Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_przedwiecki

Help! Need some curb appeal

Joe Przedwiecki
9 years ago

The exterior of the home is awful! I could really use some help making it better on a tight budget. That being said, my budget for exterior renovations is in the ballpark of $10,000.

My initial thoughts on what I'd like to do:

• remove vinyl siding from the front of the home; possibly a part of the right side as well, budget permitting

• in place of the vinyl siding, add cedar shake siding (either natural or painted, not sure)

• possibly add stone (or even faux stone) to the exposed foundation of the home, at least on the front and sides

• remove/refurbish front porch & side deck with stained wood deck with contemporary horizontal spokes. Possibly even utilize horizontal steel cables as spokes instead, or in supplement to.

• somewhere, add a nice house number feature, likely of same design as porch/deck

• I'd love to expand the side deck to wrap around to the back of the house if at all possible. Currently the deck is only on the right side of the house.

• Then of course, paint door/shutters if necessary. Possibly replace door if money allows (probably won't!)

Any help or referrals to construction people who can help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with the house. It's neat and clean and looks to be well maintained. You'd be surprised how far that goes in giving a home curb appeal.

On a more serious note, if you can replace the vinyl siding, you'd be very wise to do so. If your house were to catch on fire, the vinyl siding traps the heat of the fire in the house so the fire burns hotter causing more damage. And because it's a petroleum product, the smoke is much, much more toxic than the already toxic smoke of a house fire so if you're around it, you're going to probably die of smoke inhalation. If the fire should be outside near your house, the vinyl siding will melt within about 3 minutes of being on fire. I probably should mention that my husband is a 30 year career firefighter which is how I know all this.

• handymam
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I agree, this house is very neat looking. My tweak would be to paint the foundation darker to give the house a base and ground it. It looks like it is floating.

A porch that runs the length of the whole house with stairs out the front would help camouflage the look of the slope out front. The downspouts are kind of unsightly too.

Honestly, the house is fine, it is the landscaping that is off. If you don't add a porch, consider changing the steps to come out the front, and then even out the look of the slope by planting taller shrubs on the lower end of the slope,mand shorter ones on the more level end. Don't know what that concrete ring is, but I would remove it and widen the front bed with a curve that swings out more for more interest.

• cathyjoco
    8 years ago

Hi, I would have to agree that your house is very tidy and clean looking. Unfortunately, the things that have been done emphasize the down slope. Perhaps you could remove the straight boards of landscaping and opt for a natural curved line with added rocks? Or cut the wood into small lengths and stand them. They can stand upward and would be staggered at different lengths. ( You would need to purchase more.) Your porch is okay, but have them come back and add the necessary wood to the bottom so that it looks finished. Another option would be to extend the porch and steps closer to the driveway. He can frame new steps and they wouldn't have to be like they are now. If this is done, you should add some plants to the front, because the dark brown wood really draws the eye down. Another thing is that the two doors and entries are confusing. And, lastly, I would beef up the shutters.