0

Kitchen updating.. espresso cabinet color?

lemulligan2208

We are planning to paint our kitchen cabinets a dark brown/espresso before we install some beautiful white granite countertops (with or without dark streaks) as seen in the pictures below. We will be doing a lighter tile at some point for the floors. My question(s) is/are, does anyone know a perfect espresso color to use for the cabinets? We are doing this ourselves.

Also, does anyone to happen a know a white granite that will be less streaky? I think it will look better with less dark in the granite (as seen in the second picture that has quite a bit of dark). Let me know what you guys think! We are picking out our granite slab this weekend.

A picture of our kitchen currently is below the other two, we just painted the walls in Accessible Beige.

• lemulligan2208

And actually, if anyone thinks that we shouldn't go with Espresso... please let me know what might be better!

• hayleydaniels

The thing about going with Espresso or any other very dark color is that it's going to make the room darker. You'll be spending the next 15 years trying to get more light into the room.

Look carefully at how many lights are on in that top picture. I see 6 can lights, two hanging lights and under cabinet lighting for on each upper cabinets. Do you want to have to have that many lights on to be able to see in there?

Also, keep in mind that painting your cabinets is a lot of very hard work, and if you aren't avid DIYers, you're going to find it very frustrating to say the least. To do a good job you need to take the cabinets down, and I can tell you from personal experience, hanging cabinets is no picnic! If you really want them painted, hire it done so you get a high quality finish.

I think your cabinets are fine, and if you redid the floor, countertop and backsplash, your kitchen would look great.

Seaside Construction - Custom Home Builder

I agree with hayleydaniels about how dark it will make your closed in kitchen, which is the other difference between your kitchen and the pictures you show. The other kitchens are open concept, which will pull light from other rooms. I also agree that replacing the floor, countertops and added a fresh coat of paint would make a world of difference in your kitchen.

• sandradclark

I agree with Hayley. If you will have room to extend the island top toward the wall to use for stools (also need more space for cooktop area. I would go with a butcher block for the island and use white quartz for the rest of the counters. Remove the wallpaper border & be sure to install under cabinet LED lighting, a small pendant over the sink which will match two hanging pendants over the island. With the added light & the brighter counters you will be pleased at how new & bright the kitchen will look. Do not add the upper ledge of counter top to the walls so you will be able to easily install some light porcelain subway tiles for a backsplash.

Cindy Sherman, AKBD
    ... and yet no one has mentioned that you don't paint them Espresso -- you stain them Espresso. Doing the floor at a later date is a little backwards from the usual flow that this project is done. Think Bottom up -- floors, cabinets, countertops/sinks/faucets/appliances, backsplash.
  • lemulligan2208

Thanks for all of the comments, everyone. Guess I might need to start reconsidering this one. Do you think with adequate lighting that it might still be okay? The boyfriend and I aren't much for the cabinets as is, I think we would both like something a little snazzier, like espresso, white, taupe, I don't know.. pretty much anything except for how it is now? I think the only way we would like it by leaving the cabinets how they are, is if we replaced the countertops with black granite. We are going for a very "luxurious" feel, but within reason. Again, thanks for all of the input—very helpful!

• Karen D

Agree with the others that expresso cabinets are going to make your kitchen feel dark. If you want to make a change, I would consider painting your cabinets white and changing the hardware. Look how bright and spacious the light colored cabinets make this very small kitchen feel! If you really like expresso, maybe you could replace the floors with expresso wood floors. They are also making porcelain tiles that looks like wood...really pretty.

Hicks Street Townhouse, Brooklyn Heights, NYC · More Info

• acm

If you're not replacing the cabinets (which you're not), then I agree there's much to be said for transforming them in some way. It looks like you're going to have beautiful stone counters, so I think I'd *paint* the cabinets (not stain them) a rich shade of gray that would work with your chosen stone and other finishes. Keeps the approximate lightness of the current kitchen while updating it a --- throw in all new pulls (nickel, to go with your new color scheme), and it will feel like a whole new place! (If you want a bit of glam, think about changes to your lighting that put more task lighting over the counters and then hang something really luxe over the island.)

• acm

A few thoughts:

Keller Homes · More Info

Custom Home-Atlanta · More Info
    Full Home Remodel: Fifty Shades of Gray · More Info

Wild Dunes · More Info