Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weety

I need some serious help!

weety
8 years ago

Here is what I have to work with. I don't want to get rid of the leather sofa & loveseat since they have held up so well (almost 10 years with almost NO visible damage) with 3 kids and 4 dogs! But all my furniture is the same color! Coffee Table is too tall--thinking about maybe cutting off the legs? I have a light tan rug to put down, but it is still in storage right now. The bay window needs some kind of window treatment. I removed the floral valances that were up (you can still see a lot of the hardware that hasn't come down yet.) It looked too french country. I am looking for a more contemporary look. The honeycomb blinds are falling apart and will be replaced, maybe with wooden blinds or shutters. This is a small room, and opens up into the dining room/entry way that has a reddish spanish-looking tile, so I would like to keep that in mind when adding color. I love wrought iron for wall decor, but not with flair--more simple designs like in the tall lamp you see. (The antler lamp is going into my husband's "mancave.")

I'm feeling overwhelmed--not even sure where to begin! Please help! What needs to go? What needs to stay? Where do I start first?

The piles are curtains I bought and trying to decide. You can see the tile a bit in the side of the picture. It looks a little more red in person.

The portraits of the kids were painted by grandma so they need to stay. There is a 3rd one that you can't see.

right side view from entryway/front door where the tile begins. Picture above this one is the left side view of room.

Comments (343)

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Your wall color looks so much more defined and richer with the white shutters for contrast. Nice design statement!

weety thanked Susan Davis
  • weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The only problem with having the white shutters is that now all my woodwork looks cream. :(

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm gravitating to these more "industrial" looking lamps. Will they work? Any other suggestions? I'm open for all ideas and suggestions!

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

love the globe one, ill crop it in!

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

it might be a bit tall, what are the measurements?

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Lamps are so trial and error; they need to been tall and heavy enough to not get lost int he room. You have really big furniture and really big window treatments, so make sure the lamp is tall and heavy with design elements or volumn.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

soosun, you do not want it too tall, it has to be portioned to the table, and also to the eye that will sit under it, if its too tall the light bulb will be glaring in the corner of your eye. I think thats why I like the round it has bulk visually.

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The globe lamp is 26 inches tall.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

you should measure that out with something around the same size, bc i like that lamp

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I like the lamps too, just not sure if they will work in this room?

Can we see a straight on picture from floor to ceiling with the table next to the sofa and the lamp with the shutters behind it? I am wondering if the lamp will 'get lost' with all those horizontal lines. I would like to see a solid lamp too. Doesn't Groveraxle say that the combined lamp and table should be 56 - 64 inches tall? Should be perfect if it is within those parameter. I generally think most people have lamps that are too short for the table they are on. But if they are fat that makes up for it. haha!

• susan2494
    8 years ago

weety, When you sit on sofa or chair, the bottom of shade should be at eye level. Total height for lamp and table between 58-64" Shades are usually 50% height of lamp base. I think 26" is too short. Look for 29"-31". Do the sitting test with a lamp you already have.

• Taxi Cabaret
    8 years ago

Here's a spherical object like the lamp. I think it looks good.

The Converted Victorian Apartment · More Info

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The lamp was from overstock, but I just found the same one at kohls.com so I am going to buy it and return if needed. Kohls has a great return policy (and discounts) plus I'm there all the time anyways with 3 kids. :) Overstock is a little cheaper, but I'd rather not have to deal with mail return.

The only other lamp I have in the house is about 29 inches. I'll put that one out there later and snap a picture for size.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

yes try its the best way. I always give people a time frame to bring stuff back.

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's the lamp!

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I was thinking the table was shorter, but I think it is the camera angle; looks very nice in the room.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

oh its just great!!

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love it! Now I want to replace the floor lamp I have--I don't like them together, but maybe I don't even need a floor lamp at all. What do you think? Here is a picture of that area with the lamp again...

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Low floor lamp for reading.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

agreed.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

maybe a floor lamp with small table built in.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Low floor lamp for reading.

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Any pictures or ideas of what to look for? I'm assuming it needs a beige shade and bronze metal since the table lamp has beige and bronze.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

houzzed some floor lamps and table lamps for ideas under Houzz oil rubbed bronze floor lamp and ofb table lamps but then thought the table lamp is taken care of withthe one us bought!

1 Light Standard Bulb Reading Lamp in Madison Bronze · More Info

Adesso Director Floor Lamp · More Info

Stratton Floor Lamp · More Info

Adesso Rodeo Antique Bronze Floor Lamp · More Info

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like the last one the best. Maybe the tripod one, but not with a black shade.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

no to the tripod.

i also like the last one.

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kenroy KR-20123ORB Hydra Transitional Floor Lamp · More Info

Kenroy KR-32263ORB Foster Floor Lamp · More Info

Kenroy 32103ORB Ringo Contemporary Floor Lamp · More Info

Quoizel Lighting Quoizel Floor Lamp in Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish · More Info
    Any of these??? I would have to change out the shades to beige/burlap color.

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pacific Coast Ellerby Floor Lamp · More Info
    What about something like this???

