Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mzalam

Cabinet and Floor Color... Please Help! I'm Going Crazy!

mzalam
9 years ago

We're building a house and I can't seem to decide on my colors for kitchen cabinets and floor. I've selected cherry bordeaux cabinets and oak chocolate hardwood floors. I really like both colors but just not sure if they will look nice together... would it make my kitchen too dark? We will have large windows so plenty of natural light. Also, the countertops are white spring granite and a glass backsplash to lighten up a bit. I keep wondering if I should go with lighter hardwood floors. Hardwood floors will run from foyer to kitchen to dinning to powder room to hallways. I do like the chocolate color and feel it'll give a contemporary look. I just don't know if chocolate will work with cherry, am I thinking too much? The picture with granite and backsplash is the actual colors but then again it looks much lighter in natural light. I'm so confused... any feedback would be appreciated!

Comments (28)

• PRO
    The Well Planned Home
    9 years ago

I love the countertop color and backsplash - very nice selection. I think the flooring and cabinets together may be too dark

mzalam thanked The Well Planned Home
  • mzalam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the feedback! That's my fear too that it might look too cohesive which in this case could be boring. I do like the cabinets so might look into other colors for the hardwood. So nice to get some input because my husband has left it to me to decide, not a bad thing but can be stressful!

• Stephanie P
    9 years ago

Hello, I think what you have chosen is beautiful. I have mahogany hard wood flooring throughout most of my home. If I could go back in time, I would have chosen lighter flooring with slightly darker cabinets. I would have considered how my floors would endure high traffic. Dark floors show everything! Cabinets are easily cleaned and can always be repainted.

mzalam thanked Stephanie P
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would choose a solid white for the counters because your cabinets and floor are the statements.

DUMICAN MOSEY Architects - Fillmore Street - Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

mzalam: You will regret getting dark floors - they always look dirty - even a drop of water leaves a mark. Also, you want your floor to compliment your cabinets, not look like them. I would go with a light to med light floor, perhaps something close to the light grey in your quartz. The grey is a great contemporary neutral that will coordinate with your countertop and backsplash giving you a cohesive look. Cherry and grey look very rich when put together and with that gorgeous granite and rich grey floor your kitchen will be a WOW.

I've attached a flooring sample in a grey tone that would look fabulous in your space. I've also attached a couple of pictures of kitchens with dark and light brown woods which I feel don't do a thing for the beautiful cherry cabinets. My vote is for the light grey!

(Matte finish = less maintenance, don't get a shiny floor).

mzalam thanked Ward Designs
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

Just do not go with dark floors unless you have a housekeeper or maid.

mzalam thanked sandradclark
  • Ann
    9 years ago

I think your instincts are right about the two being too close in color. I'd go with lighter floors, just as Cancork explained.

mzalam thanked Ann
  • Ann
    9 years ago

I do think your counter/cabinet combo is beautiful together.

mzalam thanked Ann
  • mzalam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Those pictures are very helpful Ward Designs, thanks for letting me know so I don't make the same mistake!

• Carolina
    9 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/163477 shows an island and floor in about the same colours as you're considering. If you love the floor, you could consider off white cabinets and a dark island (if you have an island) like in this photo.
    mzalam thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/18718744 If you love the dark cabinets, this could be a good choice for the floor. Not as dark but with hints of the cabinet colour.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

Please stay away from dark floors - I have never regretted a design decision more than installing dark wood floors in my home (and they're satin finish). I even feel bad about recommending them to past clients (before I knew how much work they would be). They are lovely, and if you can live with streaks and spots on a daily basis, then they're for you.

I'm not sure what type of wood floor you're looking for, solid hardwoods or engineered woods, There is a significant difference between the two. What are you planning on installing?

• mzalam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Carolins, I do like the floors in the second picture, not sure if I want to turn my island a different color though.

Ward Designs - We're going with solid hardwood and given that I've got little ones I think I will stay away from really dark color. We currently have light floors and I'm still picking up crumbs and what not every few minutes! I was thinking of Brazilian oak or maybe something lighter... just don't want too red or too yellow...

I like the floors in these pictures.... any thoughts? Is it better to keep the island the same color or change it like the second picture?

• PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

I totally agree to stay away from woods with red or yellow undertones - it won't work well with the cabinets or the granite.

