Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerry147

Help with my Living Room! Too Brown????

jerry147
9 years ago

Hello –

I am looking on advice on what to do with my living room. I
think I may have gone too brown! Hopefully it’s not too late to recover.

I just bought the cubed coffee tables and although it will
be a HUGE pain to return, I am considering buying the reclaimed pine table below
to lighten the room. I’ve attached a picture of the wood on the recliner in
case the two different types of woods wouldn’t look well together.

http://www.bostoninteriors.com/furniture/living_room/coffee_accent_tables/coffee_tables/harper-coffee-table.cfm

I was also thinking about buying this picture and hanging it
above the couch:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Tree-in-Solitude-Large-3-piece-Oil-Canvas-Painting/9595646/product.html?searchidx=0

I was hoping to get advice on:

Should I buy the new coffee table? Will it make
a big difference? Can I match those two woods?

Is there anything I can do to brighten the room
and not return the coffee tables or is it too late?

What end table can you guys suggest for the
corner?

Any general suggestions you can provide would be
great!

Thanks!

Comments (117)

• jerry147
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Carolins -

Can you tell me where you found the floor lamp, chrome chairside table, curtains and painting? Thanks!
  • Carolina
    9 years ago

Here are the links, but keep in mind that I guestimated sizes for the mock-up of your room, so check if I did it correctly and if you really like what I put in there. I do these mock-ups to give people ideas. I'm happy if something I picked really speaks to you, but I haven't seen the items in real life, so hopefully they are just as good as they seem to be on the photos :-)

Floorlamp and side table: Lampsplus http://www.lampsplus.com/products/emory-bronze-finish-downbridge-floor-lamp__3h392.html

and

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/clarence-textured-metal-nickel-stool__2h252.html

Art: GalleryDirect http://www.gallerydirect.com/art/product/justin-garcia/chromaticity-vii

and http://www.gallerydirect.com/art/product/sara-abbott/city-park-i

The curtains: I just copied a photo off the internet.

• LORDON Lane
    9 years ago
    Don't know if u like purple but I found it to b complimentary to brown. I did a room in this combination. To brighten things up I accented w chromes n whites n added purple accessories around. This seems to b a loungey room I would place a fabric bench under the window. Purple bolster pillow for the chair n 2 smaller accent pillows for the couch. If not purple apple green is also complimentary to brown. Just switch up the colors.
  • LORDON Lane
    9 years ago
    If u want major wow factor try this. I did a room where I hung those really cheap white shear curtains from ikea ( $4.99 ) all around a room from ceiling to floor. accented part of one wall w another textured fabric. Cheap n easy n man the WOW factor.
  • Ann
    9 years ago

I really do like Carolins choices, even seeing them more closely at the websites. How wide is the back portion of your sofa. I think the 48" width art might work well. I like that large art choice very much!

• jerry147
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ann - Couch is about 85"

• Ann
    9 years ago

Is that the back of the couch or outside of arm to outside of arm?

• jerry147
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Arm to arm
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago

Not too late at all, as you're far from done. Think of an accent color and embrace it. Greens, blues, lavenders work great with dark brown. No more brown. You need side panels too.

• d_kazani
    9 years ago
    It's lovely, I would throw some brighter colored throw pillows on the sofa.. And if you really need to save money spray paint the coffee tables ( minus the glass ) hehe!! And I think you've already done a beautiful job. Good luck!!
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I haven't read all but saw a nice photoshop, but at first I thought to glue fabric [how] under the glass tops, or glass paint. Scrape off with razor blade.... not very elegant sounding.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

I like your room arrangement as it is (with sofa legs pulled one foot onto rug & part of chair legs also on rug). I really do think you have made the best with your existing furniture. I love the two glass tables. Choose your accent color(s) major accent & minor accent color & run with it.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Ikea has the best quality draperies for the price & choices. Pick your color in grommet top drape & hang just below ceiling to the floor. You will probably need 2 pairs. Also look at their side tables (say in white) and their LED lamps. I also like art.com for art, pick horizontal about 48" W X 24" or 36" H above the sofa. Also can use a piece of art between the windows & two as shown by carolins one above the other. Don't neglect the narrow wall as you come down the stairs. That section of wall can use a tall mirror.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Also the knit pouf stool as carolins showed as well as a bright colored ceramic garden stool to add color along with your accent pillows. Don't forget a live plant or two. I would place the floor lamp on the left side of your sofa & pick one in a brushed nickel.

You could use two hanging shelves such as carolins showed only stagger them by the bar & use white. Place the garden stool next to the chair with the side table on the other side of the chair with a brushed nickel table lamp & a plant on it.

Add books to your one of the glass tables with an oval brushed nickel bowl for the remote on the other glass table. Have fun shopping & arranging. Please post some 'as you go' photos.

• Ann
    9 years ago

I think the 48" art would work.

