Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalius_duncia

Suggestions for the open floor plan living room decorating ideas

Dalius Duncia
8 years ago

I am closing on a condo in Chicago and would like to hear any decorating ideas for the open plan living room. The living room has exposed brick and wood floors. Any suggestions on furniture placement would be greatly appreciated. Picture are attached. Thanks.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

loose the curtain, and I'm not a fan of that fan! Tho the space is "industrial" its also traditional. I say move in and let us see what you have. Looks like you could have an amazing area up front. but we have to know what you like, how you live, and what you have.

Dalius Duncia thanked flair lighting
  • Dalius Duncia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The curtain is definitely going to be removed. It just came with the condo. I would like to have a dining area, TV area, and a lounge area in the sun room (upfront). My new neighbors have dining tables in the sun room but this layout doesn't have any appeal to me. I am thinking of mounting a TV on the wall near that curtain (which will be removed) and having a custom build bench (or any nice bench if that matters) or a sofa and some chairs (or arm chairs). what type of furniture should I use in the TV area? Sofa and a chair? Or two chairs? I like industrial (loft) style. I am not bringing any living room furniture with me. Want to have a "fresh" start. :)

• acm
    8 years ago

Dimensions would be a great help here!!

Dalius Duncia thanked acm
  • PRO
    Ezmod Furniture
    8 years ago

Lovely space! Check out our collection :)

• Dalius Duncia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Living Room/Sun Room = 30 x 13.

• michael_kristen
    8 years ago
    I am no help but I love the room. How very charming and so many options!
    Dalius Duncia thanked michael_kristen
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

ok what about putting up a partial wall or barn doors to the front Im thinking this could be an amazing sun room library of sorts. and also give some definition to the space...and I also like the idea of adding open shelves to the walls... to give the height.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

oh open shelving between the two spaces.......

• PRO
    RealCraft
    8 years ago

What a beautiful space!! The first thing I would recommend is removing the black curtain that is currently dividing up space. Because the room is so narrow and rectangular, I would suggest keeping the floor plan as open as possible. If you decide to break up the space, suspending salvaged glass windows from the ceiling will act as a visual barrier without leaving the room feeling clausterphobic. Clear, leaded glass or stained glass windows would look gorgeous and coordinate with the era of the building.

Shoji screens or salvaged doors linked together with vintage hinges would be another way to break up the room visually. Because this space is loft-like, contemporary artwork with an industrial edge would work well on the brick wall closest to the track lighting. Pointing some of the track lighting will highlight the art and serve as a focal point of the room. We hope these ideas are helpful. Have fun and good luck!

• Dalius Duncia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for your comments! Those ideas are very helpful. Flair lightng, wall bookshelves sound great. Real Sliding Hardware, suspended salvaged glass windows from the ceiling as a room divider is also great. Putting a partial wall or barn walls could make the living room very dark as there are no other windows except the ones in the sun room. I will try to installing sky lights but that's a future project. Thanks again for all ideas!

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

13' x 30 is a great space. To stop it from feeling like a bowling alley, I have some furniture and placement ideas that will help you enjoy it. If you entertain a larger group from time to time, it is worth it to get two comfortable tall armchair barstools.

A round table with comfortable armchairs is going to be the most versatile and is a great option centered on the sofa side of the room as the first thing you encounter. You may want to run surface romex after you get the furniture laid out, so that you can drop a cool fixture over this table. 90% of the time, this will operate as your library or entry table, where you drop mail and stack books or other items that need to come and go with you. You might look for a 56" pedestal table - I like the washed oak or driftwood finishes for your brick and cherry space - but black would be handsome too.

Next - place a sofa with its back to that table - this is the main thing that will help your room not feel like a bowling alley. It should be about 7'-8 in length, where you can walk into the room on both sides of it. You need a sofa table behind - ideally not the same kind of wood or finish as the dining table - metal frame and wood top to sort of echo the cherry in the kitchen would be great.

Your lounge area wants to have great architectural pieces - it will be the focal point of your room. Two eames chairs in black and plywood with the ottomans (knockoffs are ok) are worth the splurge for that space - angled diagonally facing back into the room. A solid end table between them and two floor lamps - cost plus world market has some neat industrial rustic ones that would be great with edison bulbs.

With 30, you will need about 8' for the table and corridors to the sofa table. The drywall area left is about 13' square - center the television in that area - on a swing arm so you can swivel it towards the lounge or the kitchen. A long low storage piece underneath for components - longer than the largest television you desire.

Opposite the tv wall is the place for your best piece of large abstract art, over a narrow banquette bench about 6' long - no end arms.. ballard sells them upholstered in your choice of fabric. Go for the most sleek and minimalist one - this will be much more useful than the bench and terribly versatile - later you can use it with the dining table when you are ready to move things around.

Finally - where the room is wider than the lounge, to help balance the visual weight of the tv up higher - a tall open bookcase for books, objects, sculpture.

Dalius Duncia thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    A-1 Builders and Adaptations Design Studio
    8 years ago

When you have a big undefined space, it is really important to define it! This is essentially one long space that you want to divide into 3 different areas. Since you aren't keen to place your dining area in the window area it would make the most sense for you to go kitchen -dining area- living area - sitting area. You wouldn't even need stools (if you do, choose minimal presence ones) at the bar because you will have a dining area behind it. Find a dining room table with a little more presence, whether its fun or tall, maybe a bistro height table. Draw attention to it to make it known, but its small beans in terms of the other spaces. I would choose a U shaped sectional with modern styling. You want to create some dimension. Taller table, shorter sectional seating, cushier chairs. the U shape creates boundaries on either side that define your new "living room", you can add a rug, a coffee table within the confines of the U, the TV will be opposite on the wall and the pathway to get to the next space is clear and in front of the coffee table. I will try to quickly sketch this out! You could always go with an L shaped couch with a chair, but if you would like a nice lounge area next to it, i would save the smaller furniture for that area and you would most likely still be able to see the tv if you had a full house. If you go arm chairs in living area and arm chairs in window area you would almost give a coffee house type feel which tends to feel a little cluttered in a residential space. There isnt a lot of space here either so having these different places to sit at different levels would allow people to openly communicate from one end of the room to the other. It would also show that it is a multi use space.

Hope this helps!

- Tristen

Dalius Duncia thanked A-1 Builders and Adaptations Design Studio