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Adesso Rodeo Transitional Floor Lamp X-62-9433 · More Info
    And I still like this one from Soosun found.

• ceylon777
    8 years ago

Weety, your shutters are wonderful! You don't even need curtains now.

Like the globe lamp a lot, too.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Adesso Rodeo Floor Lamp has a good price too! Looked for low prices always!

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

i thought the table and lamp combo might fill a void at the end of the couch. i lilke both of the last too. how tall are they.. measure that to the wall for scale.

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Soosun's lamp is 61" and the lamp with the attached table is 65". I will have to compare these heights to the one I have there to see how they fit.

I also found this one when I was at target tonight.
  • weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The target lamp is 61.5" tall.
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Target lamp might come in pieces that screw together but they have nice price points.

Houzz lamps might be all in one tubular piece....I just wonder which on will be straighter.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

they will all need assembled.

unless you buy it off the floor at target.

either way i suggest lock tight the areas that screw together with red lock tight. (available at hardware stores)

tape out in blue tape where that will sit on the wall for an idea.

how large are the shades?

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't have blue tape so I had to get a little creative. I labeled on my current lamp where the other lamps go to. Top label is the the lamp/table combo. Bottom label is the Soosun lamp and Target lamp (1/2 inch taller). The top of the labels are about 1 inch higher than the correct height--I lined up the arrows on the paper with the correct height but you can't really see the arrows in the picture, so you will have to realize the true height is about 1 inch below the top of each label.

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

As for shade sizes, here are the measurements:

Target Lamp said 11 inches wide and 11 "deep but I'm not sure if that is just the shade or the whole piece including the part that hangs outward.

Soosun Lamp Shade: 7" Height, 17" Bottom diameter, 11.5" Top diameter

Table/Lamp Combo is :Shade Dimension: 15 Top x 17 Bottom x 13 H

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

ok take the glass shade off the lamp you have now. there is a ring on the inside around the bulb that screws off. and take out the bulb.

take a lamp shade off something else and set it on top of the lamp you have. should give a rough idea of what the shade will take up space wise I like the idea of a little shorter.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

its just the shade... the finial is in the oah.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

i think i like the target and the one with the table now that i have cropped them in.

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I also found this little bronze wire organizer that I liked maybe in front of the lamp? Will it work or am I getting too much wire now?

• Rack measures 17L x 16.5W x 44H in.

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Target lamp would be easy to return since I go there every couple of days (lol) so maybe it might be worth buying it and trying it out. The combo lamp is from Houzz so not sure how the returns work. I'm on my way out right now but will try putting a lamp shade on my current lamp later tonight when I get home.

BTW, the prices are very different, but I don't want that to be the reason to pick one over the other. One is $50 and one is almost $300... but it does include a table to help fill the space, so that needs to be taken into consideration as well. I'm willing to splurge if that's the one that looks the best. The wire organizer rack is $79 from Kirklands.

• nmh92
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I can't see shades of color very well on my computer screen, but it sounds like way too much dreary brown. To keep the sofa, change the paint color to a light greige. It takes you into the gray trend, away from the Tuscan brown trend, but can match the furniture.

All shades of blue and aqua look great against brown and pick one other bright color so you have three in the room, but use one of the brights more than the other. Replace the mirror over the couch (it is too small) and get a big piece of canvas art and pull colors from that. How about shutters for the windows or floor length panels in one of your new happy colors?

Iron may look good since you already have the spanish tiles that you can see from this room. I agree, nothing with too many scrolls.

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is my current lamp with a borrowed lamp shade.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

wow that actually looks cute lol. maybe stand up rather than arc over is the way to go?

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

ok gotta ask who uses the pull up bar...........?

• weety
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ahhh...the pull up bar! My daughter is a gymnast :) It brings up lots of interesting situations--most of them involve my 14 year old son's friends coming over and "trying" to outdo my 11 year old daughter! LOL

I'm thinking maybe it might be best to splurge and get the lamp/table combo. Then the area will be complete??? What do you think? It's a little bit shorter than the pic above.I'm guessing it will end up centered between the 2 portraits. Otherwise, I still think I need to find something to go in that corner. Thoughts?

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

yes I agree! i like the table lamp idea the best... maybe a magazine rack or a basket.

• columbia93
    8 years ago

Hi, hadn't checked in on you for a while and you've done so much!

First, the shutters are really nice. Like others have said, wait until the room is done and then decide re: curtains. You might decide no curtains or you might find the shutters alone are too harsh for your comfy setting - swaths of immoveable, and NEUTRAL, fabric just at the edges would likely suffice - but that can wait.

Lighting....hummmm... have to admit that the lamp and tiny table are adorable and would be a good fit for the area but can also see the difference between $50 & $300, too! Question: the table looks too small to really put anything on it. What's your take? Also, since the lamp looks centered (versus offset), will there be room to add the table without rearranging the loveseat and/or pictures?

BTW, I was a gymnast many moons ago so I know of what you speak regarding your daughter. I don't think many people know just how physically fit a gymnast is compared to, say, a football player! That said, the lamp you've chosen looks like it could take a few knocks, important with it being so near that doorway. :)

Great job!

weety thanked columbia93