Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robertz120

Vacant Land - Who do you hire for a site plan?

Robert Zamora
9 years ago

Hello - I've recently purchased a nice 20 acre parcel in Southern Arizona. The lot is vacant except for a capped well so it's ripe for me to layout pretty much anything I like. My question is. What type of professional do you hire to develop and design a site plan to help layout where your home should be located, septic systems, well systems and electricity? Landscape Architect, an Engineer? I have zero clue. Any advice is appreciated and anyone with experience in Southern Arizona is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (25)

• Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    an architect
  • Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    as for water well, you should contact a well drilling service. as crazy as it may sound, they may use a water witch.

if you do not want to pipe the water too far, the well may dictate the location of the house and the architect can help design a house that will utilize the location.

I would make sure that you have a viable water well before you move forward on building a house. I guess that you will rely on a well for your water source and have no other water source.
  • Robert Zamora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Yes, a capped well is already in place. Due the rural nature of the area, architects are hard to find. I was hoping perhaps a surveyor or landscape architect or someone along those lines could at least help me get the basics down. i.e. If I can get the land mapped out, even in a basic form, I already have a general gist of where I want horse stalls to go, eventually tree orchards etc. Until I have the 'infrastructure' layout with the topography is where I'm stuck at the moment. Maybe then I can have the Architect simply focus on the home when the time comes? I have access to a Topography site I'm just not skilled at giant land puzzles. :)

• awdallas
    9 years ago

An architect is trained to design a built environment on a piece of property. He or she will understand the climate, the environment and be able to turn your building ideas into a site plan. But perhaps you want a civil engineer--they are about drainage and soil bearing capacity, so they can prepare a site plan, too, but with a different emphasis.

• Robert Zamora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. As stated previously, the rural nature and location doesn't lend itself to an abundance of architects. Perhaps a civil-engineer might work.

• Architectrunnerguy
    9 years ago

The time will come when you might need to get an architect on board anyway. It's a poor designer who stops designing at the exterior walls. Get one who's thinking of the house and lot as one.

• Robert Zamora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, so enough about suggesting 'getting an architect'. Like I've stated previously, I'm looking for alternatives. The property is 2 hours south of Tucson and there are NO architects. Thanks.

• miacometlady
    9 years ago
    If people keep coming back to an architect perhaps that is because this is the best answer. Put a Go Pro on a drone and take a video like real estate agents do now. Take pictures near cap, where you envision your structures to be placed. The seller must have given you a survey of your land and its perimeter. Make a rough draft of your ideas on paper. Then drive to the nearest town and show an architect these materials. If you find one with reasonable ideas, who is well versed designing structures for this area then pay him for his time to come out to the property. People who responded to your inquiry didn't mean to offend or frustrate you, they only wanted to offer their advice and help. That includes me too. Good luck with your venture.
  • Architectrunnerguy
    9 years ago

Two hours shouldn't be a problem, It's not like you're hiring a weekly lawn service guy. I'm in an area with an abundance of architects (Annapolis) yet have projects in Loudoun County (2 hours west) and Rehoboth Beach (2 hours east).

• Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    from looking at your idea books, I'd suggest that you investigate contemporary modular homes when it comes time to build your house.

an example of a company that builds prefab homes.

http://methodhomes.net/

I would check with the local municipality/county to see what is required to develop the land such as permits, etc.

I gather the acreage is remote.
  • Architectrunnerguy
    9 years ago

From the previous comment, I looked at your "ideabooks" too and you definitely need someone who doesn't stop their thinking at the buildings walls but stops designing where designing should be stopped. Larger properties like yours it's wherever and for smaller lots it's usually the property line. I'm a strong believer in that approach; thinking of the house and the lot as one. Having enough on my plate and aside from working only face to face, I'm not advocating myself but look at my ideabook and you'll get my drift.

Also with longer vista TO the house as one approaches it, it's important to understand that great houses reveal different things about it from different distances. There's got to be someone in Tucson that mirrors that kind of thinking.

But good luck. Exciting times!!

