Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agilborder

Can I keep the oak and make this work?

agilborder
9 years ago
I recently bought a 1993 coastal home in CA to retire in. It is a 3000 Sqft 3 BR, 4BA architect designed home on a spectacular site and has huge window volume all focussed on the ocean. The house has a rustic element in keeping with the natural wild surroundings, but the woodwork is refined and all oak.

The oak is light and warm, but entirely matte finished which is good. It is excellent in quality and the kitchen has a great mix of deep drawers, 2 banks of shallow drawers, a recycling center, a wine cabinet behind doors, and lots of storage including back hallway cabinets and a huge pantry. The countertops are cream tile and the backsplash is as well...not a fan of those.

There is a huge amount of oak cabinetry and built ins in this house ( each BR has huge oak built ins and window seats and baths are oak as well as a built in China cabinet in great room) all the metals are brass. Appliances are all black, sinks/toilets are white/off white Koehler.

There is a huge rustic rock fireplace In the great room with buff flagstone hearth and one in the master as well. The fireplaces are real wood...perfect on a cool NorCal evening. The ceilings are rough cedar planks on big beams, there is w/w carpeting in buff color in every room and Saltillo tile in kitchen, entry and back hallways and also in the entry courtyard which flows seamlessly through the front doors to the ocean on the back.

The dilemma is how to work with all the oak which is somewhat refined, and all the rustic elements. I had the only designer who works in this area in who just said "it is a just a matter of where to stop removing the oak". Which was all she could say in every room she went through. It was almost comical...she just couldn't get past the amount of oak. And although I can afford to tear out all the oak and replace it with more trendy stuff, it just seems kind of ridiculous to tear out perfectly good cabinets...and a lot of them just to meet the latest trends.

My previous two homes were both high end all the bells and whistle homes. I am a cook and found commercial ranges to have small ovens and be difficult to clean...you had to take them apart to do so! I don't feel that a $10,000 range, a $2500 microwave and a $12,000 refrigerator, warming drawers or wine chillers made me a better cook or entertainer, so I really don't need them now, especially with the retirement coastal lifestyle. I like my 6 burner cooktop here. Hood, micro, oven and Fridge all work fine, but are 20 years old...

I love a serene home, low contrast, soft color...easy care fabrics and letting the architectural elements and outdoor views take the stage. I have a dog, so easy fabrics, easy floors and comfort is what I want. Most of my furniture is greige ( the couches which are actually an old sectional pulled apart, were left here and new ones are on the way). My new sofas will be slightly modern, tight backed, squared arms and in a sunbrella linen stone color. I plan to place them the way the current ones are placed with one facing the fireplace, one facing the ocean. The rest of the furniture is new with dark tables and coffee, and a rustic but modern butterfly joined walnut plank sofa back. Lamps are Target now to be replaced and add sofa side tables when the sofas get here.

We have met with our contractor to choose wide planked grayed hardwood flooring where you can see the grain laid in long strips parallel with the long direction of the great room. This would go in all the carpeted areas of the home. Would that work in this scheme...? I was trying to stay away from more tanish woods since cedar ceiling and oak cabs are here.

So, how can I meld the refined oak, the rustic fireplaces and ceiling, my greige soft goods, and dark case goods together. Am I on the right track to make this work? What improvements should make to the kitchen area without removing the oak that might make the room look a bit less dated. Although I loathe stainless steel, would it be best to add SS appliances to the kitchen to reduce contrast that the black ones create? Can I keep the Saultillo? What countertop and backsplash materials and color would be good here..., marble, solid, soapstone...?I'm a geologist so not afraid of rock.. New hardware? If so...what finish? Ironically I am seeing brass again in all the mags....

I like the layout of the kitchen, but have considered cutting the end of the peninsula near the sink off to make an island...preferably at counter height rather than raised. I don't like the raised as it seems to not be as inviting, so I don't have stools yet... Would this be an improvement, or should I just stay with a peninsula? We live very casually and typically don't have much clutter around. We entertain some, but never more than 6 people for dinner.

I appreciate any help I can get as there is only one designer nearby ( I live pretty remote in a small coastal community) and she was the one ready to start the chainsaw on the oak! haha

Thanks for your consideration!
Pamela Jo

Comments (46)

• agilborder
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are a couple more photos,
    Pamela Jo
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago

I would change the flooring and keep the cabinets

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

I agree the woodwork is excellent.. I would change the floors and re-evaluate then. Even the countertops are so good it seems a shame to change them.

You have a few options with flooring, either you go with your grayed wood (would love to see a picture) or a darker wood, like a walnut, or a white washed. You could also try getting saltillo tile and continue, or change to a slate tile.

I would change the hardware, change your appliaces. and call it a day for now. in the bathroom I would remove the mirror and get single mirrors and new lighting. I would really live in the house before changing.

