Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pato1414

Question about updating kitchen

pato1414
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm tired of this black granite tile. I used it because of the price. What should I do to improve the kitchen. I'm thinking of lighter granite and reducing the bar to counter height to open up the room more. By the way, this is a beach house. The bright apple green is throughout the living area. The furniture is mostly white cushioned except the dining table is similar to cabinet colors.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Drawer Essentials
    8 years ago
    I would try painting the kitchen a softer color and maybe changing the hardware to brushed nickel first.
  • claudette2402
    8 years ago

I agree, the wall color is somewhat overpowering. A lighter, softer paint color will make a big difference. Also, why do you have a table lamp on your island. If lighting is a problem, perhaps consider changes or additions to lighting. It appears you have recessed lights, but they are no on. Perhaps install a dimmer for the recessed lights and change bulbs to led or halogen.

• PRO
    Purewal Contractors, Inc
    8 years ago

I would first trying changing the wall color to a gray or better color to off white, if that does not go in with the granite or cabinets, then try to change the backsplash. the estimation of painting your kitchen would be $2500 that includes paint, painting materials and also covering area's such as your cabinets. the estimation is depending what color you choose and how many times to paint, my estimate just shows two primer coats and paint

• km kane
    8 years ago
    If someone tells you to paint those walls grey I'm gonna scream!!

I don't think i'd bother taking the counter top off, it's fine! If anything, think about changing out the dark backsplash to something lighter and more beach-like (whatever that means ;) though backsplash work could be tough too. (Subway tile, beadboard?)

But I agree the wall color is a bit overpowering, though I like apple green. I'm loving blue these days, light periwinkle blue, sky blue, blue with a hint of grey... (It's beach-like, too, and goes well with your cabinets.

I don't know why the other poster thinks recessed lighting is a no-no. It's pretty standard in kitchens these days. That's a an odd one.

Would you consider painting your window trim an off-white or cream? It might break up the solid dark color of the cabinets and brighten up the space a bit.... (BTW, good on ya for not having window coverings!!!!) Also maybe paint the back of the glass-front cabinets an off-white/cream

Oh, and the chairs are the same color as the cabinets, maybe if they were an off-white or cream to match the window trim and back of cabinets that would also lighten the space.

Lemme look around house for ideas and I'll post some photos. Nice place you have there!
  • km kane
    8 years ago
    Of wait, Claudette meant the recessed lights were "not on." Sorry about that!
  • pato1414
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you all for the comments. Lots of new ideas.

Lighting is not the problem.

The lamp and everything else on the island is temporary. I change it all out when the mood strikes. The lamp dates from original interior look which was sort of Tommy Bahama. But that never felt like home, so when we retired we brought in white sofas and shades of blue and soft beachy colors. The lamp survived the cull because none of my kids would take it. It's too darn big and heavy.

No one mentioned the fact that the granite tile looks like the step child of real granite. That's what really bothers me.
  • buddysgal
    8 years ago

Wow. What a beautiful kitchen, but it doesn't read beach house to me. Before I would remove expensive granite counter tops, I either paint those cupboards, or replace the doors with white ones, as they appear dark and heavy. The backsplash would be nice if it were lighter also, maybe with some black in the tile. I would then change the wall color to something that feels be achy, a light sand color or sky blue. Some yellow accents placemats etc. would be nice. The floor appears beige, that works. I would remove the lamps, they don't look right in a kitchen, not my taste anyway. Good luck

• Peggy Hicks
    8 years ago
    I couldn't tell it was granite tile until you pointed it out--but I don't like it either! If you can afford it, white Quartz or granite would certainly lighten the space, and then you could tweak wall colors , etc.
  • Laura Schwartz
    8 years ago

For a beach house look I'd paint the cabinets white, and then use a sandy colored granite or white quartz or marble counters.

• PRO
    Showcase Kitchens
    8 years ago

When you say beach house I think of soft blues, greens, and all around light colors. Maybe you can paint the walls a baby/turquoise blue. Also, consider maybe painting the cabinets a light color as well. I would also consider a lighter backsplash --- there is just too much going on right now!

Good luck! :)

• Anthony Vincent
    8 years ago
    keep the granite. ..unless you think you can sell it. its expensive! everything else could use a bit of brightening up and modernizing. start with cabinet doors, floors and wall color and go from there. good luck!
  • PRO
    Drawer Essentials
    8 years ago

I think the granite looks fine. Here's some color ideas-

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info

Seapearl OC-19 Paint · More Info

sea foam 2123-60 Paint - Benjamin Moore · More Info

• User
    8 years ago
    I like all the above comments. How about switching pendant lamps to a completely different design to go with your beach theme?
  • km kane
    8 years ago

Pato1414, don't you just hate that when you ask for one thing and you get 1435 suggestions for something else ;) ? You never asked for a beach theme, or a wall color change, or lighting, and here we are redesigning your kitchen, But to be fair, we can't actually see the tile countertops, so from the pictures, they look OK.

When you change to a solid surface top, go for a light color, say creamy to taupe - that would look good with your wood cabinets and offset the lovely color they are. There are many many options - granite, quartz, Corian, Silestone, and so many new products! I had granite, but frankly, I think it's over rated.... In my new build, I'm looking for somethIng less fussy.

And do change the backsplash, it's dark too. Those two changes would make a big difference.