Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicko211

Does my kitchen look dated????

Stacy glaydura
9 years ago
We added a dinning area and remodeled our kitchen about 15 years ago. I still love it but does it look dated?

Comments (103)

• apple_pie_order
    9 years ago

Good close-up photos, thanks. You might try the chair photo again outside (this time it looks greenish tan) with a nice green dollar bill in the picture to show color better.

• wantsideas
    9 years ago

Your kitchen and dining room looks very nice. As others have said, new paint color is your best option. One step at a time and you may find that is all you need. You really are going to have to test a color on your wall or paint a large piece of paper or board and move it around the room to see if it works with your other elements including your specific light which we can't really determine from pictures. Happy painting!

• PRO
    Elizabeth Babb
    9 years ago

I agree with what most others said; I would repaint, and replace the backsplash tile. Maybe even the countertop to freshen it up; but I don't think it needs it.

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok here is chair. Room is painted white dove and dove wing. I posted pic of hardwood color and sectional fabric. The natural is base color and 2 pillow in each of other fabric
  • Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is the sectional I bought
  • Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Color of paint is not showing well so here is a pic I found on house using these colors
  • Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oppps
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago

Thanks for green chair photo, now it looks like a grayish celadon. The sectional has a lot of style. I think for these items, you'd save a lot of time if you bought one of those fandecks of paint chips from your favorite paint store. These are subtle colors.

• PRO
    Solid Wood Cabinets
    9 years ago

It's you're kitchen! You are the one who has to walk into it every morning and every night. If you love it than it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. The kitchen is the heart of every home and every home is different.

If you feel that you MUST do something, I think a new paint job would look great!

If you still feel like you need for a new kitchen design (which I think currently looks beautiful), there are a ton of options available. I would do some research and get a feel of what's out there. Maybe you come across something that you can't be without!

Before and After · More Info

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is a pic from living room. U see now why kitchen color is just not working! Ugggg hardwood shown is not new hardwood that is being installed next sat. I will change fabric on chairs. I know I can prob buy cheaper. These chairs are great quality and in good condition other that fabric. They were made by Mitchell gold. So it is worth the investment for new fabric. If I paint hopefully it will push me to do chairs sooner! Lol
  • Milly Rey
    9 years ago

Shades are fine. Swags are not. Get vertical panels in a more contemporary color and paint, and you'll look great. If you want a mat in front of the sink, do a Gelpro mat in a dark reddish-brown.

• PRO
    Giorgi Kitchens & Designs
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is pretty and I don't think you need to do a lot to update. Paint a subtle grey/blue - it looks as though there are some grey tones in the floor?? if so pull from that. The swags are dated, the shades are fine - I would change swags with tones to match the new grey/blue and some tans - in a straight cut not a swooped swag.

• redtartan
    9 years ago

Love the fabric choices of the pillows. I'm not to keen on the green blue paint with those chairs. I like the paint colour on it's own and have something similar in my laundry room, but I don't think it works with the chairs. It's always hard to tell over a computer though. If you are up for taking another photo (I know you've taken a million already lol) can you throw that blue paisley style swatch on the chair so I can see how they look side by side. I think you could pull a more muted colour from that swatch and it would look great, but like I said, it's hard to tell on a computer. I love the sofa.

• er612
    9 years ago

I must have dated taste because I don't think your kitchen is that dated. The only thing I would change is the paint. The color you posted looks great with your chairs and the rest of your furniture. I would remove the valances and paint the walls. The re-evaluate. I think you will be very pleased with the results for the cost of just a gallon of paint.

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am no going to worry about the chair color think I just gonna paint a color that goes with the floor backsplash cabinets and color. Then worry about changing color of chair. I have a feeling the more I look at it the more likely I will find money to change them. Lol really leaning toward the blue gray. If anyone knows some names of great colors lmk I will try them out. I think once the yellow is gonna my dated kitchen can make another 5 years.
  • redtartan
    9 years ago

If you are changing the chairs eventually I would just wait to paint. It's harder to match fabric to paint than it is to match paint to fabric. I was looking at the new Benjamin Moore colours (I usually by Behr so first time on their website) and I do like this one and this it would work with your current colours but it's a greenish not blue.
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/maidofthemist
    One monitor it looks blue the other it looks green so I'm not sure what it's like in person.

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Love how u added everything together blue doesn't look to bad in that pic against the green. So definitely will pick a gray blue color then see where it goes!
  • Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That is a pretty green!
  • Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    If I do chair I will just do a natural. Next time this kitchen gets done everything will go. Well maybe not table lol
  • redtartan
    9 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the transformation that just a little paint can do.

