Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashberina

Crappy Cabinet Painting Job - What to do?

ashberina
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

My husband and I are finishing off our kitchen prior to selling. We'd been working with a carpenter belonging to a GC, who had done a fantastic job installing our high-end salvage cabinets. When it came time to paint the cabinets, we didn't want to risk messing them up with a DIY job (although I'm actually an experienced painter) so we asked if the GC had painters who could paint kitchen cabinets -- turns out, the carpentry team does that as well. His estimate was higher ($2700), but we thought they'd probably throw in some patching of nail holes and such.

The results are disappointing. They not only didn't do much patching, but the texture is bumpy and unprofessional throughout (to touch and to see), has small bits of hair stuck to it in a few areas, and odd brush marks here and there since they used rollers and brushes. It looks like a diy project, and it took all three carpenters some 4 days of constant work to get it done. Additionally, they didn't paint our island since it wasn't spelled out in the contract. They were trying to get us to pay them an egregious amount to paint the walls (which we declined) and apparently the island "would have been included in the wall fee." (again, not spelled out in either contract, but clearly a cash-grab in my book).

So, my question is, could anyone tell me what my options are? We're going to confront the GC about the poor workmanship on the cabinets, but I'm worried because we're putting our house on the market in less than a month, and seeing how long it took them to do this poor paint job, I'm actually assuming they've never painted cabinets before. To make it look good, I literally would want them to dismantle, sand down and repaint everything, which means they would have to start from scratch, taking at least 4 days with all of them working, and who knows what the results would be.

We haven't paid them yet for this paint job (we have a balance for all the things they've done and just hadn't paid for that particular item yet) - do we have the option to take the money we would have paid them and pay a different company to fix it? I'm just worried that having them come out again to try and fix it, when they obviously don't know how to paint cabinets, would be an exercise in futility. And if they do it again, and it looks terrible, we'll still have to have someone fix it, and by that time the prime house-buying season might be over. (Sorry, just realized the full bumpiness of the paint is hard to see with this resolution.)

Comments (2)

• Michelle W
    9 years ago

We had some issues with our cabinet painting experience, also, that were resolved. We had the same concerns you have as to whether it was an exercise in futility to bring out the same painters. In the end, we did it and they made it right. However, we had an issue with uneven paint load and "waves" all over the cabinets. When they hung the cabinets, it was evening and not apparent. I think they thought I was being nit-picky or crazy when I contacted them after seeing the cabinets in the light of day. They agreed to come back out and couldn't believe how bad it looked. They resprayed at no cost to us and it worked. I was well aware, though, that it might not and I'd have to eat the whole cost.

However, in your shoes I would almost certainly have someone else come out and see what they can do given your time crunch. It can obviously be pretty tricky when you're dealing with layers of paint, and I'd want to give myself the best chance for success by getting some professional cabinet painters to come out and see what can be done. Best of luck to you.

ashberina thanked Michelle W
  • malhotte
    9 years ago

Just my two cents, but rollers are ok for walls, but never woodwork. The texture just looks wrong, especially on old or antique woodwork. If you end up fixing the paint job yourselves, stick to some high quality brushes. These so called one-coat rollers lay paint too thickly, and their texture leaves the surface so bumpy. I paint my walls with a brush as well, (but if I had a much larger square footage I would be rolling; I'm picky, not insane, lol). Hope you achieve results you are happy with---Mal

ashberina thanked malhotte