• miacometlady
    9 years ago
    New counters for sure. That would give you the opportunity to tear out elevated peninsula ledge. Now you can extend new counter onto LR side to allow for seating. If not just finish to edge. If you plan to retire and live in home for as long as possible- consider new floor. Those tiles are hard on anyone who stands on them while cooking but tricky for those with unsure reflexes. Your backslash is ok, I like subway more but you can add a pop of personality if this is your forever house. Good luck!
  • alicejean
    9 years ago
    Such a nice house! I would eliminate two-tier counter, update countertops and appliances and live with it for awhile.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

OK just read you wanted to change countertops. try icestone. I just recommended this to another houzzer

or try a dark brown recycled quartz. in truth you could do a granite such as copper dunes too.

• Virginia
    9 years ago

What a beautiful house, and the ocean views will be wonderful to live with. I agree that it might be good to live there for a bit, before launching into a renovation. Libradesigneye has some excellent suggestions. I'd replace the tile kitchen and bathroom counters with a solid surface--much easier to maintain without all that grout. Quartz is "green" and very durable. For the kitchen, you might want to see if your appliances come in grey rather than going the stainless route (I don't like stainless either). I'm seeing a lot of grey these days in appliances and it would work with the greyed wood floors. The kitchen needs a little shot of color though--all the grey and brown tones here and the neutrals in the adjacent spaces are rather subdued. I think some green, blue, or aqua tones would work well with the neutrals. You might consider it for the small amount of wall space and backsplash in the kitchen. A personal fave of mine is Tiffany blue, sort of a robin's egg or agua that has a bit of punch without being overly bright. Very best of luck settling into your beautiful new retirement space.

• Leslie Brooks
    9 years ago
    Gray will not look good with oak. Warm and cool in that kind of contrast is a clash. I love your floor. Change your countertops and the hardware. Then see how it looks. You may find the warm oak is especially nice on sunny winter days. Try paint in yellow, cream, or sage. These colors work very well with oak.
  • dorisdayrockhudson
    9 years ago
    Beauty of a home! I would paint the oak cabinets if they are in good shape.
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago

While I have not seen the floor you selected, there is a range out there of flooring. Some are quite plain gray, and some are driftwood toned gray with both browns and creams and grays mingled together . . what in a paint shade would be termed a warm gray. I posted a paint color above that is in this vein. If you selected the warm gray toned floor it will be beautiful with your blond wood and fireplace. If you selected a straight gray / iron gray toned floor, then you want to add in more shades of gray and black in your decor.

I saw after someone else wrote that you dislike SS. I appreciate that - just use the black ones that you have until they require replacement. Then, however, for resale, in a house like this, I think you will want to select SS, or you could buy those that accept panels (frig and dishwasher) and have some new panels stained to match your existing cabinets, so the entire thing is seamless

• Lori
    9 years ago

so I would totally paint all the oak white, put in those cool gray floors, add a recycled glass countertop. I think everything looks to be in good shape, but oak is dated, no matter how you look at it, in my opinion.

Love the house -- hope you keep us updated on your progress!

• greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Congrats on the beautiful home. I wouldn't remove any of the oak, but I wouldn't feel guilty painting some, like in the bathroom or bedrooms. You could have fun and do some bright colors. Your hardwoods sound pefect-agree w sacapuntalapioz to 86 the tile floors, bar height counter, and the countertops.
  • agilborder
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow, thank you for all the suggestions! Vapapan, Our punch color that we want to use is a warm blue-green that comes from our Van Briggle Art Pottery. The window seat in the great room is also that color. See pics of pottery and window seat. I am cognizant that if I want to change the punch I shouldn't put it in a backsplash. This house had pink and Aqua as its punch when we moved here and each bath has a fine tile strip of either 80's pink or Aqua. Very small, but there.

I have included a picture of the master bath. The bath shown was representative of my two guest room baths. The master is a mirrored, pinkish with gray and cream and soft beige marble tile. Walls are painted a pinkish rust. The dark color in the tile. See the pics. The rest of the room is completely mirrored to reflect the ocean views. It looked very Hollywood when we first saw the house, but I understand the mirroring for light and the views of the ocean now. Ceiling is cedar. Light strips in all baths are the Hollywood round bulb strips...needs a change. I am thinking of painting the master bath a warm gray that is in the tile to see if that will minimize the pink tile. What does everyone think?

Libradesigneye, thank you for taking the time to be so specific. You really gave me a plan that will incorporate the rustic and modern look. And while I hate to paint wood, I think the washed gray on the oak might be a good way to bridge the gray into the scheme. Do you think that gray washing the outside wall of the peninsula should match the new grayed flooring or have somewhat of an in between gray? If, match...it will set the gray wash for the rest of the proposed gray areas, correct?

