Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brendamarie123

I would like some advice on updating my oak kitchen

brendamarie123
9 years ago

I would like to keep the same flooring and cabinets if possible. I would like to replace the countertop ( any ideas on what to use). I would like to put a microwave/fan above the stove and then extend the new countertop into the old microwave area (taking the wood partition out.) Would this mean recessing the above cupboard to the same depth as the ones beside the old microwave area? Would adding the microwave above the stove mean raising the cabinet above it to a certain height?

I was thinking of using brown tones for the countertop, tile backsplash and adding a matching darker stained crown moulding on the top to pull it all together. I would change the cabinet hardware as well. I would like feedback on this as well as some ideas for better lighting. Thanks

Comments (28)

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Remove everything from above the cabinets. I'm not sure of the clearance needed between the range top & the bottom of a venting microwave. You will at least need to add a soffit area above the cabinet to box in the vent for the microwave vent. Is that wall next to the outside or would you be able to vent it straight through the attic area & through the roof properly?

I got a self-venting microwave to put above the gas range with the plan to vent it out to the roof & did not do it. The self venting does not take care of the exhaust completely. So you may want to consider that.

brendamarie123 thanked sandradclark
  • PRO
    Washington Marble Works
    9 years ago

is the area where your microwave is now, at a level height to connect the countertop? Maybe the picture just makes it look like it wont line up well. If you are at all able, I would consider painting the cabinets as well as updating hardware. It is a lot of wood and makes the space look very heavy. I would definitely go with a LIGHTER countertop, probably a granite. I think something with some taupe and brown would look nice! I would remove the upper cabinet where the microwave currently is, as well as the floor to ceiling one next to the range.

brendamarie123 thanked Washington Marble Works
  • brendamarie123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your ideas. The counter top will line up if I extend it's length. I just don't know if the above cupboard will look odd sticking out or need more support if I remove the wooden support under it. I need all the space I have for storage so I don't think I want to remove anything or have to deal with flooring issues. Having a light countertop prob is a great idea. The oven is on an outside wall but I don't think the current fan vents outside. Thanks

• brendamarie123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I choose a light counter top, does that mean the backsplash tiles should be light also?

• PRO
    Washington Marble Works
    9 years ago

If you are leaving the cabinets the dark color, I would do the backsplash light as well. unless you are going to do under cabinet lighting, you could probably choose a darker backsplash. If you aren't going to remove that upper cabinet, you should have it set back so it is flush with the rest of the cabinetry.

brendamarie123 thanked Washington Marble Works
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

o

If you go with brown counter and (probably) back splash you will have brown, on brown, on brown...with some brown. You will quickly discover the "brown blahs" that come with this type of kitchen set up (plenty of people are renoing their brown on brown on brown kitchens...eventhough they are only 5 years old).

The counter tops can be a different colour and not be "white" or brown. Light/mid tone green slate is a great combination with mid tone brown cabinets. Back splash would probably take a bit of work but it could be done. Blue or gray slate are also nice combinations.

The cabinets are well made but the style and color/tone of the wood are old-fashioned or not "in-fashion" right now. A darker stain looks very handsome as well as white/gray paint on this style (this style when painted is VERY handsome...keeps it fresh and homey at the same time).

I know that isn't what you are planning on doing. I know you want to change counters and back splash and change a little bit about the microwave. It can be done with just two changes...but most people discover they will continue with the renovation because one (or more) of their choices do not work with the "things that were left behind". And then the change one more thing...and then another and another.

I would get together a "story board" about colours and looks and FINAL stage appearance that you want to work towards. Once you have all 6 elements chosen (cabinets, counter tops, backsplash, flooring, lighting and paint) you can go ahead and start with a "one by one" form of renovation. This will save you money and stress in the long run.

Personally a green or blue slate counter top would look lovely and a travertine-look or limestone-look tile as backsplash would look lovely with what you are leaving in place. Brown will get boring very quickly.

brendamarie123 thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • jhmarie
    9 years ago

Make sure you are comfortable with your microwave being that high. My mother rarely uses hers and has another microwave on a lower area. I also am not tall and am planing on changing out my microwave cabinet, which is not over my stove but just as high, and putting it someplace lower.

My mother's cabinets which are similar in style look well with light blue. The picture below is a bathroom but it does give a sense of how light blue can complement oak cabinets.

• brendamarie123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your comments. I will stay away from brown thanks to your advice. I will think about painting the cupboards a cream colour which may well be worth the work. I really would like to replace them but they are solid oak and built very well and that would be a big expense I am sure. Thank you for the advice about the microwave too.

