Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suhaib_ccs

Need help extending the side fence, hedges.

Kaka Manna
8 years ago

I have a lot of space to the side of my house which I wish to utilize. The only problem that I have is my neighbor, who is very nice, house which may get reduced visibility if I extend the fence along (A, 21 feet). Currently I have planted waxleaf hedges. the hedge plants are about 2 feet high and I am hoping to raise these to 4 feet) along side E (31 feet). I plan to cut concrete along B and plant hedge, and wish to do the same along side A but this will block neighbor view, see the blue line revealing the direction of the neighbor house.

Eventually, I want to move the fence about 10 to 12 feet outwards. The fence will sit behind the hedges. This will allow me more space as part of back yard. The bold pink lines form the expected fence. The hedges will be outside this fence.

Any good suggestions will be deeply appreciated. Zone. 10 b.

Comments (7)

• derk5
    8 years ago

Check local ordinances regarding setbacks for fencing around corner lots. Are there similar fences on corner lots in your neighborhood? Be sure to let your neighbor know of your plans in advance. If your fence will be blocking a lovely scenic view, your neighbor will likely be very unhappy.

• Kaka Manna
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    majority of the houses here have extended the fence. at the moment i will attempt to grow hedge which is acceptabke to my neighbor. i thinm that if i grow hedge such that it keeps neighbor view intact. if you see in the picture. i left decent space between the neighbor boundary and hedge line. since any work will require breaking concrete so its best if i get the plan right
  • jck910
    8 years ago

Maybe a lower fence? then it wouldn't block neighbor's view

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

from this photo your neighbors windows will still be looking over your fence. i dont see it as any worse than how it is now. the property slopes, not rises, the fence will slope down with it.

you are very kind to be this thoughtful but i really dont see it as a huge problem. if you have the fence at an angle it cedes visual property to your neighbor that you are paying taxes on. i'm sure they would be delighted at that.

that said, a case could be made for doing the "pink angle" simply because then you could plant a tree in your lawned corner, outside the fence, that might be useful to you and would enhance the view of your yard from the street.

• Kaka Manna
    Original Author
    8 years ago

nnighrt

Many thanks for your good advice. I like the idea to plant something on the corner outside the proposed fence. What would be ideal. Since the wind direction is towards east, any falling leaves will go straight to my neighbour front. I will prefer a plant/small tree which should not create a mess. especially during fall/winter. The reason of this pink angle is because the planned fence will be parallel to neighbour line of sight.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

yes i understood, its a good plan whichever way you do it.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

adding: it would still behoove you prehaps to plant a small row of something on your lot line, showing it really is all yours, and so your nice neighbor doesnt start to take it over.

story: we used to live in a house with half acre zoning, 4 houses per block, everyone had a wooded strip between them, so the woods was basically shaped like a plus sign on each block. our side neighbors had a pool, and had cut down all of the trees on their property. to just casually look at our 2 houses side by side most would assume that the remaining trees were half theirs and half ours, really they were all ours. when our house went on the market we put in new stakes with pink flags on the actual lot line so potential buyers could see all they were getting.