I am also thinking of running the hardwoods in all rooms except where tile is currently. I included a picture of the master as well. All my ceilings are 9 foot or more and the doors are 8 foot.
    The powder is the other pic...very ducky bunny...will probably be a tear out and replace.

Leslie, I am considering your comment about gray and oak. I am trying to key off the fireplace, a giant focal point....which has a lot of the warm oak color with warm grays in the stone and mortar. There is a lot of gray there but it seems to work. Here is a closeup of the fireplace rock and the oak together...what do you think?

I cannot thank you all enough for all the comments. It is really helping me formulate a plan. I do think this can be a beautiful home, I just need a few extra eyes, as I have gotten used to the home and need that first impression input!

Rest of photos in next comment...
    Thank you again,
    Pamela Jo
  • agilborder
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    More photos
  • agilborder
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    More photos,
  • Kristi Traynor
    9 years ago
    You can selectively whitewash some of the oak to bring more light and calm into those spaces. By whitewashing them you keep the wood grain and rustic feel. I agree with the comments on the flooring.
  • sackingj
    9 years ago
    I think a polished copper counter would be spectacular with your tile floor! Then brushed stainless or nickel cabinet hardware. Personally, I would prefer stainless appliances as well, but if you don't like them, stick with your black or choose a complimentary color, or white ( as a last resort).
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Go white with new appliances. New will also be more energy efficient as well. I would go with the new porcelain textured tile that is about 12" X 36" laid in a running bond pattern throughout the house instead of hardwood with in-floor radiant heat. Use a soft greige color. Get rid of all tile counter surfaces & go with an almost white quartz or silestone.

Don't paint the oak. Change all lights with LED also energy efficient. I see also spots on the beams. Remove those. Use the blue color you have around the house for new tile backsplash in kichen. Go porcelain or clear glass subway tile, running bond pattern. Grout with off white. Definitely remove the peninsula & add a nine foot island with a vegie prep sink. Oh, and add a very deep sink to the kitchen if there isn't one already. I like heavy grade stainless sinks for cleaning purposes.

Change all brass fixtures to an oil rubbed bronze or a brushed chrome. Soften up the tile floors with Persian or kilim area rugs to define each sitting area and in the halls & bedrooms. I envy you your path of making this a warm comfortable oceanside home. Have fun.

• apple_pie_order
    9 years ago

It's just beautiful. The oak, brass, saltillo and other tiles are an integrated whole. If you replace appliances, just use black if you like it. No point buying appliances for fictional buyers in the dim distant future. If you want to change something just a bit, try a new brushed brass or champagne brass finish for cabinet door pulls in the kitchen.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I like it as an almost quarter century old example done well and consistently in a certain style. I would probably replace the cabinet hardware and I am not a huge fan of tile countertops for practicality purposes.

This is not the orangey builder oak that tends to deserve a bad reputation, this all looks pretty well done. I might be tempted to paint some of it--the bedrooms where some of it looks a bit massive, but I would get that professionally done, unless you are a very good painter.

Not everything that is old is "dated" in a bad way, and not everything that is dated deserves to be altered just because it's old. This house could certainly be homogenized into something that made it look more "current" but I don't thing it would necessarily make it look better.

• agilborder
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Floors under consideration shown against oak cabinets and tile. What do you think?
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Option 1 looks nice.
  • Carol Singletary
    9 years ago

So hard to tell colors on computer monitor, but on MY screen, I really like the last one that is running perpendicular to your floor.

This is an AMAZING house with views that take the eye from any perceived faults. WIth that said, I hate to cook in and keep clean tile countertops. A smooth surfcae is so much easier (as you know, since you cook).

• libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Upper left - #1 seems closest to the right answer - but maybe lower right. Can you put them next to your fireplace stone and cabinets and take the same photo? I'm guessing you are carrying these floors throughout into the kitchen but if you are not . . .let us know. .

• PRO
    Sunbrella
    9 years ago

Can't wait to see the new sofa!

• sandrajones2k
    8 years ago

The washed grey floor looks very nice.

I am redoing our family room \ kitchen , have oak cabinets with a cedar ceiling. Rock fireplace & lots of windows with distant ocean view,

We are stuck on what colour flooring to choose. Looking at a grey /taupe flooring and painting the cabinets gray.,

Hope someone can help with this,

• sandrajones2k
    8 years ago

Pictures of the room

• sandrajones2k
    8 years ago

More pictures

• sandrajones2k
    8 years ago

We would like to keep the cedar ceiling

• greenfish1234
    8 years ago

sandrajones i suggest starting a new dilemma.

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Sandra we will come and find you - that is a gorgeous ceiling . . think you want to paint cabinets a coordinating mid tone gray to match one element of the stone fireplace and bring in a cherry floor instead .. so the ceiling tones have balance. Cherry and black is luscious . you might cherry finish one elevation of the kitchen . .the peninsula? and paint the rest so it recedes .. . ..

