anjimohini

Need Advice on Furniture..

Anji
April 14, 2015

Hello Everyone, I Need To Know, that from where can i start in my New home, Thinking to Buy Furniture Before We Move in New House, But very Confused, Should I Start with Leaving room, or Entry way With Console or Flex Room..... Should I Buy Furniture same pattern in whole house?? Like, should i need to match my dining table with console table, coffee table etc...??? i like Contemporary Look, my wall paint is CA187 Platinum artison

, and hardwood is Maple, Cliff Shade Grey, 3 1/2", i have seen Taraval sofa in crate and barrel should i put Settee With this sofa? Please help me To Purchase furniture and please give me some ideas, i have attached some pics of my unfinished Leaving room and flex room for reference. also i have add my all chosen stuff pics like hardwood, kitchen cabinet, tile etc...

Thanks in advance...

Comments (1.7K)

• karemore55

Another possibility is something like this door, which is contemporary in style but has a rustic stain finish. I think you could get away with that if you do want something a bit rustic.

• karemore55

I also came across this style, which is contemporary and has an interesting pattern to it. Again, I picture something painted for extra interest.

Need advice on furniture ideas for fireplace romance

Thank you but the fireplace is far away from US, I'm from Europe. However, I'm pretty sure that it'll be custom made. The fireplace will be rebuilt, too, from different materials.I've already chosen an interior designer, but regarding the fireplace and my ideas/dreams connected to it I think it is best to explore and find the opportunities by myself. With the help of this community, it was easy, so thanks again to everyone. It's 2 a.m so I better get some sleep :)

Need advice for furniture placement in awkward living room

likely no TV and will eventually put in a light to med. shade hardwood floor - not grey. The fireplace painting.. I know and would normally agree - would not paint if it was nice red bricks but they have a peachy and green-ish tones and hate the wood top...got a really cool hanging lamp for that cut out thing..more stumped on what furniture to buy and how to layout.

HELP PLEASE!!! Need advice on furniture finishes!

To much wood can make the room dark and small. Maybe change the end & coffee tables to iron with glass tops and then add vibrant colored platters/bowls etc., a rug with your colors. Use your motif in fabrics such as pillows and recover the glider rocker. Maybe paint the wall behind the wall unit more of a cream/light mocha/beige. Add lamps with a light or bright colored base.

Need advice for furniture layout of large living room

Maybe you could have another separate area with a few chairs for reading or visiting, away from the TV zone. Or a small to medium size round table with four comfy chairs. If those areas had a rug they would feel more like a mini room inside the larger area. Beautiful space though, love all the light!
  • karemore55

I should mention that the barn doors, when open, would block those two electrical outlets on the wall so hopefully this wouldn't be a problem?

• happyleg

They make nose; read my above statement b4 u said Good morning kare.

• happyleg

Pick one of them I checked.

• karemore55

Happy, I agree this type of door is a bit noisy and for that reason I would never use one in a bedroom. I have seen this trend of using sliding barnstyle doors to separate bedrooms and ensuite bathrooms, and I personally don't think they make sense there. But, I'm thinking it would be OK if the door is for the bonus room....less chance of disturbing someone there, probably.

• happyleg

Agree never a bathroom, big exposure!

• Gcubed

Barn door will also not provide any noise dampening if bonus room is going to be used for movies, kids game room, etc.
    Obviously regular door aren’t sound proof either but a French door would be better at keeping in noise than a barn door

• Anji

Hi Kare, happy
    Bones room already there we had potential to build media room in the attic so we just open that wall (you can see pink stud in that dark room that will be media room) so you can go from bonus room to the media room, bonus room is around 11’ X 18’ and media room will be 11’ X 10’.
    Kare I don’t have that blue sectional that I was using in old house only I have that art and curtain, but I don’t want another sitting area in bonus room may be art room or game room??
    Or if you have another plan for bonus room:)
    For media room I don’t have big space to put many things but I am looking for comfy sofa or something else where we can comfortably watch movie :)
    We are still thinking for door, our contractor will

• karemore55

The media room will be very small but it could work. You might not want a big projector screen or anything like that, since the furthest you could sit from the TV is 11'. But I think the acoustics would be really good in there since it is smaller and so enclosed, so that is great. As for the bonus room, I wonder about a craft/hobby room? I can't remember where you said you planned to do your terrarium hobby, but would the bonus room make sense? And I bet your daughter likes to do crafts, so we could potentially do a space that makes it easy to be creative?

