Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
viennah

Finishing my mint and grey bedroom

viennah
9 years ago

I put in a grey 'driftwood' laminate flooring in my bedroom and painted the walls mint, which I love. I stained my furniture a darker shade of grey. However, the room now feels a bit too 'cold' and I'd like to add some warmth back.

I have an 'accent wall' that I left white, and it has the window on it, but it also has a structural column which I painted pink. I thought it would come out more as coral, but it really looks pepto bismal pink, and now I HATE it. It feels too much like a 'tropical theme', and while I love the tropics, I hate themed rooms!

I also have a pink sheet set which I need to replace.

So I'm thinking of getting new sheets and painting the column to warm up the room.

How about painting the column beige? Light beige? darker beige? a greyer beige? Or maybe chocolate brown? or more of a gold colour?

And maybe beige or taupe sheets? or how about navy?

And maybe adding a headboard? Navy? Grey? Beige? Gold? Ivory? Wood? Fabric???

Comments (2)

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago

Parade Home · More Info

The thing about painting something like the post is that if it doesn't work out [which it didn't], you can always repaint. Get samples of the colors you're thinking of to try as the light in the room impacts how the color looks.

The other think I would do if this was my room is to get some art work on the walls. Find pictures or iron work or whatever that reflects your personality so when you walk in your room, you see things that are 'you.' This will greatly enhance your enjoyment of the room as it will feel like where you belong.

West End Studio · More Info
    Reclaimed Wood Modern Platform Bedroom · More Info

You could go with a panoramic picture above the bed and a few decent sized pictures on the other walls.

Another way to bring charm to the room is with a headboard. Depending on your style, you could have one made that looks like the weathered wood flooring you put in, or maybe an iron or brass bedframe would look great too. Weathering wood is very easy using a solution of white vinegar and steel wool used in sanding. You let it sit for a few days till it's the color you want, and then paint it on your wood. Check youtube for videos on how to do it.

Sorry about the text. I don't know what happened.....

• viennah
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks, I love the reclaimed/weathered wood headboard idea, but not sure if I should stay in grey tones since the rest of my furniture, including the bedframe, are stained grey, or go with a more natural/bleached wood look like the photos posted. (the floor in the living room is a white-washed/bleached version of the laminate in the bedroom, so I think the weathered/reclaimed look with all work together)

And I will be putting up some artwork and things on the walls, there isn't any up yet because I had to rent out my apartment for a year, but now that I'm moving back, I can start personalizing a bit more. I have a vintage free-form shaped mirror with a white wood frame, there's really nothing else like it.