I do prefer the look of islands when they have a different finish. The white would brighten up the room and finding a floor color would be easier because the white island would break up all that wood. Also the white island will tie in very well with the white in your quartz, (which you can't ignore).

If you went with a light grey floor, the island would look good in either white or cherry.

If a grey floor is out of the question, I'd choose a wood with very little undertone. Armstrong carries a line of "white" floors in several types of woods. I've posted the link below so you can play with the different colors by viewing them in a room. http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/products/hardwood/white/_/N-67oZ728

Here is a sample of one of the floors - it's very similar to the one you like (above). I love this look - and it's easy to keep clean.

• Carolina
    9 years ago

Here's another Houzz thread that's currently going, cabinet colour similar to yours (yours is a bit more red/dark?), you may want to take a look at the floor that they are looking at now. Scroll down the thread to see it together with their cabinet colour. It's a lively coloured floor which will also help to hide dirt.

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/which-quartz-countertop-do-you-like-best-dsvw-vd~2919105[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/which-quartz-countertop-do-you-like-best-dsvw-vd~2919105)

mzalam thanked Carolina
  • Heidi Timmons_Owens
    9 years ago
    Great advice already and I concur with lighter, whitish floors. Your cabinet and countertop choices are beautiful. We have cherry floors and cream cabinets and both always look dirty to me!
    mzalam thanked Heidi Timmons_Owens
  • mzalam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful!

Ward Designs - I really like the color in the picture you posted and so does my husband! Thanks so much for your suggestions!!!

• mzalam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We've selected two different colors for floors. Please see the pictures and let me know which looks better (grey or natural maple) and why. Thanks so much!
  • PRO
    The Well Planned Home
    9 years ago

I prefer the grey - one of the left - the natural maple would make the kitchen feel too busy - to me the natural maple does not go well with the dark cabinets.

mzalam thanked The Well Planned Home
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

I also would rethink the granite & go with a marble looking quartz which are carefree. I like the lighter floor.

• gduplessis
    9 years ago

The grey floor is really nice. It ties everything together.

mzalam thanked gduplessis
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago

I like the grey in your choice above better than the others, but my only concern is on my computer it shows up to have a very PINK undertone, bordering on mauve... I don't know if it's just my monitor, but if it isn't you may want to consider something else. The light one is too light. It looks unfinished, especially next to everything else. I think you're headed in the right direction with that one though.

mzalam thanked Shakuff
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

Grey one - it ties in with the countertop, looks rich, however, I would go with a lighter grey. (The darker grey will show everything and drive you nuts in the long run). The natural maple looks dull and unfinished. Also natural maple was a very trendy color back in the eighties and so it looks dated to me.

Does your supplier not carry white wash finishes? or maybe you don't like that look? I still think a white washed grey would look best.

• mzalam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all... the color of the grey looks a bit darker and pinkish in the photo. The second photo is a bit better but still slightly dark. The lighting was playing tricks on me and I had to take pictures in several settings.

White wash finish would be great but that option is not available to us. This is the closest we can find and I think it will work. This has been so stressful but I'm glad we found something that both my husband and I like!

Thanks again to everyone for helpful comments/suggestions!

• Candacw Krenek
    9 years ago

Grey. Love the granite/backsplash and cabinet choices!

mzalam thanked Candacw Krenek
  • PRO
    Shabby2chic Interiors
    8 years ago

Definitely the gray you need the contrast to make your cabinets look elegant, all those dark browns would just muddy the waters, it's close, but then too close in color. I know you love the dark toned hardwood them but as so many folks posted, every mark shows and that you won't be happy with, That is a nightmare you don't want to live with especially after paying out that much money for the flooring you thought would work, you would be annoyed. I really like the complimentary tones of the gray floor with your granite, as it is quite multi-colored and a lightening factor in the area. You have the contrast between the floor, counter and cabinetry - each complimenting the other. I think also that you should keep your back splash a lighter draw the color tone from your granite - that way it is light, bright and inviting. Each of the components is therefore a star in this play - I think you would be pleased with the complimentary combination, light, elegant, easy to care for and one of a kind. I think you would be pleased with the upkeep factor which is a bonus with the gray toned flooring. Good luck with this and send photos so we can see your end result. Try to enjoy the journey.

• nnwwrr
    4 years ago

Yes, can you please post your finished photos?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations