Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margarethadevisetiakusuma

Wooden floor : Laminate or solid wood?

Margaretha D Setiakusuma
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I am living in Tangerang, Banten, Indonesia. I am building a room for my father at ground floor. I want to put wooden floor. Should I go for laminating or solid wood? The climate here is humid. I am aiming for the laminate floor with 95mm thickness.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I agree with using solid wood flooring in favor of laminate.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    How about a bamboo hardwood floor?
  • PRO
    Shanghai Linfeng Parquet CO.,LTD
    11 years ago
    Laminate flooring may swell or warp under pooling liquids or in high levels of humidity. And unfortunately, damaged laminate floors cannot be sanded or re-finished, they can only be replaced.

Bamboo flooring has a degree of moisture resistance that is higher than most solid hardwoods. That said, you should still never leave liquid on it for an extended period of time, and protect your bamboo floor with a moisture barrier if needed.
  • Margaretha D Setiakusuma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you, Diana. I will listen to your advice. Much appreciate. Hugs from Indonesia..... I am posing in front of my house. I am going to close the garage at the back of my car and move the car port to the left side of the house.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dear Carolyn,
    Thank you for your suggestion on bamboo hardwood floor. As I am interested more in rustic design, which I see it fits better into my house style....I don't think I will go with bamboo this time. However, I like bamboo pattern, sure. I will choose to use it when I have Chinese project design.
    Hugs from Indonesia...
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    11 years ago
    Your house looks beautiful! Can you post pictures of the inside, especially the room you are redoing?
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dear Shanghai Linfeng Parquet,
    I do not find bamboo flooring in Jakarta. I check your profile and prices, wow.... I'd better go with solid wood because we have a lot of forest in Indonesia. I can find local solid wood products with export quality. The available materials are : teak, sonokeling, bengkirai, merbau and mahogany. Sorry, sonokeling, bengkirai and merbau are local names, I don't know what to call them in English. I guess we only have the trees in Indonesia.
    Bamboo we have a lot here. I've seen some furniture made out of pressed bamboo. Compare to those with mahogany, it's a lot more expensive.
    As teak, we have a lot here as well. The price depends on the quality of the craftsman. Some are rough and cheap, some are smooth and really expensive.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Dear Dytecture,
    I am now reviewing on the prices of solid wood. For flooring, I can go with Merbau...the width is 9 cm, thickness is 1,5 cm. I am still waiting for the right finishing samples. Best regards from Indonesia.
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    11 years ago
    Very nice home. I been to Indonesia, Malaysia , Singapore etc. I noticed the general flooring was tile. I assumed it was because of the humidity and concrete floors. I,m hoping some flooring contractors will add to my comments. Humidity is a major issue but it can be controlled. If the garage floor is raised and has a wood substrate along with the proper vapor barriers and controlled climate (air-conditioning) then a solid wood flooring wood be fine. If the floor could not be raised, a consideration would be a snap and lock engineered flooring. The floor substrate, floor material and air in the home should maintain a constant humidity level within a certain percentage. Sounds complicated I know, a competent local supplier should be able to explain and work out the details with you. Hugs from Indiana.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    I only mentioned the bamboo because some of it is quite well priced here in the US and I thought it might be considerably less expensive there. High heeled shoes seem to create a lot of dents in some bamboo flooring. Is it the custom in Indonesia to remove your shoes in the house? Anyway, it seems that you have a lot of other woods native to your area that you'll be able to use.
  • PRO
    KnowInk
    5 years ago

I am having to rebuild 3/4 of our house on St. John USVI after the horrible hurricanes last year and was told certain beetles LOVE to eat bamboo products down here so no bamboo anything for me...or Seagrass, pine, MFWood, laminated furniture etc. Solid Teak and mahogany is advised.