• sandrajones2k
    8 years ago

Do you mean brown cherry that looks like the ceiling tone? Do you think the grey/taupe wood flooring, which matches the tile in the kitchen, is too much?

• sandrajones2k
    8 years ago

We are putting hard wood flooring in the hall way and dining room,

Will the cherry wood work ? Picture of the wood flooring that we were thinking of putting in, we will have to decide soon.

• sandrajones2k
    8 years ago

• mrskain1
    8 years ago
    Agilborder: Stunning home. I would love to live in a house like yours. Keep the oak cabinets. They are obviously high end. I think in the living room I would paint out the oak shelving and doors in a complimentary color to the fireplace - pulled from the stone fireplace - this would blend them and make them less like kitchen cabinets. #1 floor I like.
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sandra, our OP Pamela Jo is busy renovating, but I don't think she will mind the hijack - I do think the wood will be better in the long run than the gray. I like the kitchen flooring but I do think with such a stunning cedar ceiling that you need to have the tones repeated somewhere - the flooring you show above looks like a good tone. What you do with the cabinets will also bear on this .. .but I think you would be sorry in the long run to select the gray.

I usually am all for gray, you have the lovely fireplace stone . but the ceiling needs balance and the floor is the best place for that. Do start your own dilemma so we can follow your progress ..

• sandrajones2k
    8 years ago

We are taking your advice, not having gray wood flooring,not sure what to do re kitchen cabinets, Will oak cabinets look good painted, The cedar ceiling looks more like # I colour in the day light, would cloud white look okay?or would grey, be better,

still concerned,

• Eileen Ritchie
    8 years ago

keep cabinets and countertops.. change the floor to a lighter colour .

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Sandra - for painted kitchen cabinets, oak will look fine if they use the right product - a specific paint made to sort of fill the grain - something by ben moore I've heard the pros use. If it were my kitchen, I would pick a gray tone with a light reflective value in the higher 50's that matched one of the stones in my fireplace rock. That is going to be dark enough not to look like a sad white (can't recommend white at all here) but light enough to actually lighten your kitchen area from the wood. Look at this tone - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/pelicangray

Make sure you stay away from true grays / blue grays / silvery grays that will turn blue against the wood in your home. Greener / earthier undertone grays.

So here is what I would do Go to Ben Moore and pull the pelican gray swatch. Pull every gray paint swatch that is anywhere near to this color and straying darker, greener, bluer, browner gray . . .grab as many swatches as you can. Get several pelicans however so you can keep your touchstone. Go home and put them all against the fireplace and stand back.

Your eye will eliminate the ones that clash with the fireplace tones immediately.

Then look at the rest. Look at them in am light, evening light, daylight - let them sit there for a few days so you get different kinds of weather / times of day that you can just look. Then -

Narrow to two or three. Get sample sizes from HD who will make the bm colors (and it will be pretty close). Paint two coats of each on a foam core board. Carry those boards into the kitchen itself - let them sit near the window, near the fridge, all around the room.

If you have more than one you like, pick the one nearest to blending in to the stone chimney.

Go for it.

To pamela, our OP, hope you are really enjoying your location and summer and will come back when fall arrives and changes start to share where you are at!

• sandrajones2k
    8 years ago

Thank you so very much,

• greenfish1234
    8 years ago
    Sandra, post your own dilemma it will really improve people's ability to understand your problem and respond to it.
  • sandrajones2k
    8 years ago

Thanks

• anna_brunelle
    8 years ago

I am obviously late to the party, and you may have already finished your home....but....I couldn't resist chiming in. I would not put the driftwood toned wood flooring on the floor for a few reasons. First, I think you have a lot of wood already (tons of cabinets and ceiling) and this will only add to that issue. Second, near sand and water, wood is not the best option (tile would be more durable in my opinion as I have a riverfront home so I have experienced this). Third, I really think you should get a decorative painter (or DIY, but you have a lot of wood) to use a Cerused finish on your oak cabinets which would essentially make your cabinets look exactly like the wood floor samples posted above. Google the finish and you will see what I mean. I think you would love it. Then, because the satillo is an orange color, either stay away from grey in the Cerused finish, or change the tile as grey and orange don't mix well. There are even Cerused finishes that use pretty colors instead of wood tones. Good luck.

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago

I LOVE the tile floor in the kitchen. Terra cotta like that will never go out of style. It's classic. I know that brass is "in" again, but I think simply changing the handles on the oak cabinets to a rubbed bronze would really improve the look of this 80/90's kitchen. Dress up all the open shelving you have with interesting items- a set of antique encyclopedia books, old typewriter, beautiful soup tureen, vase, family photo from the 40's, etc. Make your place interesting.