Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

Re-doing border garden & would love ANY info on these roses.

KnoxRose z7
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all! I am in the middle of re-designing my front yard & side yard border gardens, the front border gets full sun almost all day & it frames my front porch & it really has the star spot in my yard, so the preassure is on to choose roses that will be the pick of the litter in terms of health and re-bloom & heat tolerance. The side border gets a lot of attention too, but not quite as much as the front, it also gets some afternoon shade.

I already had a decent potted rose collection to choose from, but Spring Rose Madness (anyone else get that?) has led me to purchase a lot of new roses over the past couple of months. Although I have heard good things about all of them, I'm not sure how they compare to eachother in terms of overall health, size, needed sun exposure, and rebloom capabilities.

I live in hot & humid east Tennessee & my biggest garden woe is blackspot, which I know is inevitable since I don't spray, but I am hoping to be able to figure out which of these is least likely to defoliate completely by late summer. I tried to choose varieties that had a reputation for being blackspot resistant, but even within that there will always be ones that are the standouts.

I am also really looking for any input on growth habit or final size of these roses, as I would eventually like to have a staggered boarder with taller roses in the back and shorter in the front. Since these will be a fairly compact beds, I probably can't have any shrubs that are extremely wide in this location, taller shrubs are ok because I can put them in the back, and even support them if need be, but extemely wide shrubs would take up too much real estate here, at least if I stick to my current plan.

I know, it sounds like I'm asking for the moon here.... I'm just hoping I get this right the first time so I don't have to move them all around (again).

I have a few Tea roses in there, but since I have never even seen a mature Tea rose in person in my climate or in any climate really, I really don't know what to expect their final size to be like in my garden, I'm thinking that they may grow to be too wide? Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I will probably only be choosing a few out of each color family, because I know several of these are similar in color/look, & I don't have space for them all, the rest will be pot-pets for the time being. Most of these are of the lighter color family (yellow, coral, white, soft pink) there are only two reds in there, since the foundation of my house is dark red, I don't want too many dark red roses, they don't show up well against the color of my house, but I do think I need at least a couple.

Here is everyone up for consideration (these are all own root by the way):

• Dark Desire (I know nothing about this rose, I purchased it when Roses Unlimited suggested it to me, can it take all day sun? Anyone know about it's size?)
  • Darcy Bussell (new own root version, my grafted version is doing quite well in it's large pot on the partially shaded porch, how does own root compare to grafted)
  • Munstead Wood (another one that I have grafted that did well last year, not sure about the size of the own root version)
  • Barcelona (aka Francis Dubreil.. he did really well last year in the pot he is in, I'm almost afraid to move him, but because he has done so well I think he might have a guaranteed spot because I LOVE his blooms & want to see him prosper, just don't know about his final size, he would go on the side with afternoon shade so he can keep his rich dark color)
  • Irish Hope
  • Versigney
  • Well Being
  • Ambridge
  • Charity
  • Evelyn (I hear she gets really big for some folks)
  • Carding Mill (Another one I've had since last year & has done super well for me, probably going to get a good spot, just don't know the final size)
  • Rose Marie (do the blooms shatter quickly like Heritage? if so she may need to live in the backyard)
  • Lady Emma Hamilton (new own root version, had the grafted version last year & she did poorly)
  • Pope John Paul ll
  • Paloma Blanca
  • Blueberry Hill
  • Fair Bianca
  • Saint Patrick
  • Love Song
  • Polar Express
  • Madame Joseph Schartz (too wide?)
  • Duchesse de Brabant (too wide?)
  • Lady Hillingdon (too wide?)
  • Ducher (this rose did well last year then died suddenly, I'm going to try it again)
  • Lion's fairy tale
  • Sunbeam veranda
  • Sunsprite
  • Prarie Sunset

Thank you very much in advance for any details you can provide on any of these roses!

- Jessica

Comments (6)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    8 years ago

Lions FT stays pretty clean here without treatment. Lady Emma will defoliate. I get mixed reports on PJP II, it spots but doesn't totally defoliate.

My cleanest roses without fungicides are Blushing Knock Out and Caramel Fairy Tale. Baby Faraux and White Pet do ok until late summer.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

I can comment on how two of them--Munstead Wood and Well Being-- peform in my region, but can't say about your region.

Both of these roses are good on bs resistance (in my region), perhaps Munstead being slightly better than Well Being.

Both a beautiful--MW a dark rich magenta/ruby shade of "velvet"--WB a mostly yellow, with some touches of apricot around the edges at times, especially when the blooms first open. The buds will be quite apricot/red in contrast to the golden yellow blooms.

Like most roses, they both slow down a bit on the re-bloom when it gets really hot out there, but other than that, they are pretty "normal" in terms of re-bloom.

They are both wonderful roses. Hope my comments help you out.

Kate

• michaelg
    8 years ago

Irish Hope was resistant for several years and then not, so it depends on the races of BS that you have. Ditto for Sunsprite. Irish Hope is very tall by late season but not wide, say 28". Sunsprite was 3x2.

Barcelona 6x3 and cane hardy. I assumed it was not resistant and always sprayed it.

Blueberry Hill is vigorous and 4x3.. It and Irish Hope needed severe pruning after the last two hard winters.Not resistant.

Prairie Sunset is resistant and very hardy. Has a spreading, slightly arching habit around 5x4.

Fair Bianca was small, feeble, and not resistant.

I have Carding Mill and Munstead own root but not mature enough for comment.

KnoxRose z7 thanked michaelg
  • fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

I can only offer experience from hot and dry zone 10 so it may not necessarily apply to you....

Evelyn for me is extremely tall and wide - 3 metre wide and 2 metre tall so definitely for back of border. These are great for cut flowers.

PJP is normal HT size. Dense growth and lots of flowers all the time. Very quick repeat and opens slowly - good for a position where you can see and smell all the time - unless you want to cut them. They do make great cut roses too.

Duchesse de Brabant - typical tea growth, will grow to 2 metres wide and shorter. It has a tendency to spread sideways rather than up. I put mine at the edge of a raised bed and the canes and flowers arch downwards gracefully and is always covered in blooms.

Munstead Wood stayed small for the first 6 months and then started shooting 2 metre tall Octopus canes which I hacked back to 2 feet. Nice old rose fragrance. Very very thorny so not too close to the footpath...

Sunsprite is always short. I prefer this grown as a standard so that you don't have to bend down to smell the flowers.

KnoxRose z7 thanked fragrancenutter
  • Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

I have many of those roses, but they are new for me, so I'll only talk about the ones I've had for awhile.

Duchesse d'Brabant can get wide, it is a tea, but not a gigantic one. It's a great rose except for the fact that the first flush often falls prey to thrips. Other than that, it's great, but maybe not for a narrow border.

Lady Hillingdon, on the other hand, has a narrow upright growth habit. It would be good in a border.

St. Patrick, I had this before and it did very well. I had it by my mailbox. It's a HT so can stay narrow. The blooms are beautiful. I lost mine a few years ago, but I did get a new one.

Fair Bianca, this is a small Austin, but with powerful blooms. Mine has been down to one cane since the horrible 2013/14 winter, but must have 30 blooms on it right now. It will stay low, about 2.5 feet and not that wide. Good for a front border.

I do spray, so I'm not sure about the BS resistance, I believe St. Patrick does not get that much for an HT. The teas get a bit, but are more resistant. Fair Bianca, I don't think is that bad. Believe it or not, I still get some BS on roses even with spraying so those are in the 'no disease resistance whatsover' category. None of these are.

KnoxRose z7 thanked Buford_NE_GA_7A