• User
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't paint the cabinets...really I wouldn't.
    Instead, I might put in a white countertop, maybe a pretty marble, if it is a smaller kitchen. White backsplash, although you might play with adding some color and pattern with another type of tile as well as white.
    I would do what I could to accentuate the good points of those cabinets while bringing in lightness and color.
    brendamarie123 thanked User
  • Ramona
    9 years ago

paint the cabinets for sure. cream would really work.

brendamarie123 thanked Ramona
  • davonci
    9 years ago
    Also, get under cabinet lighting LED, if leaving cabinets same color, brownish tones would work along with new knobs.
    brendamarie123 thanked davonci
  • PRO
    Taffi Laing
    9 years ago

whats your budget? how much do you want to spend and how much different do you want this project to ultimately look like.

consider that

I think that I would first look at some magazines and photos to decide what I love as a change.. so now you have something to consider... then check out how much to make it look something like the photos you like. I would definitely contrast the back splash and paint something else or tile it but it depends on how far you want to go.... the kitchen is very safe right now.. to get a new feeling you have to do new things.. the lease expensive way to do the counter top is to use a peel on counter top ... looks great and needs someone with the ability to do it right.. I would get rid of everything on the top of the cabinets

if you like the look you have shown then you need very little help.. but if you want to go further.. it doesn't have to cost more it just is designed differently. I have taken many ordinary kitchens and made then extraordinary.. but honestly go through design mags and choose what you like first.. good luck

brendamarie123 thanked Taffi Laing
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago

A cream coloured kitchen will REALLY look happy and strong in this space. This style of cabinetry is very handsome with paint...I wouldn't fear that at all. If you can, I would get the cabs painted before I tackled the counter tops. A stone can get damaged if you have to have it removed to do any of the painting/changes. And the paint you choose may not work with counter top you thought "looked good" with the current cabinet colour.

Choose the two together (counter tops and cabinet paint) and then go ahead and get to work on the one you want to start with...knowing that you will change out the something else soon enough.

A strong "brown" granite/stone/counter top with cream coloured cabinets is a very nice look...I'm just not a fan of brown counters on brown cabinets. If you paint then go ahead with the countertops you had in mind.

brendamarie123 thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • brendamarie123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your advice. We have lived in this home for 23 years and am not sure that we will be here much longer. If I knew we were, there would be things like pot drawers and spaces to recycle that I would definitely consider. Right now I am thinking of what would improve the appearance and function as well as make my kitchen more appealing. I don't know what it will cost to update so I haven't really got a firm budget. The picture of the dark cabinets is absolutely beautiful! Did you have to strip the old stain off first? I really love kitchens that I have seen that have dark or cream coloured cabinets. You are all giving great things to consider and I appreciate it.

• snowden_1234
    9 years ago
    Hi Brenda - my wife and seem to have the same cabinets as you do and we are in the middle of a renovation. I have attached a picture if you would like to see.

The paint is white heron by Sherman Williams.
    brendamarie123 thanked snowden_1234
  • jhmarie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You can darken your cabinets with gel stain or Miniwax polyshades without stripping though there is some prep work involved. I have not done either process. You can find directions on the Internet.

If you are considering ideas because you might be moving, here are some thoughts. Painting will not update your cabinets - the door style is not a currant one and paint will not help that. Someday, it will be vintage and people will think it's cool, but not right now. I also would not do granite counters. A new homeowner will not like the kitchen or feel it is updated just because it has granite counters - and chances are they won't like your choice of granite and / or decide to get new cabinets and out will go the granite since it often breaks if moved. A big expense for you that could end up in a dumpster. Start by lightening the walls and curtains. Paint over the pretty stenciling - I painted over mine this year:( Remove any wallpaper. If you decide not to sell, go for what you want. No minor updating will bring you more money for the house. Price it accordingly.

Snowden's kitchen reno looks lovely, but it would be a lot of work, and who knows what a buyer will think. If the paint job is not done very well, it could actually discourage buyers.

brendamarie123 thanked jhmarie
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    9 years ago
    If it were me. I would not paint these cabinets. I would restain them to an espresso. But with them as they are or restrained, I would invest in some new granite countertops in white with medium marbling, gray marbling for espresso, marbling with grays and Browns for keeping the cabinets as they are. The cranberry, should go away.
    brendamarie123 thanked Darla Scheuerman
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    9 years ago
    Also, the cabinets as they are, are not horrible, the look to be in very good condition. Do take down the greenery above the cabinets, it dates the kitchen worse than anything else in the picture.
    brendamarie123 thanked Darla Scheuerman
  • Cor
    9 years ago
    You have oak cabinets and oak cabinets they are. Please don't try to disguise them with paint. Work with what you have. Who knows, oak may be the next 'it' kitchen cabinet wood of choice! All joking aside, keep the oak cabinets. I'd declutter, lighten up the walls with a fresh coat of paint, and add some brighter lighting. Any room that is bright and clean is appealing to everyone.
    brendamarie123 thanked Cor
  • PRO
    Taffi Laing
    9 years ago

