Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheahomesaz

POLL: How likely are you to add a home bar to your home?

Home
bars are great for entertaining, how likely are you to ever install one in your
home?

Share your story below in the comments!

Very likely
Not likely
If I could, I would

Comments (19)

• sooz001
    8 years ago

Installed a combo bar/storage/kitchenette in the walkout basement for approximately $300 using stock kitchen cabinets and a poly'd plywood countertop by sink and on top of the bar.

• Sally Pascale
    8 years ago

We moved our kitchen into the original dining room, and have turned the old kitchen into a family room, but kept the only cabinets, which we have turned into a bar area. Put in a new quartz counter, and a stainless steel square bar sink, and a new oiled bronze faucet. We took out the old dishwasher, and installed a kegerator which made my husband and sons very happy.

Then we just painted the existing sink base and two upper cabinets a nice matte black, with beadboard for a backsplash, and an antique mirror over the sink, and it looks pretty darned snazzy. And relatively inexpensive to do, since all we had to buy was the new sink, faucet and countertop, the plumbing and cabinets were all there.

• rachuba
    8 years ago
    Our glass enclosed lanai has a cabinet and bar sink. We are replacing with new. That will be the new bar.
  • bugsysmom717
    8 years ago
    We're old fogies who don't drink and don't throw parties - it would be a wasted space to us.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That is 80s. LOOOONG GONE. Nowdays, a cart, reminiscent of the 70's would be much better.

• bichonbabe
    8 years ago

Bars are not 80's. They've changed/ipdated since then to include wine storage, ice makers etc. There is nothing 80's about the picture the OP posted.

• bugsysmom717
    8 years ago
    I consider bars to be a place not just to store and/or display alcohol, beer and wine - even nicely displayed glasses - but also a place to pour the drinks - get ice - sinks and small fridges for items needing cooling - etc. I'd hardly call what is in the picture a bar - where are glasses? Where's the ice maker or at least a small fridge/freezer combination - where's the sink - for a splash of water? As a former bartender - I know that's a popular request. The photo shows a fancy way to show off a wine and possibly expensive vodka - scotch - etc. collection (yep - they collect those - whiskeys and scotch made in small quantities like collecting microbrewery beer. Even have Whiskey Bars in Kentucky - like you'd think of Cigar bars - you can go to Whiskey Tastings - or choose from a variety of small local distillers. And Whiskey and Scotch special varieties can have prices to rival collecting wines

But this photo is hardly what most people think of as a home bar - which generally at least provides an area to mix drinks, poor tap beer, chill drinks, etc. I guess to have a sink - it's technically a wet bar. But this looks like a home office displaying someone's prized collection - I see nothing resembling a bar. I have a more aptly called bar in a piece of carved furniture from Hong Kong - with a place for the glasses - the alcohol and even a spot to mix it all - and that's a piece of furniture - yet still has more aspects of a bar than they show! But mine at least holds everything for one would need to mix a drink including glasses - just add ice bucket and you're ready to go.
  • GoingBonkers
    8 years ago

We live in a small mobile home but are having a buffet / server made which will double as a bar and appetizer station when we have company. This way I have storage for liquor & glassware as well as a built in wine rack.

• PRO
    Shea Homes - Arizona
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello, sooz001!
    Sounds awesome! Would love to see it!

• PRO
    Shea Homes - Arizona
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Sally
    Pascale

What a fun project, with a great outcome for you
    and your family! What made you decide to move your kitchen in to the original dining
    space?

• PRO
    Shea Homes - Arizona
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi bugsysmom717,

Great Point! How would you use this type of space, to better
    fit your life style? Maybe an office or media room?

• zazfuzzroc
    8 years ago

Hi Shea, if there's some coffee anywhere in that bar...... then count me in! Oh, and maybe a side of tiramisu! Lol ;) Seriously though, I say why not. I actually have a purchased bar with stools.... it's pretty nice, but Houzz has changed my style..... so, now I may sell it and who knows what's next? Haha!

• PRO
    Shea Homes - Arizona
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi zazfuzzroc!!

We will definitely let our Designers know they left out the
    coffee, which would be perfect for this Monday morning! :)

Yes, Houzz gives you a ton of new ideas to consider but also
    helps you discover what you really like; even styles you didn’t know existed. I’m
    happy to hear Houzz has inspired you and your style!

• zazfuzzroc
    8 years ago

Thanks Shea, you are so kind. :) If I decide to move out your way......I'm definitely looking you up! :)

And yes, Houzz is awesome....I'm actually purchasing a couch that I fell in love with on here. I will stop talking now..... don't want to crowd your post. Lol ;)

PS..... grab yourself a good cup of coffee! :)

Shea Homes - Arizona thanked zazfuzzroc
  • PRO
    WineOhh
    8 years ago

Absolutely! We love entertaining, and a home wine bar is another area for friends/family to gather around. Plus, you get to show off all your lovely glasses & barware.

• PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    8 years ago

We need to look into it. It would be good for entertaining.

• BB Galore
    8 years ago

I have a built-in cabinet next to the fireplace that was designed to hold a tube TV on a slide-out shelf. When we bought the house, we hung a flatscreen over the fireplace...partly because it's properly centered in the room, and partly because there was no way a 60" flatscreen would have fit in that cabinet.

I would love to convert the old cabinet into a dry bar. It's on a mid-level priority list.

• Leeza
    6 years ago

We put a dry bar of sorts in our "new" house dining room (which was the family room on the floorplan). To the right as you look at it, is a counter-height fridge for white wines. And yes I know I shouldn't be aging wine at room conditions; don't worry, we rotate right through them!

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company