alli2123

Octagon spaced dining room?!

alli2123

The dining room in my new house is a very odd shape and directly faces the kitchen. I'm having a very hard time deciding on how decorate this area. Any ideas? Circular table? Square table? Paint? Turn into formal living room or study? Any suggestions would be great! Thank you!

• lefty47

HI - I think what is making it odd is the pillars . They are kind of cutting it off from the rest of the room. Find out if they can be removed . If so then you could paint or wallpaper the room and have a round table with chairs or if you don't need the dining space , it could be an office or a library lounge or put thin black frame French doors straight across and have a pantry /wine room if that's needed .

• hayleydaniels

I agree with lefty47 that the pillars are the problem, but if you remove them, you're going to have to repair the floor.

If you decide to make it a formal dining room, I'd stick with a round table and rug so it look semetrical.

alli2123 thanked hayleydaniels

Octagonal dining room with oblong table

Of course. But is your octaganal room a round octaganal or a long octoganal?

Desperately need layout help for small space: living room/dining room

First of all, I would suggest you move the door to the study around the corner so that it is opposite the entry door to the bedroom. By enclosing the current doorway, you will create an unbroken corner or L-shape for the living room. Then, you can place your living room furniture with a small love seat or easy chair on the newly made solid wall and put the sofa along the long wall at the bottom edge of the diagram. As for the dining area, I cannot tell what the item is in front of the left window, but perhaps you could move this item and place a rectangular table that has the long side running parallel with the two windows. Another idea is to get a round dining table and place it in the corner at the right of the dining area. For the most part this is a very good floor plan, and I believe changing the door to the study will be a big improvement. It also will allow you to have a full wall of bookshelves along the "new" solid wall in the study.

Ideas for dining room chairs for a formal dining space

I kind of like the obvious solution

Living Room Layout - Long, Octagonal Room

If you houzzers wouldn't mind, we need layout help, if you would: [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-ideas-for-refurnishing-and-layout-of-my-living-room-dsvw-vd~4648664[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-ideas-for-refurnishing-and-layout-of-my-living-room-dsvw-vd~4648664)
  • alli2123

It is the pillars that they are the problem. We almost didn't buy the house because of them. I'm going to see if they can be removed, but I imagine that could be very costly, especially if the floors have to be repaired. ugh this room is going to drive me crazy!

• Kat Cheng
    Here's a photo just for a possible seating idea.

http://houzz.com/photos/11775439
  • Kat Cheng
    If you really hate the pillars and they're load bearing, you could resurface them in a style more to your liking. We made ours stainless steel, which opens ip the space and looks contemporary.
  • Heidi Timmons_Owens
    Can you put a skylight or light tube into the middle of the octagon? It's odd that one pilar has base trim and the other doesn't. The pendant light outside the nook looks to be In a very odd location.

You're right that this space will drive you crazy if you let it. I think it's really important to transform it into a space you adore. Whatever you do, make sure it's a reflection of your authentic self and not what is "supposed" to be there. Go sit on the floor, even lie on the floor in the space pod. Listen to your soul. What would make your heart sing in this little cocoon? Is this a cozy reading nook, a smart office, an intimate tea room, a reserved library, a sunny sitting room?

I have small kids and might put a big, round, spinning, soft chair. I'd cover the walls from floor to ceiling in my kids' art. It would be our little art gallery. But that's a reflection of me!

Who are you?
  • Christine R
    I love Kathryncheng's.inspiration pic. Seating like that would make the best use of the space. The pillows would make it fun
  • Christine R
    Here is another inspiration pic
  • Kat Cheng
    Nice, in a more elegant way, Cb! And I'd want to put soft illumination strings around the perimeters of the domed ceiling trim levels, whatever those are called. That would create soft glowing circles that would emphasize that nice aspect of this room, it would be dramatic, and draw the eye upward. I actually like this room--I think it has the potential to be extremely beautiful!
  • Kat Cheng
    And go for a whimsical (or elegant, whatever one is your style) chandelier.
  • miacometlady
    The moment I saw this space my memory jumped to this Sarah Richardson design. She only wallpapered the one wall that like yours opened to kitchen. I think you could build on anything in this DR such as the furniture, the tufted bench, colors and it would be over the top beautiful. Of course what wallpaper you pick and that compliments your style will drive the room.
    alli2123 thanked miacometlady
  • Sarah Felton

I think my favorite design advice for a limited budget is, when something is weird or off, make it look like it was on purpose. In other words, embrace the weird shape and location! Paper the walls with a bold/whimsical/elegant wallpaper that will make it seem like a little jewel box. If you don't have a breakfast nook, installing built in seating would work great. If you want a true dining room with a stand-alone table, add some romantic lighting with a special chandelier or wall scones or tabletop candles. I think all the above photos are great inspiration.

alli2123 thanked Sarah Felton
  • willy4
    Can't you us it for a kitchen table, I would go round. I love the space
    alli2123 thanked willy4
    GONZALO DE SALAS
    Hi Alli,

The octogonal shaped dining room you have is quite unsual but it seems to have a strong relevance in the distribution of the living room. The columns migth be disturbing but they add personality and originality to the area. I think your dining room has a good potential to do something nice and elegant.

As high end furniture designer I can help out regading the dining table. Watching the space I recommend you a circular dining table with glass top. It will give a less saturated sensation, something important once you have all chairs around. The glass top will allow to choose a more original and intesting table foot, that will keep up with importance that dining room has.

