Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mannekokd

Help adding curb appeal to blah home exterior

Cdub P
8 years ago

We bought this home for a steal in 2011 and have updated the interior. I have always hated the exterior but love our lot size, neighbors and the community. Kids are happy, etc. I would like ideas on how to improve the outside with any wood trim ideas, landscaping, whatever ideas anyone has. It was built in the 90's and so it is your typical builder home but the neighborhood is established with many trees. I like traditional looking homes and would like to add symmetry to this home if possible. Thank you.

Comments (7)

• sooz001
    8 years ago

A more impressive front entry would not only shield visitors from weather, but give your entire facade more presence. The roof could have the same slope as the roof above, but then have an arched piece beneath connected to a couple of pillars to reference your arched windows. See Houzz Photos under "entry portico" for examples. Once the portico is in place, you might consider balancing the landscaping at left with additional plantings at right, adding some landscape lighting, or even spots that shine on the front of the house at night.

Cdub P thanked sooz001
  • patrinkac
    8 years ago
    Entry way appears recessed. Think about arched portico at that point. Using awning if not ready for big ticket build. Are the tall trees palms? Remove one bushy at the base and have gardener/landscaper install more formal plantings at the bases of the trees.
    I love the classic style of your home!
    Cdub P thanked patrinkac
  • Cdub P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for all your great ideas. The trees are pines and I cannot cut them as that would be against HOA rules as the neighborhood attraction are the trees. Would adding shutters to this house be a big no.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

can you set beavers loose in your yard? my last house was "blessed" with these tall pines and i was happy to lose one or two every winter, happily not on top of our roof.

• Cdub P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We lost some in the back during a drought here 2 summers ago. The ones in the front just keep hanging on...

• PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    8 years ago

A couple observations, if I may.

And I would not refer to your proud home as "a typical builder home", or a blah exterior, either. I would agree to trying some wood trim around the windows, though. I love the consistent small panes, and drapes rather than pull shades.

a. In your mind's eye or on a few enlarged prints of your photo, made on plain paper at the library, cut one or two up to get pieces of brick wall, lawn area, and pieces of green hedge to place on the base print: "remove" the little carved balls in front of the hedge on the left, "replacing" with hedge, and the untrimmed shrub in front of the window on the right, "replacing" with clear window. "Remove" the plant beds on the front lawn under the pines, "replacing" with lawn.

How does that simplicity appeal to you and your spouse?, and your mother-in-law?

b. To go another step toward simplicity, you might "remove" the hedges along the foundations, "replacing" with brick, as there is no foundation to hide, replacing them with a bed of groundcovers and bulbs, if not already present.

c. You could "place" wooden framing around your windows with a white pencil or ink, or a White-Out pen, if they still make these beauties that helped us edit our typewriter errors.

d. Consider running a couple header boards across the two pine trunks on the right to support a couple of wooden swings from above, and have them extend two feet beyond each tree. (paired 4"x8"'s twelve feet above ground, supported from the pines with two 1/2" bolts (w/1-1/2" washers) one above the other. At least 18" from each tree, place a smaller board above and below the headers to mount a pair of swing hangars w/ 'S' hooks (5/16" plated) to support 4/0 welded hot galv. chain (or manila rope). At the bottom of the chain, place another 'S' hook to hold the eyebolt through the hard seat of butyl rubber ($10) or wood, or a belt seat ($7). If you don't have 8' between trees, have only one swing, or a double-wide hard seat.

A swing hanger costs about $5, a 'S' hook 25 cents, and the chains perhaps 50 cents/ft.

Eventually, you will need to mulch below with fine pine bark or pine needles to prevent muddy feet.

Keep it simple outside and warm and welcoming inside.

Hope I have given you something to think about.

cascio.offsite@gmail.com

Cdub P thanked Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions