Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davenjacky

Need help with lighting placement ASAP

davenjacky
9 years ago
We are re-doing our kitchen and adding an island. When we went outward from the kitchen and added on where our deck was, 3 Lama Beams (sp?) were added to support the division between the addition which has a peaked ceiling and the kitchen/ ceiling--which has to stay at 8 ft.
The problem is the island is to be 132"and part of the island extends into the room beyond the beam. The contractor cannot evenly space the lighting over the entire island because part of it extends into the room with the cathedral ceiling. He put the first light on the "extended" end as close to the beam as possible on the 8ft ceiling side. He then measured that distance from the other end, for the light on the other end-- then put the 3rd light between these 2 points.
So I feel like the lights are bunched in the center of the island behind the beam, but it doesn't look even when looking at the island as a whole....
We don't want to shorten it, because the other side of the existing kitchen layout is extending into the addition with double wall ovens and the island will match up with this.
Any ideas on how to make the lighting more evenly distributed over the island? My husband suggested a 4th light but I feel like I'll be limited to 4 very slim pendants and I'm not sure of what size I want.
The pics attached are the approx. length of the island marked with tape on the old floor (slightly longer I guess accounting for the countertop). The 2nd is a pic of the ceiling beyond the beam, showing the height of the peaked ceiling , the 3rd is trying to show you the location of the electrical cutouts for the pendants, and The last is looking from kitchen into addition,
Excuse the mess. Stuff is EVerYWhERe!!!!!
HELP Please! And Thank you so, so much!!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

where is the rest of the recessed lighting in the kitchen?

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

what you do here is re think the pendant idea over all. instead of trying to get light to the end......which cannot happen and squishing one up to a beam? you have to address this with a different set of eyes. as it also appears, they are not centered to anything, not the sink, not the island not the room.

So,
    first, you have a low ceiling so the option of pendant styles has to be very particular to scale.
    second, this room will be chopped up with to much clutter from the ceiling.
    third, where is the rest of the lighting for this room?
    fourth is this a working island or is there seating?
    fifth, what is the over all look for the space.
    i would put the first pendant centered over the sink. and the last on over the L portion. And I would also add can lighting around the whole room with a separate switch.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

There are lights that can be centered in the ceiling above the island where the light spans out on either side such as a pool table light fixture if you can visualize that. I'm not sure if you have one electrical site that is centered.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

low ceilings the island style light will be too bulky

• davenjacky
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes there are other lights in / near the kitchen. There's 12 recessed can lights in the " new" high ceiling room and that would have to light the part of the island that extends in there. Then in the kitchen there are 4 round surface LED lights that are around the regular sink and stove, one over the regular sink and 3 of the same LEDs on the other side of the island in the ceiling.
    Yes, there's an overhang on the island for seating/ four stools. Also, the island will have a medium sink and will primarily be used for food prep and hanging out/ informal eating.
    I've included the rough drawing that was sketched out by the lighting store guy giving us an idea where lights would be good.
    I wish there wasn't such a difference in the ceiling heights, but the bedrooms are above the kitchen.
    I didn't consider 2 larger lights evenly spread out.... What would be an appropriate size, and, what would be a good height?
    I've also included a picture looking the opposite direction towards the sink and window also. I probably have to consider the sight line to the window!
    I just can't see what would look good, and I appreciate everyone's opinion! Thank you!!
    Thank you all for your " fresh eyes"
  • davenjacky
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also, these are still the old cabinets, floors, paint etc. Thought I should throw that in...Lol!
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 years ago

I agree with Flair about the original placement (over the sink and over the end. But now seeing the overhead drawing, I am wondering if makes the most sense to treat the section of the island from the sink to the end as your "visual pendant" space. It's a tough call BC the sink is bisected by the overhang (assuming the drawing is close to scale.)

@Flair? Thoughts?

• davenjacky
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Whisper Design,
    Thank you for your comments. And thank you for the link to your article. I hung some shades up for a visual... I think I do like 2 larger lighting options rather than 3 pendants. Of course you know more about scale than me, and I don't want visual clutter.
    My husband measured and the first placement closest to the "beam" and the first closest to the other end are exactly the same. But, it wouldn't be if the light was over the sink.
    Do you think it would be more odd/ noticeable if the light isn't over the sink, or if the the measurements are off and the light is centered over the sink?
    I can't get a perfect picture because the boxes of flooring are piled up! I'm going to try putting them up like you suggested, spreading them out over the part of of the island in the kitchen only.
    It's kind of hard to do without the actual cabinets there! Thanks again for all your help.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

12 cans in the great room, and 4 lights in the kitchen? this room will be under lit. with odd brightness to one side. I hate it when 4 inch cans are plotted directly over your head, you will create shadows. better to light the room, and use good under cab lighting for task work. I agree 2 pendants. i like the pendant over the sink, and the other spaced acorrdingly but i would still move that box in, so it it centered over the sink. I LOVE THAT YOU MOCKED IT UP!!! So i would say shift them both a bit. and re think your lighting plan.

• davenjacky
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Flair Lighting,
    Hi. Thanks for your reply! There will actually be 8 LED can lights in the kitchen ..not counting the 2 or whatever I put over the island. There's 4 above the countertops from the fridge around to the counter by the stove. There's another one over the regular sink, and there's 3 on the other side of the island behind where the seating will be... About 1/2 way between the island and the wall. Where the flooring boxes are piled up.

Also, we planned on having led strips under the cabinets on dimmers. I saw another poster suggested they should be placed midway or to front of cabinets.. Not in the back because it makes the tile look funky! True?

When you say center one of the lights on the island "over the sink" are you talking the sink in the island or the sink under the kitchen window? I figured you mean by the window because the sink in the island is gonna be very close to the beam next to the high ceiling room, if not bisected by it.

Thank you so much for your input. If $$ was no option I'd pick a cute kitchen outta Houzz and say "I want this!" Lol.
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 years ago

I believe Flair was talking about centered over the island sink. Is it at all possible to shift the sink location toward the kitchen a bit. I too noticed how close the center of the sink was to the beam in your original mockup. Just wondering since it is "construction: phase if this is an option.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

what im worried about is how close they are plotted to the counter rather than more in the center of the room a bit. I bet the sink cannot be moved unless they can extend the pipe that is already located. if you cannot center over the sink i would center them to the length of the island from the beam back. also if you can have a switch that just turns on the main sink can that is always nice.