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have decided to paint get rid of swags. I am posting some pics to give u a better idea of cabinet and tile colors. I want to stay neutral so I can keep chairs for now. I usually use BM paint. So ideas of color paint from them will help. Sorry but the garbage can must stay lol as u can see not many cabinets.
  • Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Some more pic from different views
  • Lila
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't see why people are asking you to change your chairs . They seem to be a transitional style and neutral colour. If they are in good shape keep them. I do agree that you need to paint and remove the swags. I would also remove the small picture hanging beside the french doors in the dining room and the small one by the cut-out. The scale is too small. I think you will love your rooms again once you paint. Re the curtains, you might be surprised at how inexpensive drapery panels are now at the homegoods stores.

• lauratasky
    9 years ago

I love the bones of your kitchen, all i would do is remove drapes, paint and re-do flooring, the tile is out dated. i just repainted my house and used sherwin williams Techno gray, it looks great with wood. it is a grayish green. It looks clean, modern and is very soothing.

• Kivi
    9 years ago
    Paint and ditch the swag as you have planned, is a perfectly good solution. I doubt you will need to do more than that.
  • Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Just tried BM grey cloud it clashed terrible! What about revere pewter? I read it is very neutral a warm gray.
  • Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Found these roman shades on country curtains they are cordless . I even went to the store to see in person since they were so inexpensive . I was afraid they looked it. They are great and only 350 to do all windows!!!
  • redtartan
    9 years ago

It was hard to tell from the before with the swags over the shades, but the shades looked fine. I don't think you need to change those. Maybe it looks different with the swags off though.
    Can you link the new paint choice please.

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The shades are just shades not really nice to be on their own. Not sure how to link the color but this morning I picked up a few samples and revere pewter was great! Can t wait to get started painting. I will post pics once completed! Thanks for all the advice.
  • lauratasky
    9 years ago

I fear with all the beige shade of colors its gonna look too dreary, hope Im wrong

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thought I would share my finished kitchen refresh and thank everyone for your input. I ended up painting with revere pewter BM adding some new cordless roman shades and some new prints for the walls. I love the Fresh new clean look. What a difference it made!
  • Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Few more
  • Kivi
    8 years ago
    Very nice Stacy! It does make a big difference, and refreshes the whole space.
  • redtartan
    8 years ago

Love it! Good choice on the colour. Huge difference, good job.

• Tonia Tussey
    8 years ago
    Looks good to me! I think your windows would look good without any curtains though.
  • Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks! I will I could have gotten away without anything on the window too but the afternoon sun is just too strong. It blinds you while eating not to mention heats the kitchen!
  • apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Excellent update with paint and prints. I like the new chrome things in the kitchen to replace the wrought iron ones, too.

• barrowp
    8 years ago

Thanks for sharing the result . I love it too!

• tgb1
    8 years ago

Looks great!

• Teresa Johnson
    8 years ago
    I think your kitchen has so much to offer in beauty. it is very beautiful and if you feel you need a change, I agree with changing dining room widows treatment and enjoy a warm color of paint. simple as that. decide on your favorite warm but light color for your walls. accent the window and trim.
  • Teresa Johnson
    8 years ago
    yes the blue in a light color would def make these cabinets pop and the backsplash as well as counter tops. go for it
  • Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I am sorry Theresa this was an old thread I updated. U missed the photos of the complete refresh
  • er612
    8 years ago

Nice work! Your chairs look so good with the new paint. So glad you didn't replace or reupholster them. I wouldn't even consider "updating" your kitchen in the near future. Tile, counter, cabinets, everything looks great and completely different with the new wall color. Also, I like the shades you chose. They give the space a finished look.

• njmomma
    8 years ago

Looks great! Love the update!

• User
    8 years ago

Beautiful update, Stacy. It's amazing how paint can make such a dramatic change in a room. Your floors look great with the revere pewter. I always liked your dining chairs. Great space! Enjoy :-)

• nanad2457
    8 years ago

I don't think it looks dated but perhaps if you lightened it up a little. Rustic hickory cabinets would be great. Depending on the wood used for the cabinet you might be able to get away with sanding and lightening them up a little and just getting the cabinet fronts. I would get different counter tops, but I wouldn't get anything real expensive. I would get something I could do myself. Like maybe tile

• Tina
    8 years ago
    Very nice. The few changes you made really made a difference.
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to tell you that you did a wonderful job of updating your kitchen. The new paint color looks wonderful, as do the blinds and the new art. Brava!

• K Sissy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think that your kitchen is beautiful. It is a little dated, yes,but so what. If you need a little change why not do some glass inserts, painting the inside a light color or using some wallpaper on the inside to highlight some colorful dishes, etc. Don't forget to add some lighting on the inside so the dishes, etc shows well. Some beautiful leaded glass in those cabinets would look spectacular. This is something that you can do for not a lot of $, to change the look. There are others...changing hardware, etc but, your kitchen is elegant and tasteful, and the leaded glass will only add to that. Good luck!

• nadd2
    8 years ago

Lovely update!