Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epicurious

Beautiful interior, confusing exterior. Need ideas please.

Sibarita
9 years ago

We bought this house a few months ago. It's a midcentury with a more recent addition. We are almost done renovating the interior of the house which is looking just fantastic: light filled, clean and open floor plan and even though it has a very modern feeling the use of organic, warm materials make it less severe than some ultra-contemporary homes. I couldn't be happier with the results. The exterior...well, just look at it. The colors, textures, lines are pretty awful and I go from viscerally hating the river rock in the wall to trying to embrace it. I have seriously though of removing the rocks, doing white walls (thick siding?) a wide vertical strip of charcoal/navy bricks and perhaps some touches of a deep almost burnt orange wood that would go with the front door....and then I go back to entertaining the idea of white washing the stone and changing the whole color palette of the house. I grew up in Brittany and I remember just loving the old, decrepit stone walls of the traditional French farm houses of the region. Granted, these houses were ancient and had completely different architectural lines than mine so perhaps those rocks have to go in my ambiguous mid-century...or do they? Any ideas?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz