Houzz Logo Print
yamibravante

What paint color above cabinet?

Yami Bravante
9 years ago

Comments (28)

• Darzy
    9 years ago

It would be awesome to take the tile all the way up that wall. Or, color match the tile above the cabinets.

Yami Bravante thanked Darzy
  • Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Darzy, the wall slopes from 8' to 12' where the pantry to the left is. That wall to the living room - which would mean - I color match (eg dove grey) the entire wall.

• Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• Darzy
    9 years ago

I mean to color match the beautiful tile color on the slope wall. It's reflective tile, so maybe even a reflective paint on the slope?

• km kane
    9 years ago
    A lighter color than the tile. Current color (at least on my screen) is pretty close.

Absolutely no need to take tile to ceiling. Nightmare to cut it at an angle!
    Yami Bravante thanked km kane
  • Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the helpful comments! I'll use waterscape scape. Will post picture update when done :-)

• Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wonder what is Benjamin Moore's color counterpart for waterscape...

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

between 2 shades i'd say err on the side of greyer, as this photo is reading a bit green on my monitor.

Yami Bravante thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did use dove grey grout for this.

• Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Nnigrt and Adalisa! What do you think of BJ's ocean air or iced slate? it's grey with blue tone?

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

ocean air looks closer, but i dont have a SW fan deck to compare it with.

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 years ago

Ocean Air is baby blue - like when is the due date? I’m going to guess that isn’t the look you’re going for. Iced slate is a lot more blue where as the tile undertones are teal/turquoise. Can you post another pic or 2, maybe in a different light? Tell us what you want the space to feel like, what is it's open to (fam rm, DR), what look you want to achieve? For now here are a handful of snaps I took on the BM Color Viewer - the paint names are at the top L of each picture:

• Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I want it to feel warm, relaxing and fun. On the left side of the pantry will be a black baby grand piano facing huge window. Below are the pics for the rest of the room...

• Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have the pic of the window next to the recessed wall with 3 small windows. But it is 8'x10'. Above is the close up shot of the glass mosaic. The color samples below it are BMs: L-R gossamer blue, ocean air, iced slate, Seattle gray.

You are right, I don't like baby blue. Gray wisp and Palladian blue (similar to waterscape) are very nice looking. I'm leaning towards gray blue ( this reminds me of the ocean glimmering in sunlight but not hard on eyes.

I'm thinking of using Kendall Gray in the opposite wall for the dining area ( where the patio door is). Is that fine with any of these color choices? Lastly, what would the door color be? Off hand- I'm thinking charcoal or shall I stick with white ( white dove) to emphasize the dark gray?

• atka05
    9 years ago
    Benjamin Moore-light pewter
    Yami Bravante thanked atka05
  • PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 years ago

Take a look at Yarmouth Blue. After seeing the additional pictures of the space and all the great light you’ll get, I also see all of the different planes that are each going to reflect the color differently. Grey blues are tough to get right generally. I would suggest getting the small paint sample jars from BM and doing test areas on all walls - which I think should all be the same color. What color will the floors be when they’re done? Do you have any pictures of furniture that will go in the space? I usually recommend picking paint colors as part of a whole palette of materials in new construction, or last in home renovation projects.

Yami Bravante thanked adalisa frazzini
  • Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Acacia walnut for the floor.

I'm looking for this style - in dark colors. (I have a 5 year old) Our current is an old chesterfield with floral design :-) Dining table is this oval oak that I'm thinking of staining to darker color. And change the chairs maybe.

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 years ago

I think with the dark cabinets and furniture the lighter blue/grey shades will work well to provide contrast.

Yami Bravante thanked adalisa frazzini
  • Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Houzzers! I appreciate all of your helpful advice!!! I have streamlined my options because of your feedback.

Adalisa, I am exactly looking for contrast (balance of warm wood tone and cool paint) instead of warm on warm. I'll check Yarmouth Blue big sample and post it!

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 years ago

Can’t wait to see it!

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    8 years ago

yamibravante Do you have any updates to show? :)

• Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hey, sorry for not posting any updates. Painting got delayed. So here we go - gray wisp from BM.

I need a better lighting. So I'll post an updated version soon!
  • Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have the 4:30 pm sun angle with this picture.
  • jvenverloh
    8 years ago
    Light pink, or yellow?
  • Yami Bravante
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Purple Winterland