• awdallas
    9 years ago

Two hours south of Tucson = Rio Rico? With undeveloped acreage, I think you're looking at a full set of consultants: surveyor, geotechnical, civil engineer, and then an architect. It's not cheap, but you don't want to literally build on sand. You can start with an architecture firm in Tucson (Robinette Architects came up first on Google) and let them suggest the other professionals. As an architect in Seattle, I am a big fan of modular homes--I second Kelley Dockrey--but integrating your dwelling with the sun, the view, services and amenities, is what architects do.

• Robert Zamora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay. Perhaps we should close this topic. I'm looking for alternatives, and perhaps a surveyor who can provide me with some elevations and topo photos is the 'Starting place' I'm looking for. I already have video and pano's of the site along with the myriad of photos. As for an architect I've already been down that route with those based in Tucson. (there truly aren't any in the area I'm located, 2000 sq acres and only 30 residents, with myself it makes a grand total of 31.)

Most Architects I've approached scoff at the location and refuse to even have a consultation discussion unless it leads to a $300+ per sq ft home. This is a rural area I'm not building a mansion just a basic structure. Until I actually need to build the house I'm simply looking for some basic site plans to start laying out this giant puzzle and google earth or the stick figure county lot surveys aren't cutting it. Thanks anyway.

• awdallas
    9 years ago

Last post, then: A surveyor will establish your parcel's bounds and give you the slope of the dirt, but you can site your own building without professional assistance as long as you're sure you're on your own property. Your main concern is drainage--that part of the world gets flash floods, so identify the natural gullies and stay well clear of them. Build on a high point so that the ground slopes away from your foundation--preferably on all sides--but stay back from steep slopes. Thick walls and wide overhangs and best of luck to you. (By the by, acres are square--2000 acres = 87 million square feet. If you have 2000 square feet, that's 0.046 acres. A square 2000 feet on a side would be about 92 acres. An acre is 43,560 square feet; a square 209 feet on a side is an acre.)

• PRO
    Red Berm
    9 years ago

I agree a surveyor is the first step. I'm not trying to rehash but Often general contractors will work where an architect won't. Or ask around to see who builds in your area. It sounds like it's a tight community and they may have preferred handymen that can do most anything. If your county/city is relaxed you might not need to submit plans for a house under x sq ft per city/county. Then a contractor may be able to help. Sometimes personal referrals go a long way.

• libradesigneye
    9 years ago

I wouldn't hire anyone yet. I would spend a day at my jurisdictions planning counter. Learn the setbacks, restrictions and zoning for your property. A surveyor won't give you that - he will only tell you where the corners are (something that should already be marked for you to find since you just purchased it) and he could give you grades if there is a lot of relief. You need to ask about flood zones, flood ways, setbacks, whether it is zoned residential or commercial, what the restrictions of the land use planning authority for your land involve. Ask about environmental restrictions. There may be a maximum area you are allowed to grade. FInd out about the floodplain / floodway . .make sure you are not on fema maps for high risk - the desert can be tricky that way.

that is free - but you start at (probably the county is in charge of that here) the land use planning or development services counter. Ask about allowable septic systems, where the nearest power source is in a public right of way. Go to the power company and find out what they will charge to bring power to your property from that location (it alone might be enough to set you onto windmills and solar). You need more basic information about the zoning of this land. You are wrong that architects only work for 300/sf homes. There are some great small straw bale / sustainable residential designers out there - yes, based in Tucson, but don't go to the big places. You want to DIY - okay - you will still need a design professional who can prepare your plans and sign them to get you a permit. A surveyor or civil engineer cannot do that.

Consider getting a trailer to live in on your property - if you are trying to do this without professional guidance (i am a builder, not an architect) then it is going to take a lot longer than usual. Consider a straw bale house - I am in SD and there are builders who specialize in that in the desert for all the right reasons but the best result has an architect involved. Most builders do not have house plans that can be adapted to your unique circumstances - you need passive and active solar protection in your design, consideration of the views, of ways of building that will cost the least in the long run. the 300 / sf house might save you thousands a month in energy costs . . . If you are going off the grid, find out what your parameters are - that information is free, if you ask the right questions and get a meeting with the girls/guys at the county (&/or small city)who permit building in your jurisdiction. be nice - they will be patient with you then.

