Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juneega

vinyl siding over stucco for curb appeal?

Junee Bug
9 years ago

We are finally almost done with the changes in the interior of our house and I wanted to tackle the exterior as well. We live in a hillside and we have to put up vinyl fencing for safety due to the 4 feet drop from our front yard as I have small children. What else can we do to update the curb appeal on this house? I don't really want to paint the stucco as It was just painted two years ago when we purchased this house and I feel like stucco is what the rest of the neighborhood has already. My style is more industrial/ranch/barn---i know, it's a lot-- I may have a confused style. Inside the house is more modern industrial but I feel the outside feels blah? We are also planning on keeping the brick and having the driveway paved or laid with concrete to match the brick. TYIA!

--fyi, the signage is not there anymore, it was from Thanksgiving and my kids thought it was fun to put a banner up :)

juneega's ideas · More Info

Comments (23)

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago

Since you have stucco on your house already, going with vinyl isn't that big a deal, but if there's a fire near your house, the vinyl siding will melt within about 3 minutes.

Vinyl siding is a petroleum product so if your house catches on fire, it will burn hotter than a normal house fire causing more damage. The smoke from the vinyl is far more toxic than normal smoke so if you're caught in it, changes are you're going to die of smoke inhalation. This is what my husband told me when we were discussing our neighbors trying to burn a stump out of their yard 6 feet from their vinyl sided house My husband is a career firefighter with 30 years experience, and has seen this.

Junee Bug thanked hayleydaniels
  • Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    have you considered putting an entrance into your yard from the street?

to soften the retaining wall, I would plant several creeping fig vines and have them grow over the edge and down the retaining wall. it will grow more slowing than if it were growing up a retaining wall, but it will cover it.

I would guess that your children play in the front yard. Thus, you need children friendly landscaping. is this correct?

since you are going to replace the fence, I place the new fence so that you can make a planting bed between it and the retaining wall.

in the bed, I would plant a row of plants drought tolerant plants such as kangaroo paws in front of the new fence.

this gives you a few ideas to think about and another concern is water usage. are you considering xeriscaping (lthat is, landscaping that requires very little water)?
    Junee Bug thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • PRO
    John Barton Architect
    9 years ago
    I agree that vinyl siding would be the last thing I would do. I like the idea of some vibes draping over the retaining wall. Hard to tell from the picture if the windows have any exterior trim but if not, you might try adding some detailing around the windows. If you are going to keep the stucco the grey color, you might try doing an overlay stain on the bricks to give them a tint that would be more compatible with the stucco. Try a few samples on some spare bricks to make sure you are happy with the result . Good luck!!
    Junee Bug thanked John Barton Architect
  • Junee Bug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the great ideas! Yes, I can't have any plants that attract bees or might poke my kids. The reason I mentioned vinyl siding vs wood is because we get a lot of termites in my area and we thought less wood the better, didn't really think of the fire hazard but that's a scary thought! We Ihate that my windows aren't same sizes, I was thinking of getting a tall plant/tree to cover that wall next to window? this pic was from last fall so my plants aren't so pretty but I have rose bushes and hydrangeas in front. I love the idea of hanging plant! And no---- i can't open up the wall for walkway as this is the only grassy yard I have that my kids can play in, being in the hill our back area is 6 ft retaining wall to our second level and whatever is left is paved yard. Btw, my stucco is mocha and not gray, same color as the retaining wall. Should we do a different color concrete on driveway? Like lighter version of our brick?

• Junee Bug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I will take a better pic, I can see now why it can look gray, my front door is black metal screen over brick red wooden door, here's a look facing front door, the metal door I hate! But it serves a purpose for my two year old at this time so we kept it, it will go I promise!

• Junee Bug
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Raining in L.A.!

• Junee Bug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Should i plant a climbing vine on my pergola to soften it? I can't repaint the bright white as the fence is vinyl bright white too and those I can't paint.

• PRO
    Old House Guy LLC
    9 years ago

Actually you can paint vinyl as long as it is not a dark color.

Junee Bug thanked Old House Guy LLC
  • Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    I would plant a vine on your pergola.

I would suggest a climbing rose that does not have thorns such as a yellow Lady Banks. if you do not like yellow, it comes in white and pink.
    Junee Bug thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your home is really adorable and you chose well for the fencing. It has a MCM or cottagy feel to it but not really industrial. If you change the mail box to stainless steel and a more modern shape that would help as would lighting that is more modern/industrial. A more modern bench would help the transition. How about an industrial sculpture on the blank wall like large gears or something rusty and steel?

