Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia_loeb

Site finished engineered wood?

Julia Loeb
8 years ago
I am redoing my kitchen which is three steps up from an open family room. I was thinking about hardwood in the kitchen, but the family room would have to be engineered wood since it is on concrete slab. Could I get unfinished engineered wood for the family room so I could match the stain in the kitchen? I am opening a wall on the other side of the kitchen to another room which already has white oak flooring so I would not want to replace that entire level with engineered wood.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    8 years ago
    Take a look at Junckers wood flooring www.junckers.com. Designed to float over concrete floors with a proprietary clip system and available in a variety of solid hardwood strips. Finished in place just like nailed down flooring. Please research moisture issues in concrete floors and wait at least a couple of months for any new concrete to cure and dry out before acclimating wood flooring in the space.
  • Julia Loeb
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you. We currently have engineered flooring on the cement, but it can't be refinished. I think it is glued down. Will it damage the concrete when we take it up. Why would we need fresh concrete?
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    8 years ago
    The age of your concrete was not mentioned in your post, so I erred on the side of caution and added something about dryness. I still recommend a moisture test of the existing slab prior to putting down any type of wood flooring. We typically use duct tape to adhere a 2'X 2' piece of visqueen to the surface then watch it for a week. Any condensation calls for a top coat of Xypex prior to installation.
  • Julia Loeb
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok. Not sure what all that means. I guess I have some research to do. I know there there are moisture barriers you can lay down before the flooring.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    8 years ago
    Visqueen is a proprietary name for polyethylene sheeting. I recommend 4mil thickness at a minimum for the test. Xypex is a paint on water proofing. Seamless.
  • Julia Loeb
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you. I'm learning so much through this whole process. Can the engineered wood be oil finished? Is that more for the look or the durability instead of using water based polyurethane?
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    8 years ago
    The Junckers flooring is solid wood, so it can be sanded and finished however you want. Oiled finishes are "living" finishes. That means they change over time and can "patinate". Less durable than urethane or polyurethane finishes. Look at Rubio Monocoat for a hybrid that is easy to use and penetrates like oil but offers some of the protective qualities of a topcoat of modern chemistry. Oiled finishes, old-timey stuff, usually require some sort of treatment. I spent hours on my knees as a kid, waxing and polishing my Mom's hardwood floors. Hand rubbed finishes! Happy Mother's Day.