familiar with the material. It's absolutely beautiful. You MUST be comfortable with etching/spots/stains though.....it drove me crazy in my bathroom but now I accept the spots that products have left behind.

• librarylane
    2 years ago

We went with Danby on the island and backsplash, and Canvas Bianco Quartz on the perimeter. Cabinets are Chantilly Lace. Appliances are cafe white matte. (Don’t mind the missing hardware, pendants, and trim!)

• Susan Elsea
    2 years ago

Really beautiful!

• PRO
    2 years ago

Looks gorgeous!!!

• Kathy Savage
    2 years ago

@librarylane beautiful! love the Cafe appliances with Chantilly Lace cabinets, they work well together

• Sally T
    2 years ago

it is stunning! Who made your cabinets? What are you doing with the sink wall?

• 1mariod
    2 years ago

Love the Danby. You’ll enjoy walking into the kitchen each day.

• librarylane
    2 years ago

@SallyT Thx! Cabinets were custom (a carpentry shop in Bristol, CT that does a lot of NYC work). The sink wall has a 4” Quartz splash, and paint on the wall above; No tile. We will add a wall light above the sink. And are going to do artwork to the right of the sink, to provide some charm. Cabinet doors are still missing to right of stove, and window trim, that we need our carpenters to put back on. I’m still regretting we didn’t put in a bigger window above the sink, but alas, live and learn to go with your gut!

• Sally T
    2 years ago

@librarylane - thank you! I'm not that far from Bristol - do you mind sharing the name? And cost estimate range? I just love everything that you did - which hardware did you pick to match the brushed bronze cafe appliance? I got the same stove in stainless w. bb hardware.

• librarylane
    2 years ago

I chose not to do an exact match to the cafe handles. But there’s another Houzz thread that has specific ideas to do so (ie Jeffrey alexander and top knobs honey bronze). I chose signature hardware brushed brass. Re cabinets: It was around 25-30k, for a small kitchen. They aren’t “designers” per-se, just cabinet makers. I sketched out the layout myself and pulled very specific design references for them to match; they were outstanding. G & M Woodworking · 400 Middle St. Bristol, CT — they are a father and son team.

• Sally T
    2 years ago

thank you @librarylane! I'm down a rabbit hole with the cabinets and it's driving me crazy. That seems like a great price for those gorgeous cabinets. Do you have a link to the hardware?

• librarylane
    2 years ago

I know supply costs have gone up significantly, so can’t vouch that pricing would be the same now. Hardware isn’t final yet, but you can search for brushed brass on signature hardware website — photos are very color accurate IMO. Good luck!

• HU-141079775
    11 months ago

Monday is the day I have to decide witch direction to go.

I love Danby marble and I am think about using it on my perimeter cabinets. My cabinets will be white. Possibly Benjamin Moore OC-151 white.

I plan to use soapstone on my island and as a backsplash behind my stove because I like it and because I want a place to prep and eat that I wont worry about citrus and a place to safely put hot pans. Though I will use hot pads theres always “that moment”.

So Danby lovers out there, have any of you combined these stones in your kitchen and have any wisdom or encouragement to share?

• HU-141079775
    11 months ago

Which not witch.

• Sally T
    11 months ago

@HU-412879799 - i love Danby marble and soapstone together!

@librarylane - do you have photos of your finished kitchen? It's to die for!

• 1mariod
    11 months ago

I don‘t have that combo but I have danby on the perimeter white cabinets and have butcher block on my island for prepping. the danby has a few etches but I have cutting boards (remnants from the butcher block) near the stove. I love my Danby marble!

• PRO
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I have honed Olympian White Danby on most of the counter tops, with honed Jet Mist granite on the beverage bar. Jet Mist looks a lot like soapstone--black with subtle white markings--and works very well with Danby. I think Danby with soapstone would be a perfect combination!

• HU-918119203
    11 months ago

HU-141079775 I haven't, but I am either using Danby and soapstone or Danby and wood. It's a great combo!

I had honed black granite before and it's definitely a good soapstone alternative (not sure if it was Jet Mist or something else), but IME the honed surface did show water rings, oil, etc. so was higher maintenance than polished granite. That said, I inherited it from a prior owner and didn't do anything special to seal or maintain it.

• Pamela Prather
    11 months ago

I will be sure to share pictures when we get started.. The cabinets are just now being built. Thank you for your replies.

• HU-141079775
    11 months ago

Hope we didn’t make a mistake. Stone Source did not have any soaostone we liked. so we went with a honed black granite. I have seen somewhere that citrus might etch them which I was hoping to avoid with soapstone. They are honed on one side and leathered on the other. So, I might have to go with the leathered. I still chose Danby marble for my perimeter cabinets. I think I would like the honed granite better aesthetically to go with honed marble. Any thoughts while I have time?

• HU-918119203
    11 months ago

I lived with honed black granite for a few years. I did not notice much etching, and I was totally careless with it and did not seal it. My point was that a honed dark surface inherently shows things like oil and water marks more than a polished or light surface. I would not use leathered, not a fan of the finish, I agree it will clash with the marble finish, and it won't give you the soapstone look.

• Lisa
    11 months ago

Just installed honed Danby marble and feeling kind of bummed about it... there are little black flecks in highly visible areas that keep making me feel like my countertop is dirty. I saw the slab in person and my fabricator sent me a pic of the layout before they cut it but I didnt notice these black flecks until it was installed. Hopefully I will just get used to it.

• Sally T
    11 months ago

@Lisa - mine looks similar! Your marble is GORGEOUS and I can almost feel the butter-y nature of the marble by looking at the honed surface. I hope that you acclimate and love it!

• 1mariod
    11 months ago

Lisa, my danby counter also has those black specs but overall, I love my danby honed marble and enjoy going into the kitchen each morning and seeing it. I waited a long time to decide on marble and glad I did.

• PRO
    11 months ago

Ditto here--the black specks are part of the stone. It looks wonderful!

• adie03
    11 months ago

I remember feeling that way - within a few days I stopped noticing and love my marble very much! I have no doubt you'll feel the same way soon. It always takes time getting used to something big and new in a space. Your countertops look beautiful!

• Sally T
    11 months ago

@adie03 - do you mind posting photos of your marble? when was it installed? Thanks!

• HU-141079775
    8 months ago

Our Montclaire Danby Marble countertops are finally installed and I love them. The black island and stovetop backspash are Negresco granite.