• lonczakm
    9 years ago
    this is such a great post and I've learned a lot! Thanks designers, now I have ideas for my too tan living room. Neutral base, artwork for inspiration, pull a color or two from artwork for accents. I've. noticed that restraint is really important and that over doing accent colors can make the space too busy. is there a rule for number of objects in the accent color(s)?
  • Carolina
    9 years ago

@ lonczakm: there's a rule for using colours: 60-30-10 rule it's called: 60% (walls) of a dominant colour, 30% (upholstery) of a secondary colour, 10% (accessories) of an accent colour. But I'd forget that rule (just keep it somewhere in the back of your mind) and just follow your gut feeling. What also really works well is using your accent colour at least 3 times in the room. Can be in different tones, and not all in one place (dot it around the room) so your eyes go around and keep finding that colour. Works always.

For example: the use of orange in this photo. If you hold your thumb over the orange throw in the foreground the room looks unbalanced, less 'grounded'.

Long Island Dutch Colonial Home · More Info

Same here, if you remove the yellow throw it suddenly gets a bit uncomfortable and boring. See how the painting on the fireplace, the pillow and the yellow throw form a triangle? As do the orange accents in the room above. Always works.

Bettendorf, Iowa - Jennifer Home (by Windmiller Design) · More Info

• Carolina
    9 years ago

lol... you have to click on the Long Island photo to see the orange throw.

• jerry147
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carolins - I do like the floor lamp you chose, but felt it might be better in an antique bronze or else it just kind of blends in with everything on that wall. Unfortunately, they don't offer it in that color.

I found this lamp:

https://www.houzz.com/products/westbury-white-shade-brass-swing-arm-floor-lamp-prvw-vr~12612440

What do you think? I wanted to hear your opinion on whether or not it would work.

I'm on the fence on the stool. I like the idea, but the color seems very loud in the room. I'm guessing that is the intention. If I go with the antique brass lamp, I assume I shouldn't mix three different colors of metal in that room (bronze, antique brass, and nickel)?

• Ann
    9 years ago

Jerry, I like this lamp you found but I like the one from Carolins rendering better. I like its more interesting shape and like the way the dark metal is a nice contrast to the wall color and ties in nicely with the sofa tables and sofa color. If you get the yellow art (which I'm very fond of), I like the way the dark metal contrasts with it too. I agree to not mix the three metals in the room. I think it's one too many metals.

• Carolina
    9 years ago

Hi Jerry, to be honest, I'm not a fan of the lamp you found. How about this one from Crate & Barrel or something like it? More modern. I actually prefer this one to the one in the earlier mock-up.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/castillo-black-floor-lamp/s345687

And the table I've put with the chair here is from Pier One.

• jerry147
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Carolin. I actually like the first light you suggested. I've placed the order so it should arrive soon!

Do you have any ideas of what color curtains those would be? I just ordered some beige ones from Amazon and they seem to blend to much. I know you pulled that image down randomly, but didn't know if you had insight to what color they were or I should be looking for or if you had any suggestions. Thanks!

• Ann
    9 years ago

The drapes in Carolins pics look like more of an off white or cream. Do you have pics of the ones from Amazon, just held up to the window, or did you return them?

• Carolina
    9 years ago

Off-white or cream I think, Ann is right.

I like grommet or back-tab curtains. Not a fan of rod pocket, they always look a bit messy to me. I think grommet (pole through rings) will be nice in your room. It's only for framing the window, you have blinds so you don't have to be able to close them. If you hang them fairly close to the ceiling and have them just or almost touching the floor it will be perfect.

• Carolina
    9 years ago

It would also be nice if they had a bit of texture. Silk or faux silk will be too smooth and shimmery.

• jerry147
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Home-Fashion-Insulated-Blackout/dp/B003S6O7A2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1426092805&sr=8-10&keywords=beige+curtains

Maybe they're not as bad as I thought. I'm putting up the curtain rods this weekend so I'll be able to tell then :) I went with shorter ones since it looked "cleaner", plus I needed the window by the stairs to also match and I think full drapes would look too messy since the window sits right next to the stairs and the drapes would be sitting on the stairs.

• kristinanadreau
    9 years ago

please keep looking for art work that you really like. not a triptych.

• Ann
    9 years ago

Also, please keep posting pics as your new things arrive. I like your room and this is a fun dilemma.

• Carolina
    9 years ago

Think the colour of the curtains you bought is pretty good. Not keen on short curtains, but there we are... :-) Probably a good solution for your windows, with the stairs and the vents in the floor.

• jerry147
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes will keep you all updated as I start putting pieces together!
  • Ann
    9 years ago

Oh gosh, I just saw the part about short curtains. I really don't think I'd go that way. Please consider roman shades instead if you don't want full length curtains. Pottery Barn sells nice roman shades. We've ordered several for my daughter's home and they're quite nice. Please, no short curtains:)

• Carolina
    9 years ago

Just read Ann's comment and it makes me realize that I'd rather see no curtains than short curtains. You have Venetian blinds, so just those are okay. Or if you want to change them for Roman blinds, for a softer, more finished look, please do so. But yeah... Ann is right: please, no short curtains ;-) They seldom look good.

