Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amystrazzlee

What do I do with baseboard moulding if I want to tile a wall?

Amy Lee
9 years ago

I have this glass and ceramic mosaic tile that I was considering tiling up (or around the bottom quarter) of my first floor hall/guest bath. The sink will be a white pedestal sink. How do I marry that with the existing wood floor baseboard?

~Do I cut out the baseboard just for the wall behind the sink?

~Do I start the tile on the lip of the baseboard (the is stock baseboard and has a very thin top profile...tile will not be flush)

Any thoughts, ideas, likes or dislikes welcome! Tia!

Comments (13)

• Amy Lee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So sorry the photos went in upside down and sideways!

• marilynellis
    9 years ago
    No tile above baseboard.
  • PRO
    VANESSA ROHRER
    9 years ago

I would cut off the entire baseboard and do the whole wall in tile. The reason I would cut the baseboard is because that way it is flush and clean also the baseboard as a lip on it and wont be flush with the tile.

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Honestly, I think it depends which way you prefer. Good luck! :) Hope this helps....click on photos...

Interior Photos · More Info

Supon Phornirunlit/ Naked Decor · More Info

• Michelle
    9 years ago
    I would remove the baseboard on the wall that you want to tile, install the tile and then replace the baseboard.
    Not a good idea to put tile on lip of baseboard. When you add the tile plus cement behind it, the tile will most likely stick out over the baseboard. Not a good look. Best to do it the correct way even though it requires you to remove the baseboard.
    The tile will be great behind your pedestal sink and will protect the wall from water splashes.
  • leelee
    9 years ago

Agree with mishbooth.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    9 years ago

Best and cleanest look would be to remove the baseboard and tile the whole wall. Keep in mind that when your wood floors were installed, the installers had to leave an expansion gap to the wall to allow the wood to breathe properly during your summer and winter months. The quarter round (stained the same color as your wood floor) is used to cover this gap. You will need to make sure that your new tile covers this gap. You can used silicon caulking (same color as grout) to fill small gaps.

• jhmarie
    9 years ago

I had a gap between floor and tile where they meet that the tile guy cover by making a "base board" out of matching bullnose tile. If my explanation is confusing, let me know and I will try to post a picture.

• Amy Lee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input.:) I would take away the baseboard only on that one wall. Like the picture from Zazfuzzroc (Ty!) It is surrounded by a 90 degree angle on one side and a 130 degree angle on the other. I am worried the tile will accentuate the uneven space. And will the tile be an improvement....?

Another picture that I cannot rotate?

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

No problem Amy. You're welcome.

Btw, I think the tile will be fine and look very nice. :)

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    9 years ago

jhmarie - A cheaper route than purchasing bullnose that could cost $3 - $7 each is to cut the field tile down. Normally you will spend $0.99 - $5 per sq ft. Cutting these tiles down will allow you to spread your dollar. For an ugly edge looking up at you, simply paint it the color of your wall as pictured below.

• jhmarie
    9 years ago

Thank you Cinar. In my case it was white subway tile and the bullnose was leftover from that already purchased. I had tiled the floor a few years earlier and went close enough to the wall for the edge to be hidden by baseboard. When we had the walls done, the space between the floor and wall was too big with the baseboard removed, and fortunately we had enough bullnose to make a tile one.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County