Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
genacrane

Exterior solutions for an addition to a yellow brick bungalow.

genacrane
9 years ago
We are adding a second story to our yellow brick bungalow and are unsure of what materials and what color scheme to use for the addition. We don't love the yellow brick and couldn't match it even if we wanted to. Possible solutions include painting brick but we would like to do a brick second story so...
Thoughts?

Comments (23)

• User
    9 years ago

What material does your architect suggest?

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago

May we see the exterior drawings?

• miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Really need to see your design. Don't paint brick. Those accents are phenomenal. The only thing that came to me is that I would gravitate toward the whimsical. So the addition could have clapboard and fish scales. Maybe so over the top I am going to get slammed from my fellow Houzz! Smile. Anyway, post designs please.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Will it be something like this? If so, I see the clapboard over the brick and keeping the body one color...whatever you choose.

Victorian Exterior · More Info

• genacrane
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here are pictures of our existing home (that first pic was taken from the internet because I'm lazy :) and our proposed renovations.
    Thoughts? Thanks!

• genacrane
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh, and Sophie, our architect suggests Hardy Board. Which is still on the table (although would like to use brick for energy efficiency and overall aesthetic purposes) but even if we did go with Hardy Board, I'm having difficulty picking a color to complement the yellow brick.
  • miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Are you kidding me. You posted a question with a house from the internet because you were too lazy to get a picture of your own home. I'm flabbergasted.
  • genacrane
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh, haha. Yes, Miacometlady, I'm terrible. Would anybody else be so kind as to weigh in with any helpful thoughts? Much appreciated!
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

You could use hardboard or a brick veneer in a similar color..

• mick50
    9 years ago

Vernacrane, it is ridiculous to post a random picture off the internet because you're too lazy to take a picture of your own house. While that house is similar, it's not exactly like yours, which will affect the advice. I was about to say that yellow brick is horrendous, paint over it, but your actual yellow is not that intense, so don't paint the brick. Just delete this thread and start over with your own house and drawings.

• genacrane
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Point taken and thank you so much for your time and advice.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago

Go with the recommendation of your architect. This is all part of the design process and has been a part of the design process. Is the brick staying on the first floor, or is the recommendation to cover it? The design no longer has a bungalow look, so if the recommendation is to cover the brick, then do it. Since you can not replicate the existing brick, don't try.

• kierlakin
    9 years ago
    That is a beautiful yellow brick house. Please don't paint the brick. It is totally irreversible. Many homes have historically had two siding materials. It's just a matter of working the details so they look like it was meant to be. I doubt you could ever replicate that particular brick and bricklayers nowadays don't have the skills they used to. Horizontal lap siding might work well. It will be important to get the exact scale right. Consult with your architect! Good luck.
  • linlac
    9 years ago
    Definitely not white. I have the same brick which I can't stand. I added new windows and trim in white and the contrast just added to the dingy color of the brick. I did all new trim in a cream color closer to the brick and it made a huge difference. I like JudyG's suggestion, all one color. With that big of a renovation if you don't like the brick change it now. Make sure to take your time and be sure you love all your choices.
  • genacrane
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all for your extremely helpful and thoughtful advice.
  • brickln
    9 years ago

I agree with not painting the brick and following an architects advice, but you're right to question these plans. It seems a lot of charm is being lost. Check this link:

http://www.dazzlingplaces.com/Images/Seattle/Capitol%20Hill/Home2.jpg

Not necessarily suggesting the colors, but it at least shows a two story with more original character can be had. I think if you search images on Seattle homes you'll find some inspiration.

• genacrane
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So helpful- thank you. Leaning away from painting the brick for the many reasons listed above and currently doing searches on yellow and grey exterior color schemes...found these pics online
  • handymam
    9 years ago

OP, you do know your address is on your house plans? You might want to delete those.

• greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    I would keep the brick where you can, and have the hardie painted, as well as your trim. Then you could customize the colors. Nothing screams new construction like those handful of hardie colors with the ultra-white pvc trim. I agree that cream trim would be nicer for your place. Also, get the flat hardie, not the one with the awful fake wood grain
  • brickln
    9 years ago

And Graham Gund's Lexington house:

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/toh/i/houseproj_images/lexington_toutlarge.jpg

Interesting bump outs, windows, roof lines, stucco.

Flared skirting, shingles:

http://www.thecraftsmanbungalow.com/craftsmanship-in-the-blood/

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 years ago

gena, I am a Chicago native and recognized the bungalow as local immediately - and I actually also grew up in one! I have seen amazing things done with brick staining, so check with your architect regarding options. You honestly won’t believe the colors the brick can be changed to. Clearly, I’m in favor of keeping the brick….

• genacrane
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Almost everyone is in favor of keeping the brick- I'm grateful for the help and have been convinced not to paint. I didn't know there was such a thing as brick staining- will check it out. Thank you!