• Ann
    9 years ago

Good point Carolins. The Venetian blinds are far better than short curtains.

• ornelas
    9 years ago

these are all great ideas. You have the base, you just need to finish up with some colorful accents. I'd put a lamp in that corner, not a table.

jerry147 thanked ornelas
  • jerry147
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure the lamp came out looking the way planned. Looks a bit out of place and puny? I'm considering returning it.

I'm also thinking that for functionality I may want an end table (preferably one with a drawer, but not necessarily). I hate to match the coffee table with the end table because it looks cookie-cutterish and lacks creativity, but I was thinking of just matching them with the one found in the link below:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/tanner-round-side-table/?pkey=ccoffee-side-console-tables%7Cside-tables%7C&;

Or a brass cube and add a lamp?

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/patina-brass-cube/s336868

What are your thoughts? I recall you recommending the end table from Pier 1. Any other ones you would recommend?

• Ann
    9 years ago

I don't think this lamp is bad, but maybe a bit short. Other that height, I don't think it looks out of place at all.

I have the Tanner round side table and it's very nice but I think it's too close in style to your coffee tables. The brass cube is only 18" tall - I think that will be too short. Also, if the bar stays in that corner, it looks like a side table like the 24" Tanner round table will not fit. How about the Crate and Barrel floor lamp Carolins put in her latest rendering? That looks fantastic and it's a nice height at 63".

• jerry147
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply Ann. The space between the couch and the wall is about 24-25" and I can probably gain an inch or two by pushing the couch over to the bar by a bit.

I just think a table might be more functional, that's why I'm looking to see if there are any good ones that might be a good fit.

Yes, the Tanner round side table would be close in style because the coffee tables are the Tanner Cubes from PB :)

• Ann
    9 years ago

No wonder they look so similar, lol:). Maybe Carolins will see this and be able to do a rendering with a side table so you can see the look. I feel it might look a bit odd since the height of the table on one side and bar on the other will be so different.

• jerry147
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Couldn't I balance out the height with a lamp?
  • Carolina
    9 years ago

Hi,

hmm, lamp does look a bit dinky. Don't really like it :-( But I do like the linen shade, brings a bit of texture in (can you put the two pillows on one side of the couch? I think the left side as we look at it.)

Not keen on the PB end table. Too similar to the cubes and too 'cold'. Here's a mock up. Again, guestimated sizes, so could be wrong :-) Made the curtains short too, for us to see how that looks. I always think that if there's nothing below, like a radiator or a table, that gives it a reason to be so short, it looks odd.

• Carolina
    9 years ago

If you decide to return the lamp (although the longer I look at it, the better it looks)... what do you think of this PB lamp? With a large lamp shade...

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/chelsea-floor-lamp-base/?pkey=cfloor-lamps&#viewLargerHeroOverlay

• Carolina
    9 years ago

Oh, sorry, just noticed your comment Jerry. I really like the one with the wooden top. Second choice would be the glass top, wooden shelves. Only metal and glass would be a no for me. Doesn't give you the texture and interest.

But I rather like the personality of a wooden block like in the mock up above. No? Westelm has a natural tree stump side table too.

• Carolina
    9 years ago

Hmm... I don't really like the bar sign. Should be lower anyway, I put it up too high there.

• Carolina
    9 years ago

Just a thought

• Ann
    9 years ago

I like the Pottery Barn lamp Carolins found but I don't like the wooden block table (maybe it's just that one I don't like:). I also think the current lamp is fine and it's growing on me too. I like the West Elm wood top table but its size isn't great for a table lamp. It is so narrow that the shade of a good sized table lamp would be wider than the table and look a bit odd. Now, if there is room for a floor lamp in back and a narrow side table like that in front of it, that would look fine. That configuration would depend on the distance from the front of the sofa arm to the wall the back of the sofa is against. I really, really hope you decide to return the short curtains. Much, much better with no curtains than short curtains!

• jerry147
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the great ideas.

I found an end table that I really like that is 24" high. After measuring my couch it seems like the middle of the arm rest is 24" high but the front and the back are 23" high. Will this still work or will it look funny? Also how much room should I leave between the couch and the end table? Thanks!
  • Cheryl Smith
    9 years ago

sorry - but I think you are way over thinking it. buy things you like, in colors you like. if something feels "off" to you, don't get it. move things around till you find the arrangement or more than one arrangement you like and go for it. if you only have things you feel good about, the room will feel good too. we all have different tastes and lifestyles. what I like and works for me might not be something you care for. I like to change things around in a room myself, even with the same things it makes me feel good, like I've redecorated, but I've really only moved furniture. finish it now so you have a finished room, but keep on looking for that perfect something that you like better. I've gotten to where it doesn't have to be perfect, but its perfect for now. if you don't spend a lot on pictures and pillows, they can be changed out with the seasons or just whenever you get tired of that color