Generally to update the kitchen.. I would work with neutrals. Taupes and greys

change the handles on the cabinets.. or paint them so they look rough if you want to change the feeling.. certainly you could paint them solid. But the first thing to do is strip it down, take away all the extras in that room and start bringing the color together.

a light kitchen is a pleasure to come into...bright and light...

also makes the space look larger. You feel different in a light kitchen. Look at other re done kitchens for ideas

brendamarie123 thanked Taffi Laing
  • redcandy247
    9 years ago
    You might consider checking out Rustoleum cabinet transformation kits. They come in many different colors and you don't have to sand the wood. We just finished a low budget update to our circa 2000 kitchen. It took us about a week to transform our cabinets. We also had our tile guy install a tumbled stone backsplash where there was just bare wall, and we had him tile right over the old almond Formica. We used porcelain tile that looks like brown stone, but some are using marble and granite. Check Pinterest. We wanted to avoid the mess and hassle of ripping out the old counters. We got a nice updated look and it was exactly what we wanted. The white appliances were replaced with stainless.
  • redcandy247
    9 years ago
    Sorry the rest of the pix didn't attach:
    brendamarie123 thanked redcandy247
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

brenda, I would paint the cabinets in a soft warm white such as BM mascarpone, paint the walls in the same color but a different sheen and get a countertop in dark brown with a backsplash in a light color similar to the cabinets. Also a carpenter can update your cabinet by the refrigerator so you can put in a drawer microwave, which is much kinder to the back.

brendamarie123 thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • brendamarie123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am nervous to try anything like that on my cupboards because I would probably be doing it myself. I am not close to a city where theses services are easily available. I will be able to hire a carpenter to help me adjust the cabinet depths, tiling and countertop. I am thinking new light counter tops, tiled back splash and some minor cabinet revisions in the microwave area. I will also buy new hardware . I am interested in knowing how a person can paint the old handles but I think I am ready for some new ones anyway. Thanks for the microwave advice, I will keep it at counter level. I have removed the ivy and most of the treasures above the cupboards. The cupboards used to go to the ceiling on an angle which I removed many years ago. It seemed like I needed the ivy to fill the space on a little.

I will be shopping for a counter top and tile next and then figuring out what colour of paint will compliment everything. I will also be looking for lighting. I like the idea of under the counter lighting but will also need to buy something to replace what I have on the ceiling which Is also the same as the light over the connected eating area at present. Any thoughts on the led lighting or what style to look for? I need lots of light

Thanks

• nicolenovember288
    8 years ago

If I were you I'd look into cabinet re-dooring. That's a much cheaper alternative to a full on refacing or completely new cabinetry. Basically with re-dooring you get completely new cabinet doors/ drawer fronts and hardware, leaving your existing cabinet boxes in place. Your door style is heavily dated, even paint won't fully disguise the age. I wouldn't paint your existing hardware either, the shape is so complicated, I'd go for something updated with a much simpler profile (you should be able to find new hardware for as little as $2- $3 apiece online or in a home improvement store). HD laminate countertops would be a budget friendly alternative to stone.

Ideally you should have close to 18" between the bottom of the microwave and the top of the range. I personally wouldn't put a countertop in that current microwave area, the top portion of that cabinet will be so deep you'll have an awkward hard to reach area on the newly found counter space. I'd put two new cabinet doors extending from the top of that area to where the drawer start below (once again, this would have to be done if you were installing new cabinet doors). That way you'd just have a pantry cabinet there, and ultimately it would look more purposeful and less like a DIY project that should have had a better outcome.

As others have said I'd definitely remove the vines and other items from on top of the cabinets, the less clutter the better.

• felizlady
    8 years ago
    If the cabinets are in good condition, painting them a color you like will allow you to keep them. If DIYing, be sure to properly clean all the doors and exposed sides. A professional would remove all the doors and drawers and spray them in a plastic room for a nice smooth finish.
    Replace all the knobs and pulls.
    A microwave/fan is ONLY useful if the fan is vented to the outside through the wall or roof. Otherwise you will just be spewing smells and heat right back into the kitchen. Installation instructions will tell you how far above the stove to install it.
  • jhmarie
    8 years ago

This post is a year old, but if the OP has made changes, we always like to see what people have done to improve their space:)