Junee Bug thanked Dar Eckert
  • PRO
    Kemora Landscapes
    9 years ago

You have a lovely home! It seems like you are focused on the actual facade but since you asked for advice on overall curb appeal, I am just going to mention updating the landscape. This works wonders in amping up that curb appeal! Since your yard looks pretty good already, I think adding maybe three structural shrubs (hydrangeas, lilacs, physocarpus, viburnums) on that left side of your house would be great in adding some structure/form to your landscape. I would consider planting a few evergreen shrubs (boxwood or yews) for that winter interest as well. I can't see all the way to the left, but if it's in your budget, I would recommend adding an ornamental tree. A japanese maple, or a blooming serviceberry or redbud would look great! There are so many options. And even a pot or window box filled with annuals guarantees color and character for each season! Good luck!

Junee Bug thanked Kemora Landscapes
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago

If you are set on industrial look, perhaps the area around the front door could be covered with an industrial material like corten steel, corrugated metal, black painted metal etc. Check out industrial exteriors in Houzz for examples.

• Junee Bug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow, thank you so much for these great ideas! I love the industrial look but I just didn't know how to bring it out, I am probably going to get some wine barrel planters? or maybe metal pots? I did go out and buy a new light fixture! And where can I get those big carriage wooden wheels or metal gears? My husband likes modern and I like industrial, I don't mind the cottage/barn look either so that's why the fence was my style than his. The pergola was already there when we purchased the house and It was a nice shade in the summer so we also kept it. I think I am fine with a cottage industrial for the exterior as that would mean I can keep the stuff I already have. So no siding then. What about exterior shutters for windows or does that make it more country looking?

• Junee Bug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the light fixture I picked, we haven't installed it yet but it is 16" tall.

• Junee Bug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And I will start looking at those climbing plants... but my husband will absolutely not be happy as he thinks vines rot wood and might attract insects. we get termites in california thus the vinyl idea on siding and why we picked our fence that way.

• Junee Bug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

do you think painting my victorian mailbox in black and bronze will make it look more industrial as it is already in metal?

• PRO
    Old House Guy LLC
    9 years ago

Black is good it won't jump out as much. You have a Ranch House with a Victorian mailbox and an Arts & Crafts pergola. Try not to mix styles. Let you home be what it was designed to be and you will be surprised how it will work together. All these features are nice but when you have one style of architecture and try to add other random elements you can create confusion.

• PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    9 years ago

Glad this is the direction the conversation is taking. The vinyl would have not done anything for your home. As far as the termites there should be a treatment for those on exterior.. I don't know much about termite treatments but it seems like an exterminator could spray something around the home?

• Junee Bug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yeah we had the house tented when we purchased it and we get treatment every year for termites but because of the cost of this, we want to avoid more exposed wood that touches ground. plus it doesn't help that our next door neighbor does not do anything to their termite infested wood and termite company told me they fly apparently! They also only treat the house, not fencing or exterior. I will get new mailbox, its a cheap fix anyway. I know my house is a lot of things mixed up, the old owners style was beach theme even! Oh if I could only afford to build it all on my own! Everything will be one style :) but...we will get there somehow, albeit more help and slowly!

• losthorizonlisa
    9 years ago
    Termites come from the ground up, so treatment is usually in the ground around the base of the house. I've had both on and off grade houses that were treated annually....we call it a termite bond in Florida. (with on grade, they drill through the concrete to the ground around the perimeter.)

Some of the treatments should technically last years, but they spray annually anyway.

Yes, termites swarm / fly, but they still need to get to the ground and water...where they will die from the treatment. As long as they are doing an annual inspection and treatment, I wouldn't worry about it.

Re: mailbox... It looks like white vinyl...but even if you spray paint it, the style will be Victorian. I opted for spray paint until I can afford the mailbox I want.. :)
    Junee Bug thanked losthorizonlisa
  • losthorizonlisa
    9 years ago
    My annual termite bonds have run from $50 to $175 per year. I consider it a part of home maintenance and insurance... Like keeping up with central air or water heaters. Part of the bond is that they will re-treat if any signs of infestation, plus they will pay for wood repair if there is damage.
    Junee Bug thanked losthorizonlisa
  • Junee Bug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On the side note. I purchased new planters and wanted some feedback on my choices, I initially wanted some pop of color since my house is so brown and has a lot of bright white. What do u think about these vases I added as part of landscape, Im going to put hanging plants coming out from it and more blooms around it but my hubby thinks the blue is not looking good with brick? He tends to go with beige and brown and im over it. In fact, I plan to put a blue ceramic planter to tie in the vase with my front door planters that are in cream and brown hues. yay or nay to my vase? Its heavy and I hate to have to return it but its also pricey and I don't want to be wasteful if it doesn't work for my house? Help!