Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Anthropologie furniture?

rockybird
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I never looked much at it before, but I really like a lot of their items! Does anyone know anything about the quality? It seems that a lot of their items are made in the US by craftsman. Do they ever have sales?

I am in love with this bar. I dont even drink, but I just love the color! I suppose it would be silly to buy it especially if I may be installing a custom bar later? I think it would look nice under the clock behind the dining table below...

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/34461483.jsp?cm_vc=SEARCH_RESULTS#/

And then there is this CUTE vanity!!!

https://www.houzz.com/products/petaluma-vanity-set-prvw-vr~25957985

I suppose this would be a silly purchase, given my bathroom will be gutted and remodeled (but i know I could find a place for it) ...plus maybe it is a little too cute?

I am wondering what you all think of these stools? I have been on the lookout for new stools for my island. I wanted dwr stools, but they are too much $$$. These are very reasonably priced. Would the green be the wrong color for mcm? Should I stay safe and get the white? Or are the stools too organic for a mcm home?

Comments (24)

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Why not Tolix stools?

I have Anthro. nightstands I bought last year for the beachhouse. They are not junk but they certainly aren't fine furniture. I do agree, they have great designs. I am in love with their Shibori sofa, too.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is a very cute sofa! I dont know why, but I never really liked the Tolix stools. :(

Is Anthropologie around the same quality as West Elm? I bought a credenza from WE for that same space under the clock and there was a small dent in the front. I took it back, which was no easy task. I was really disappointed that they would let a defect like that get by.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

I don't know West Elm in particular. But I would imagine so.

• User
    9 years ago

I am praying the bar is a one off and you buy it quickly. That will satisfy my craving.

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    9 years ago

I don't know Anthro's furniture quality, but West Elm is Pottery Barn's lesser quality/price point sibling. I certainly hope that Anthro has better quality than West Elm; in my mind, it must!!! That bar is delightful. It is shouting your name!! You should get it. Now.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Yeah, that bar is so darn cute. I was thinking of it for the carriage house. But I don't drink and most of my guests aren't really big drinkers and one of them is AA, so, like, no. They should offer it as a TV cab.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

How much is that bar? It might work for us, even as a placeholder (while we search for something we like more that is better quality). Right now, we have an old piece of office furniture storing liquor and house remodel paperwork.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I love that bar, too, especially in the blue color. I think, though, that the probability of receiving a flawless specimen of a lacquer finish is fairly low or maybe I'm just a pessimist in this case.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/34461483.jsp?cm_vc=SEARCH_RESULTS#/

Above is the link for the bar. It is $2k. If I could be guaranteed of the color and quality, I would buy it. I am just nervous that it might have defects, as fun2bhere suggests, or the color will be off. It says "mint" in the description. I thought it was a blue? It says it is imported. I wonder where it is imported from? If it's China, forget it. I guess it wouldnt hurt to call Anthropologie and ask.

I think I will forget about the stools and just get two of the basam stools from dwr when they go on sale.

I think the vanity is too cutesy.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I like Anthro' s furniture. It's not heirloom quality :-), but it's interesting and fun. I think it's overpriced, but it's certainly more accessible than designer stuff.

Rocky, I like everything you've shown, but the stools are probably the most practical. I wouldn't get the vanity until your bathroom plans are settled.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. Now I am now worried about the quality! I think I am just going to hold off. The items are not exactly cheap, and I would rather spend on better quality furniture products, even if it's a little more. I think I'll just wait and get the basam fellows stools at dwr when they go on sale. This forum is awesome!

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Rockybird,

This bar is very, very similar to the one you like.... different color, of course...and i think it was the gorgeous Mint color that got your attention. Anyway, this is from Bassett Furniture... they have some good looking pieces, and surprisingly, HGTV has teamed up with them and has a line of furniture with them. Anyway, the this piece is on clearance, it's less than 1/2 the price of the Anthropology bar, and they ship!

I have to say, I do like it. I recently saw a bar that I went gaga for... and I can not find it anywhere. I don't remember where I saw it. It was black and it was a tall cabinet and really good looking.

Don't even know why I even mentioned that. I don't need a bar anymore, I found a fabulous Hollywood Regency cabinet and just need to get it painted in a gorgeous pale lilac. Behr's Night Music at 25% lighter.

Anyway, check out this bar cabinet. The link is to the site and will give you more info.

How is little birdie doing?

Look-a-like

ETA: I meant to ask you if you've ever seen stylebyemilyhenderson.com? I don't really follow any blogs, but I do enjoy her and the reason I asked for you, is because she too, bought a mid mod house and is completely doing it over.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

really cool stuff. really over my budget.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I imagine that Bassett bar is on half-price sale because it's proportions are all off.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Honestly, sometimes when you lust after something pricey, and you find a cheaper alternate, you realize why. The sizzle on the Anthro. piece comes from the wonderful color (whatever it is) and sheen, and the gold base, and elegant proportions.

The Bassett piece is a really good find as a replica, but has none of the sex appeal to me. The colors, for one; not even sure what the finish is on the bottom. The top heaviness. And even the door style ... the appeal is that is should be sleek, not traditional.

Such a bummer, but beauty has its price.

BTW, I can be more specific about my Anthro pieces if that helps. There were no defects. they were as pictured, I like them very much. The drawers are kind of clunky and do not open smoothly. To me, drawer function is where you can really differentiate furniture quality. I will say, it was about what I expected; I would never think of them for quality furniture, I think of them for trendy, fun pieces. I have them in MBR at the beachhouse.

anthro nightstands

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

enmc- gorgious bar! I have to say though that I am really in love with the blue/mint color.

- Scout is doing great! Her toe healed amazingly well. Thank you. :)

Violetwest- I agree - it is expensive, especially for something you cant at least see in person. And for what I can find online, anthro. does not have many sales.

Thanks mtnredredux! That nightstand is simply adorable!

I still havent ruled out the bar, but it is expensive for something I dont really need. I am going to search and see if I can find something similar, but I doubt I will.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay so now I am obssessing over their furniture. I called and they are going to email me with info as to where the bar is made. Look at this cute bed, and it has a great review from 09. It almost make me regret my modernica purchase of the eames style bed :

And these tables! I love the blue!

• ruthpets
    9 years ago

Rockybird, do you ever look through Etsy? I bought a cute, inexpensive MCM-ish desk and I love it! I've also bought some great, vintage, well-priced pieces from Chairish as well. BTW, I *do* love that Anthro bar cart!!

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes, I love etsy! I have even sold some of my mcm items on etsy. I think the furniture will have to wait as I decided it might be better decision to bury the electrical line in my backyard. No glossy blue bars, pretty marble topped tables or cute vanities for me for awhile I think! I did search for something similar on etsy, but couldnt find anything. It looks like a one of a kind item.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, the Anthro barcart is actually a good deal, in as much as it is a better priced knockoff of this : (which is certainly a knock off of something else!).

(I came across this when I was looking for something on Layla Grace)

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mtnredux! It certainly is a better deal. Maybe later in the year, I can get it. If I hadnt decided to bury the electrical line, I would think about the bar, but I hadnt planned on the addtl. cost of the electrical line in the landscaping. :( I just feel like it brings the whole project down.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I really like the white bed! But yes, your priorities are in order. Making rational spending decisions is just no fun at all :-)