asked questions like
Would we have a contract,
How would contractors be
paid,would we set up
a budget, deciding on an
amount we would not
exceed and what would
happen if I was not satisfied
with her design plan- back to the drawing board or pay for plans and go our separate ways?. Am I
being unreasonable in
what I'm asking/needing?
Know I need a flat fee decorator, am so frustrated
As I've been working on this
since October, I know I need a professional for several issues. Your input is
appreciated. I have found some professionals on houzz. What kind of things should I be asking prospective designers. I thought I was doing a
good job, but not good enough!

Comments (12)

• Judy Tobey
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    the second decorator charged by the hour, not the order. I think a flat fee would be better, is that customary? I think I would feel more comfortable with it!
  • PRO
    Bassett Furniture Design Studio
    11 years ago
    There are, as you have discovered several ways to work with designers. As to the designer that does not have a showroom or a place for you to 'sit on it', I would offer this: the designer is the professional that is to be trained in the way furniture sits, feels and is styled. Once the specifications have been defined, the designer makes recommendations on the pieces you will need. You must trust the designer. However, if a piece is not satisfactory, the designer should handle the objection in such a way that everyone is satisfied. The second designer should give you a contract, with a proposed budget loosely itemized. Another approach would be hourly rathe r than flat fee. In this approach you could take it slow. And review the progress along the way, and have the option to exit at any time. I have worked in several capacities with clients. Good luck.

www.scottscreativehome.com
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    I agree with many of Scott's comments but I always have a contract whether I'm working hourly or on a flat rate. In each, I lay out what the scope of the project is, number of estimated hours (if hourly), or budget & deliverables & completion criteria on a flat rate project. But there are a couple things I don't purchase online or remotely and one of those is a sofa. If it turns out not be comfortable for a client, there is little I can do to fix that without buying another one. I think they need to take the "fanny" test before buying.
  • Judy Tobey
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'm starting from scratch now, whole new bunch of decorators. Besides asking them about trying out furniture/ going to stores with me, what else should I ask? Feel like it's deja vu, but thanks to houzz, do know WAY more than I did last fall!
  • Tracy Penner
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Finding the right designer is very much about finding a 'fit' for your needs, your style and your personality. Keep trying till you find the right fit!

PS It is worth the extra time and patience up front to find the right person -- trust is key; you have to be able to trust their style, their ability to work with your budget and to understand your specific needs, such as testing a sofa. Just so long as you are clear about what your specific needs are up front, to keep it fair. The danger for any designer on a fixed fee is that a demanding customer can quickly erode the time allowance, and nobody wants to work for free.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    I think your questions and your approach were entirely sensible and justified. You'll know when you meet the right one because he/she will be on the same page and you'll feel like finally you're speaking with someone who speaks your language. The clearer you are on what you want and what approach you are comfortable with, the easier it should be for the designer to devise a strategy that will work for both of you. Best of luck to you.

If you are in the Toronto area I would be delighted to meet with you. I work with furniture manufacturers whose every sofa order is uniquely designed. There are samples in their showroom to test dimensions and cushions etc. so the final product is tuned to your specifications. Your back issue is very important and you must stand your ground about getting something that's comfortable for you.

Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    www.ctaylor-luce.com
    ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    If you live in a city with furniture stores, or designer showrooms, your designer can take you there so that you can sit on sofas and chairs. She would determine which pieces fit your design requirements. YOU would determine the comfort of what is recommended. She would show you fabrics in which the item could be ordered. Together you would select the fabric.
  • Judy Tobey
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, Carolyn and that would be fine.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Then that gives you something to inquire about with prospective designers.
  • PRO
    Bassett Furniture Design Studio
    11 years ago
    You might also do some leg work on the perfect sofa for you. Since the sofa is a main concern for you, focus on getting your own clarity. As Carolyn suggested, going to some furniture stores, even on your own and focusing on the features you like will better prepare you for your designer. Here are some rough guidelines,
    Length of inside sitting area
    Height of seat
    Depth of seat (very important)
    Back cushions attached or loose
    Firmness of back cushions
    Firmness of seat cushions
    Construction of seat cushion (will it hold its shape and firmness)
    Warrantee and replacement of seat cushions.
    Frame construction
    These are just some items about the actual structure. You will want to discuss the fabric construction with your designer.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Excellent suggestions from Scott. So remember please to take your tapemeasure with you when you go shopping.