• Anji

Hi Kare, happy
    I got and assembled entryway furniture, are both at right place or do I need to move?

• karemore55

Looks great, Anji! And does it look like you will still have room on that other wall for the console table? Can hardly wait to see that sheepskin rug on the bench! And some art above it - maybe the same art you had in the entryway of your Edmonton house?

• Anji

Yes, looks great :) I need to open that box for shipskin bcoz still I did not unpacked some of the boxes, yes I will use same wall art, and will put console table.

• karemore55

I hope your weekend was more relaxing than the last one? And did the WE scribble curtains arrive yet?

• Anji

Now flex room :) we put that fabrikor glass door cupboard and hang the curtains, is one pair enough for that window and do you think for another pair??
    We are thinking to move that floor lamp to the bonus room.
    Now what art will go on walls??

• karemore55

I'm sure one pair of curtains will be enough since they don't need to close. You can post a pic, though, just to make sure. If you move the lamp to the bonus room, would you get a different one for the flex room? It adds a lot of architectural interest to this space, so I worry about it leaving the room:(. I have been watching for black & white art for this room, and haven't really found anything too exciting. I might have to change my thinking on that. Another possibility might be a mirror - does that interest you? I feel we have lots of color and pattern in here already, so didn't want the art to be colourful or it might start looking too busy. Another possibility might be art that is abstract, but with a serene look and palette. I'll do some more looking for you either later this evening or else tomorrow.

• Anji

I m sorry, I took pictures but forget to post

• karemore55

The curtains look great, Anji, but the rod is a little too high....would you be able to lower it so that the curtains are about one inch from the floor?
    The Fabrikor cabinet looks really good there - it's perfect for this room. What happened to the wood bar cabinet your husband bought? Did you find a spot for it?
    Yes, we definitely need some art and possibly a mirror for this space. Also some kind of lamp. I'll poke around looking for art tomorrow.

• happyleg

What is this room purpose/use?

• Anji

Good morning Kare, ok will keep that floor lamp as is and lower the height.
    And I’ll ask my husband if he can lower the curtain, and we return that wood bar cabinet.

• Anji

Yes I ordered living room curtains again last week and may be Next week we will pick up from USPS.

• Anji

Hi Kare, you asked me if I have some accessories from old house, today I came early due to extremely bad weather here in Houston. I decided to take pictures and send it to you. Please let me know if you think I can use in entryway or in flex room or somewhere in house.

• Anji

I moved console table to the entryway, what do you think??

• Anji

Shoes bench is small so I can’t fit my both shipskin rug.

• Anji

Couple more pictures

• Anji

I have couple old terrarium

• karemore55

Hi Anji, I just love all your accessories! I remember most of it, especially that fun wall art. Before we get to those, I have been pondering your blue lamps that still don't have a home. I'm wondering if we should put your bedroom lamps downstairs...I'm thinking we could put one on your hallway console table, and the other on the end table beside your sofa? Then the blue lamps could become your bedroom lamps. Another possibility is to leave the bedroom lamps as is, and put the blue lamps on the console and on the end table. I struggle with that a bit because I'm not sure I want to see too much blue in the entryway, as it would compete with the pink. So I'm thinking to highlight the pink and play down the blue - what do you think?
    So, on the console table you could mount the larger pink wall art and have one bedroom lamp on the right side. Then....not sure what will look best to balance that but let's start with the black wire art that looks like a fan. Can you try that and take a pic? Don't hang any art yet, until we are sure. For the smaller mostly blue art, maybe it could hang above the shoe bench? A third option is to hang a mirror above the console table - which I personally find is very handy when I'm getting ready to leave the house - and hang both the pink and the blue art above the shoe bench. You could hang the blue art above the pink art.

• karemore55

Or - pink art above shoe bench and smaller blue art propped on the taller shoe rack, as you show in that one pic? And mirror above console.

• karemore55

A couple of mirrors from Ikea....the white framed one is a lot cheaper but it's pretty boring. But if it can be taken apart, maybe you could spray paint it an interesting color like mint green or mustard yellow? Or.....if you went with the wood frame mirror, maybe a blue lamp could work on the console? Lots of decisions!

• Anji

Kare, first set up

• Anji

Kare I love this set up but not sure is that art at on right height?? Or do I need to move it??