• libradesigneye
    9 years ago

oh and . . a capped well is not a right to pump - ask the land use counter what is the process to open up a water well, they will have a list of licensed well contractors / drillers .. consider a windmill to power that . .

• Robert Zamora
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've already done the research on zoning, setbacks, easements and so forth so that part is already known. That documentation, including basic survey maps when the well was drilled have already provided all of the necessary information. A local drilling company has already provided a high level quote to open the well and make some decisions on storage tanks given it's 3gpm rate. While not robust for the entire 20 acres it'll be enough for the upper portion while I install an irrigation well at 35gpm on the other 10 acres. While a windmill would be nice, those systems could run about the same cost as a solar powered pump into storage tanks so it's almost a draw. The only downside to a Windmill is it's easier to find someone to fix a well issue than a mechanical Windmill issue. Due to its elevation and location it's not in a flood zone or flood plain or path so that's already taken care of.

And I agree @Red Berm, it is a small community. I was speaking with a local attorney on another family farm I have to deed transfer and her husband is a GC who can do any demo work, septic upgrades, electrical work, trenching etc. Once I have my 'original' family farm back in working order I'll use that as my home base to build out the fresh 20 acres. Perhaps by then I'll have made some additional contacts who can help with the jigsaw puzzle.

I have the info on all of the 'infrastructure' and what I want to do, I just lack the expertise to put it to paper so I don't box myself into a corner. I'll be building with Rastra or other cement based material due the high fire zone risk, that and it's very inexpensive, more so than strawbale and rammed earth. With the right Rastra design, solar panels and rainwater harvesting it'll all be very energy efficient when applied to active and passive solar plans.

Thanks to all for the comments and feedback, it's helped give me food for thought and I'll start with a surveyor. I've found one who said he can put together a topographical version and make home location suggestions as well. Good thing this area of AZ is not brand new to me. I grew up there as a teen and that definitely greases a lot of cold call conversations. :) ~R

• Robert Zamora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS: One other tidbit I have to consider is obtaining a Construction Loan that will meet at least 70-80% of the prevailing home prices in this area. While some modular homes seem like a great idea their prices put them well out of reach. Idebox, Blu Home, Method etc. all have great looking homes but would never come in at a reasonable price as a site built with the proper materials such as Rastra or even Adobe if need be. Those materials get you closer to $175 or even $150 a sq ft.

• Eric
    7 years ago

I realize this post is old, however I was hoping you could provide an update on your solution. I find myself in the same predicament and would appreciate your input, as you hopefully are further along in your plans. I have 50 acres in northern Nevada and plan to put two cabins and a dirt runway for my plane. Did you ever move forward with your plan? If so, how?...Thanks, Eric

• km kane
    7 years ago
    Yes please, update us! When we built, my husband bought a program called Chief Architect, and we designed the place ourselves. It's a. Amazing program, not too easy to use but wow. Got structural engineer to sign off the engineering, and the county inspector approved the overall plans. Is that what you're looking for?
  • Eric
    7 years ago

Thanks for the information. I will definitely check out Chief Architect. I will most likely buy a prefab cabin with plans already engineered. I am mainly looking to create an overall site plan for building placement on the 50 acres, with two cabins, a runway and whatever accessory buildings I decide on. Would that program assist with my goal?

• km kane
    7 years ago

it would. We entered information about the land, slope, etc. you can even add photos of your property. We went to Google and used their photos as reference too. also, go to your county land use office, they should have plenty of info.

• Tim Crosby
    3 years ago

Contact a civil engineer in the general area. They will know about permitting, zoning, geology, have a means to conduct a survey, coordinate utilities (if needed) and address traffic concerns, if any. Always a great first step in land development. Oh, and they create site plans and get them approved for you, too.