precisehomebuilders

Open Shelving or Traditional Cabinets?

Open Shelving
Traditional Cabinets

Comments (16)

• PRO
    City Cabinet Center
    8 years ago

It really depends on what you're storing and the frequency of use. Shelves can be a beautiful option for everyday plates, etc. They can visually open up a tight or dark space.

But, if you only want to store pretty things that you use very occasionally, be prepared to dust.

Precise Home Builders thanked City Cabinet Center
  • User
    8 years ago

Dust, cooking splatters, flying insects. Unless one lives in a sealed space or has live in help to daily clean, I can't see the practicality of open kitchen shelves.

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    6 years ago

Cabinets were created for a reason. They solve a lot of problems that open shelving had prior to cabinets. Problems like pet hair, dirt, insects, clutter, spiderwebs, cooking grease, falling dishes or supplies and on and on.

How much can you really store on an open shelf? Push it to the limit and stuff starts to fall off. I've seen this with friends who have open shelves. And washing ANYTHING you want to use from that shelf, every time you want to use it is a hassle. I have two big classic Pyrex bowls on top of my refrigerator - only as decor and occasional utilitarian use. I have to wash them any time I use them because, like it or not, our air has dust in it no matter how clean your air filtering system is. I also have a plate shelf above a buffet which is one of the dirtiest places in my home and it needs cleaning constantly. BTW, I don't have pets. I can only imagine how bad it would be if I did.

As far as structural, there is only on horizontal contact point to handle the weight vs. MANY contact points with a cabinet, plus the side contact points from one cabinet to the other.

It's a "cute" decorating trend that trendy interior decorators started pushing and it is now a trend. But I don't see it lasting for long. I won't ever recommend or install an open shelf again.

• PRO
    nune
    6 years ago

as long as you keep them simple + tidy, open shelves are a win!

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    6 years ago

If it's one or the other, then it must be cabinets. That said, open shelving has it's place (especially if you're tidy). In fact, my wife and I are currently in the process of replacing about 3 feet of cabinets next to our range with open shelving. It will look great design-wise, and be functional for quickly grabbing things while cooking.

• Margaret Schultz
    6 years ago

I was never really interested in open shelving *until I lived with it* ~ Then, when I moved, I insisted upon it. Once you get used to it, you'll never go back.

• Momof5x
    6 years ago

I love the look of the open shelving, although I have cabinets -but I think the inner darkness of cabinets attracts bugs more. It is sometimes dusty where I am, so plates and pots are probably better off inside. Depends of what your environment is like too.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

cabinets were invented to prevent rodents and houseflies from sitting on your food. crockery was sitting in the open in hutches or 'dressers'.

i have neither rodents nor houseflies sitting on my crockery.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Open shelving for a dramatic look, cabinets if you really like that kind of storage better. In the second picture, the cabinets look kind of monolithic, especially the wall with the ovens. The shorter cabinets above the sink won't give you much storage space. It also depends what your everyday china and glassware look like. You can't put your collection of random promotional mugs up there.

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    6 years ago

I'd say going by the votes, cabinets are preferred...but then, we all know where polls put us last November. :-)

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Why doesn't Houzz have a good laughing-your-head-off emoji?

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

as long as we dont have to repeal and replace any popcorn ceilings...

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    6 years ago

Eesh, it's been a while since I've even seen a popcorn ceiling!
    Oh the horror of it... who came up with that and why?

• Missy Bee
    6 years ago
    I like the open shelving better in your example but I need closed. I do have a bakers rack with my plates and bowls. Easy to set the table. Guests know where to find stuff. Kids can reach some of it..... But too much of my other stuff would look like odds and ends if stored on open shelving. Think very carefully about what stuff goes up on shelves and what goes low in cupboards.
  • cookic
    5 years ago

Margaret, I agree with you. These others must have never had open shelving to test their "theories" or have horribly bad living conditions. I don't have rodents and 1-2 houseflies a year. Love my open shelving for the everyday use. They are between two small cupboards and well anchored. I first had them in a rental and enjoyed them there. When remodeling this kitchen, went with the open shelving here. So much easier to reach things. In my case, I am short, so hung them lower, high enough to clear the tallest appliance, coffee pot. They're about 3-4" lower than standard, but not in your face like a cupboard would be.