I am specialized in custom-made modern dining tables, most of them with glass tops. I am also sculptor so most of my pieces have an artistic approach that gives them a quite original and elegant look. Avove the table I would look for a good proportioned chandelier.

Following I post a few examples but If you might be interested I invite you to visit my site at:

www.gonzalodesalas.com/en

I can send you full catalogs in PDF as well.

The style of modern tables I am proposing are usually made in lacquered iron, the color is free to choose so there are some interesting options. I would make a contrast between the table foot and the floor. If you like a full modern style I would do a champagne grey color, or stainless steel...

I ship any place in the US if you may be interested.

You may also contact me at:

gds@gonzalodesalas.com
    alli2123 thanked GONZALO DE SALAS
  • Kat Cheng
    Also, you could paint the recessed sections of the ceiling trim a contrasting color that goes with your color scheme. And/or do recessed lights.
    alli2123 thanked Kat Cheng
  • alli2123

Thank you all for recommendations! I love the idea of a breakfast nook area but we also have a breakfast area off of the kitchen. But I like the idea of a sitting area/ bench. I appreciate all the design ideas!

• lefty47

HI -- Lots of great ideas ! Well if you find out the pillars have to stay ... then at least re- move the baseboard from the bottom and just have a small trim added or paint the base boards the same as the walls . This might help them look less bothersome .

• shellybean57
    I think it would be great if this area was used as a dining room and you used a round table surrounded by chairs in a nice fabric.
  • Geneviève

Love that room:)

Here is what I would do

Hollywood Residence · More Info

alli2123 thanked Geneviève
  • Kat Cheng
    Alli, now that I read your last comment, I need to get some more info (and I probably should have asked about your overall
    Layout at the outset).

Do you already have a dining room, in addition to the existing breakfast room?

If so, you certainly don't want to have TWO dining rooms, lol.

Bottom line: We need as much information as possible about your existing layout to give you helpful feedback.
  • alli2123

Kathryn, no just the dining room pictured above and a breakfast area to the left of the kitchen. I've attached another picture to help with understanding the layout better

• Kat Cheng
    Alli, nice photo, thanks! In terms of layout, I see from the photo that you have an "overhang" granite (type) kitchen island, in addition to the octagonal dining area that is under discussion. Is the overhang area the one you are describing as a "breakfast area"? If so, here's my thought: I would forget the "overhang" kitchen island-whatever it's called, as a dining area. Park a couple of leather- covered bar stools there for people who just want to alight there briefly for whatever purpose. Then, Use the octagonal room area as the true family eating area.

Like you, In my own kitchen, I have a (French limestone) island with barstools, but there is also a separate, informal kitchen dining nook. (We also have a more formal dining room).

Forgive me if I have completely missed something important about your communications about your layout. I am bit of a Luddite when it comes to understanding visuals online. Any misinterpretations are, alas, mine.

Cheers,

Kathryn
    alli2123 thanked Kat Cheng
  • studio10001

I'm going to suggest something a bit more involved, as I think closing this area off solves all problems re. shape, columns and the informal redundancy. Three entrance points is two too many, and enclosing the room will allow you to treat it as an intimate dining space, as opposed to the breakfast room. The larger opening that looks directly into the kitchen will prove particularly bothersome when entertaining, but drywalling can provide a spot for focal artwork, and the side that angles toward the hallway might prove an asset if filled with a glass built-in, by adding light, sparkle, and interest on approach from both sides. Enclosing also allows you greater ability to layer without concern for balance against the rest of the open layout,making it easier to create a jewelbox like the photo Genevieve has shown.

alli2123 thanked studio10001
  • studio10001

As an alternative to drywall, folding doors would provide privacy or access as desired.

Impressive Entry way · More Info

Deluxe in Alexandria · More Info

alli2123 thanked studio10001
  • studio10001

These are a few examples of glass being used to define and add texture. These rooms are open in terms of light flow, yet the partitioning gives them a combination of strength and intimacy that open columns would not provide.

Arts & Crafts Residence - Dining Room · More Info

Classicism With a Twist · More Info

Santa Maria · More Info

alli2123 thanked studio10001
  • alli2123

Kathryn- there is actually an additional dining area to the left of the kitchen! So there is over hang, dining area (not pictured) to the left of the kitchen and this "formal" dining area. It's alot all in one area which addes to the difficultly of all this.

I do like the idea of adding doors to close it off a bit. My husband has suggested putting a pool table in there haha. I just don't want this room to end being a waste of space. We have played around with making it a living room/ studio but I just want it to flow being so open to the kitchen

• sandradclark

I would use it for dining. Use a round glass topped table with a pedestal and fit as many chairs around as will fit. In the niche I would buy a wall vase & put some silk forsythia branches or curly willow branches in it. It is hard to dress a niche, however if you have a tall sculptural piece that would fit that would be ideal.

I think others on this thread are confused because the countertop of the bar was in the photo obscuring the casing around the left pillar. And definitely, do not consider taking the pillars out unless you really hate them and have excess money. I think you could get really creative with the niche, the pillars and the tray ceiling as well as the shape.

I'm going to make a wild suggestion to use different colors on the tray ceiling, faux paint the pillars to look marble, Hang a trellis at the tray ceiling height, drape some grapes here & there & hang a wall mural of Italy around the walls. Go to Great Big Canvas to look for murals. It might be costly, but oh, what fun it could be. You could even add some twinkling little lights within the trellis ceiling.

DC's Staircases, Custom Railings & Stainless Steel | 4x Best of Houzz!