• karemore55

OK I think we're doing pretty good for our first attempt....both art pieces look good where they are, but I would lower them both - the blue art over the bench looks like it could be about 3" lower, and the pink art over the console...mmm, I'd say a good 6" or maybe 8". Do you have someone handy who could hold the art lower while you take the pic? I hate to make you put nail holes all over the walls lol. But they both look very nice in this area - I love both those pieces so much!

• karemore55

Actually, can you hang the pink art so that the bottom is 10 - 12" above the console? I measure my art that is over my dining room cupboard and it is 11" from the cupboard.

• karemore55

Just studying all the accessories and thinking maybe you could try putting the small white vase with flowers and the white lantern together on top of the tall shoe cabinet?

• happyleg

That is looking nice! It's feeling home.

• Anne Duke

Please, please, move the entry rug so it’s just under the front feet of the furniture, and a couple of inches from the front door. Your home is so cute, love your colors.

• Anji

hi Anne, thank you..../I will move the rug.
    Kare I lower the both wall art, and put white Vase and lantern on the shoes cabinet.

• karemore55

Yes, the lantern and vase look good there. And what about either the camel or the blue ornament (can't tell what it is but looks kind of like a snail?) up there with the lantern and vase? The two art pieces look good....I keep wondering about lowering the larger oink one even more, but let's leave it for now while we accessorize. Also, if you could turn the black wire sculpture that looks like a fan so that it is straight, and then add the black wire/mesh urn (vase?) somewhere close to it, let's see what that looks like.

• karemore55

Oh, I see in a different pic that there are two blue ornaments and they look like birds? So, yes, let's try the birds on the tall shoe cabinet with the white stuff.

• happyleg

Can't lower art, pillow would be in it.

• karemore55

Happy, I meant the pink art that is above the console...what do you think? Should it go a bit lower?

• karemore55

Anji, you could try this bowl on the console also, along with the two black wire pieces:

• karemore55

The flowers in the mason jar look great on the dining table, but not sure about the lantern that is currently beside them - is that how you had it in your Edmonton house? And your terrariums - are these the ones you used to have on your coffee table? Because I think they would look beautiful there. Also they'd get a bit of light from the nearby windows.

• Anji

Good morning Kare, happy
    Today after work I will set up that vase and wire mesh on that console, will lower the pink art (it is 11” from table, should I go 9” or lower??)
    I’ll add blue bird on shoes cabinet as well.
    Kare did you find anything for flex room?? I think I need to buy more stuff for that glass fabrikor cabinet.

• karemore55

Hi Anji! Yes, 9" should work. I wouldn't want to go lower than that, or we will end up having a problem with the lamp looking too short lol.
    Flex Room: I have been studying your flex room pics and would like to suggest a change in the overhead lighting - the chandelier, I can see it's a builder-basic chandelier, and isn't really suiting the look of your room. If you are interested in this one from Ikea, I think it would be a much better fit for this space.

• karemore55

That second pic isn't the same Ikea light, but they are nearly identical. The difference is that the Ikea one is $30. and the other one (from Lamps Plus) is $200. Go figure! They are almost the same size, so the only difference I would guess is the material used to make the shades. Anyway, it would look great in your flex room, whichever one you buy.

• karemore55

As far as black & white art, I've pretty much given up on that idea. I am having trouble sourcing B&W art that is interesting and suitable. So....I decided that a little more bright color wouldn't hurt at all lol. I was inspired by the art in your entryway and thought maybe we could carry that look into the flex room. I discovered an artist on overstock.com named Sylvie Demers. She is a Canadian artist and her art work is bright and happy and fun, and would totally suit the vibe in this room. I did four collages showing some of her work, but you can look at the rest of her art online, if you want.

• karemore55

You'll notice the art in the last collage is above the Fabrikor cabinet. For some reason, I felt this quieter piece would look better over there. If you like that piece and want it there, we can figure out something for the wall above the bench. Something smaller...and oh man I wish I could find something in black & white!

• karemore55

I thought we could leave the Fabrikor cabinet for last - once you have tablescaped your entryway, living room and bedroom. Then, depending on what's left you may need to buy more, but then again maybe you'll have enough. You could start by placing that chest that is on the floor next to the cabinet onto the bottom shelf of it. That seems like a nice bulky item to "ground" the cabinet. And I do like that small pot with the grass right where it is, on the floor.....at least for now. Maybe we will come up with a better spot for it down the road.

• happyleg

The art on console appears 12 inches above table, that's good.