Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orangecamera

Queen Ann table dining table....what chairs?

orangecamera
11 years ago
I just purchased a pre-owned round dining table with Queen Ann legs, and want to pair it with chairs that are "mid century" and have an upholstered seat. I prefer not to have an upholstered back.

The table is the size and shape I want, and very sturdy, but the wood is not in perfect condition. I'm fine with imperfect, but the table needs to be either re-stained, or painted. I'll take care of that once I'm settled in my new home (2 more weeks and counting!) and have had a chance to live with it a little and decide what to do.

I'm looking for inspiration pictures of Queen Ann with "modern", but can't seem to find anything. So I'm asking for opinions about whether this will look okay, and for some pictures to help me figure out what to look for.

Comments (16)

• smldesigns
    11 years ago
    Look at Ballard Designs for ideas. They have several chair styles that would blend.
  • orangecamera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    smldesigns, thank you. Can you please recommend a style or two that you think will blend Queen Ann and modern the best? I'm having trouble figuring this out for myself.
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    How fortunate!
    Did you know that a round Queen Ann table costs $1,600 AT Walmarts???

A variety of chairs would look fine with Queen Ann.

If you wanted upholster backs, I would choose a 2 pack of Parson chairs for $78.
    [that $39 for a sturdy, new, wood frame chair!]

Then cover in your choice of fabric and styles!

[that picture is my style!]
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Or this chair in your choice of finish
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    orangecamera,

Do not use "house paint" on fabric.

It is uncomfortably rough and stiff and can crack.

I have DYI instructions for painting upholstery.
    If you want, I will post.
  • orangecamera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Aja :) I had been looking at Parson's chairs, but wasn't sure if they would look right. But I actually like the 2nd type of chair you posted better. If I could find those, I can reupholster them myself. THREE orange and blue fabric suggestions?! How on earth did you know? LOL.

I will keep my eyes open for chairs like the ones you suggested. I would actually like to mix and match different chairs. I like the idea of the same style, but different backs. I only need 6 chairs, so I think I'll be able to find 3 pair. I'll upholster them all with the same fabric. As a ballpark, I'm thinking I can do 6 chair seats with 3 yards or less, so even an expensive fabric won't be too much of a budget-buster. And if the wood is vastly different between the pairs, I can paint them all to match.

So many ideas running through my head!

Yes, please let me know your fabric paint recipe. You remember I had very good luck with your fantastic chalk paint recipe. I'll use chalk paint on the table and chairs if necessary.

(ps. I didn't pay $1600 for the table! It's round with 2 additional leaves, the *perfect* size for me!)
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Round with 2 additional leaves??

What a find!

Yes, I am actually begin to like colors other than white, cream, ivory, alabaster.....

3 yds should be ample.

And you can make chalk paint in sooooo many colors.
    You might want to consider distressing the set.

The use of pairs of different chairs is fantastic!

I have a set of china that I collected that each place setting is different , but
    related in style and colors.

I love it but I developed OCD in the process!!!

You might want to check out fabrics by Schumaker [a high end manufacturer] and then look for
    a 3 yd remnant on ebay at a fraction of their price.

I did not know you were buying a new house.
    Congratulations!
    Your mind must be racing!
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    I will find the fabric paint tutorial and repost.

[I originally posted it on the thread about the lady in Germany that bought like 16 different accent chairs for her apartment, but had no sofa.]
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    So exciting!!!

I live for estate sales!

Everyone moves to St. Petersburg, Florida to die.
    The area is resplendent with flea markets and "antique malls"

The prices are incredibly low!!
  • mainstreetschool
    11 years ago
    I hope you have hit the eclectic stores on Central Ave in St Petersburg! They have such variety and quality mid-century selections! I wish I had a way to bring stuff home to Ohio! I love all the suggestions Good luck!
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    mainstreetschool,

You bet I have!
  • orangecamera
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The table appears to be solid maple. I'm not a wood expert, so I don't really know the right terms to describe the finish. It looks like it was just stained, not shellac'd or varnished. There must be some sort of protective coating on it, but it doesn't actually look like there is. It's Queen Ann style, but I'm certain not actually from that time period.

I have the legs and leaves at home, but the top is large and heavy, so will be delivered once I've moved in a few weeks. The leaves are 46" long, 9" wide, and about 2" thick.

The table is mostly in good shape, but I think it would benefit from a fresh coat of stain. I want to keep it as close to the original color as possible.

It looks like I could just give it a light sanding, and re-stain it. But...I don't want to mess it up by doing the wrong thing. What's the best way for me to determine what the finish is? Once I know that, I can figure out how to proceed.
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Vintage · More Info
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    If there is no "protective" finish, the wood will accept stain, so test a small spot.
  • smldesigns
    11 years ago
    Hi,
    Sorry I missed your question to me but you have some good input. I also thought you might be interested in the contemporary version of the Queen Anne Chair. I like the different finishes and think you could choose just about any with your table. You could also just use these for the side chairs and have Parsons' chairs at the ends or vice-versa. I'm new to this site and am not sure how to attach pictures so here is the link:
    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/queen-anne-upholstered-chair/?pkey=e|dining%2Broom%2Bchairs|205|best|0|viewall|24||34&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Dining%20Chairs-_-