Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnfrwhipple

How to properly pressure test an iBox Universal from Hansgrohe

Last week we set up a pressure test for a Hansgrohe iBox. We discovered that at the rough in stage the iBox does not send water down both outlets. It was either just the hot or cold.

I'm not sure why this is or what function it serves but in order to properly pressure test the water lines we (the plumber) set in a jumper pipe from the rain head to the body jets. This allowed all the water lines to be equally pressurized.

Thought I would share the photo as this might help someone else one day who is scratching their head like my plumber did on Friday.

After some effort and some tightening and re tightening of the black hose I got the Woresbo Pipe up to and holding 200 PSI. The pipe slacked off often and after some effort I hit the 200 PSI mark and it help this pressure fine for a period of five plus hours. One hour is required but the plumbing Inspector showed up in the late afternoon and not the morning like we had asked for.

The mark your looking for is the 200 PSI mark.

While the inspector is checking this out he also checked out the waterproofing for the shower floor. They look for slope to drain and the shower's ability to hold water.

This shower flood test ring was placed in the shower the other day and the water line not moved off the marks.

I passed inspections with no troubles. This shower is now on record with the city as checked and passed. BUT it was only sitting for a period of 20 hours when the inspector came by. That is not enough time in my book so we will self inspect the shower for two more days. Bringing the flood test time up to a period of 72 hours.

3 days is the proper time frame. This simple test along with the pressure testing is the only key steps you have with any Hansgrohe iBox Universal Shower Build for success. Skip them and you get what you get. Had the iBox be leaking or defective we would have know right away. Had any of the pipe connections been done wrong we would have know right away.

Normal operating pressure for this shower (seventh floor condo) is about 50 PSI. The test three times the pressure the shower normally sees. In much of the US this test is required - some states do not need it. In all of Canada this is the norm.

if your Handy Man, tile man or plumber are not pressure testing the water line work - they are not doing you any favours. As a rule we only test the new work so to do this we added some isolation shut offs. The first thing the inspector said "Are they accessible?" - I said yes and he asked to show him.

Test those iBox's - they can handle the pressure!