Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lnardi81

Very first remodel - any advice appreciated!

Laura
8 years ago
Hi! We are completely renovating our very first home - an adorable lake cottage we just bought and renovated completely (new electric, plumbing, roof, joists, walls). Pretty much only the bones and foundation are original. My true passion is home design and this is my very first project. It just happens to be one of the biggest and most important! I'm designing the whole house myself so any advice from this forum is more than appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

The kitchen will be all white (cabinets pictured) with Italian slate tile and white veins. The tile is in the kitchen and dining room. The countertops are white quartz with grey veins. The flooring thought the rest of the house is wood. I'll be staining it a very light brown (was going to stain dark but changed my mind). The house is very small (1,000 sq.ft) so I'm trying to do my best first time around. I will be posting more of the house in new discussions where I can post more pictures.

The house is open concept and the color I would like throughout the living room/dining room is "Ewing Blue" by Benjamin Moore. It's the horizontal paint color on the bottom of the first picture.

Question: I would like "Ewing Blue" the kitchen, flowing into dining room ( pic 2), as well as in the living room ( pic 3). I was thinking of painting the dining room a different color, but am still on the fence. The problem is I have this gorgeous table from the 1950s from my grandmother re-stained/painted (pic 4) and am concerned it might not look right with the paint color. The table top is a dark stain.

Pic 1: colors - bottom horizontal color - "Ewing Blue" Benjamin Moore.
Pic 2: galley kitchen opens to dining room (this was a screened in porch that we enclosed as part of the house)
Pic 3: living room with view of kitchen and part of dining room

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Comments (30)

• Lindsay K
    8 years ago

I think the Ewing Blue will look fine with that color table. Does it have a little of a gold tone? The Ewing Blue looks a little Aqua-ish, and I like the Aqua/gold combination usually.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

it might be nice to have warm color with the dining table & chairs as they are a cold silver. I like the color that is the 2nd from the left. I can't tell you how pleased I am that you are going with a light floor color. You will not regret it. Oh, your project sounds like it is so much fun.

• PRO
    Design SI
    8 years ago

Like your choice of colors...An effective ways to use color is to play up architectural features. For a subtle emphasis we suggest painting molding or doorways just one step lighter or darker than the primary wall. For a bolder approach, try using two different colors in the same room. We also suggest doing tests of your final selections in larger areas, in various rooms, due to lighting conditions varying from room to room. great article here: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,1125002,00.html

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

I should not give advice on color as my PC does not show me the true colors. What material is the dining set?

• columbia93
    8 years ago

When you think you've narrowed your choices, consider painting posterboard and moving it throughout the room.

Dining room - one thing to consider is it has a lot of natural light that takes on blue tones and it looks like you've got yellow light in the kitchen area. Your current choice would likely tend toward teal in the kitchen area and a cool blue in that dining room. Because of that, I think I'd consider looking at warmer tones for the dining room to compensate. Keep in mind that this is a large window you'll want to look out while in the kit so don't get a color that detracts from the view. I'm not sure the purple would be a good choice - I've got a darker plummy color in my BR but I'm not concerned with the view! The teal that is next to the purple might be a good idea - warmer tone plus the blue/green of the outdoors.

• PRO
    Ellen Kryger Interiors
    8 years ago
    First and foremost, where is the photo of the slate tile that you are coordinating the paint to? Without that we cannot match correctly.
  • Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Kitchen tiles
  • Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Design SI. Thank you so much for this advice. There is a beam in between the kitchen and dining room. Do you see where I'm talking about? Which blue do you think would go better with the "Ewing Blue" from the ones I have on the wall? The one all the way to the left or the third one in? Also what if I painted the beam one of those blues and kept that flowing into the dining room? Thanks for the article!
  • Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @tken34, thanks for the advice! I'm looking at the blue with the table and you're right. It looks great bc of the gold undertone
  • potchiemagoodleberry
    8 years ago

I will share with you what I learned when painting my kitchen a soft blue: the grayer the shade, the better it will look. i actually used california paints "tudor ice" which is very similar to ben moore's "woodlawn blue". if it doesn't have enough gray in the base, the blue can become overwhelming and it can so easily turn itself into baby boy nursery blue. i had to sample dozens of colors to get the right shade. and if you want to use another paint in the adjacent space, you can go about 2 shades darker from the same color strip or go with a neutral color, provided that the other color has the same value of gray in it....my LR is open to my blue kitchen and has an architectural break between the 2 spaces, so i used a light taupe ben moore's "cape hatteras sand" in the LR and they flow really, really well because of their similar tones. be sure to use some of the kitchen's blue in the DR and some of the DR wall color in the kitchen to create flow. i hope all of that makes sense.

• Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    columbia93
    12:03 AM
    When you think you've narrowed your choices, consider painting posterboard and moving it throughout the room.
    Dining room - one thing to consider is it has a lot of natural light that takes on blue tones and it looks like you've got yellow light in the kitchen area. Your current choice would likely tend toward teal in the kitchen area and a cool blue in that dining room. Because of that, I think I'd consider looking at warmer tones for the dining room to compensate. Keep in mind that this is a large window you'll want to look out while in the kit so don't get a color that detracts from the view. I'm not sure the purple would be a good choice - I've got a darker plummy color in my BR but I'm not concerned with the view! The teal that is next to the purple might be a good idea - warmer tone plus the blue/green of the outdoors.

Hi @Columbia93! Thank you very much for taking the time out to respond. I actually just bought some poster board so that I can see the colors in diff lighting. I love your idea. I was thinking Ewing blue in living room/kitchen, the painting the beam the blue that's next to the purple that you suggested and continuing that color into the dining room. Also I have this beautiful plum color for my bedroom but my bedroom isn't huge...what do you think? Pics attached.
  • Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @potchiemagoddleberry, yes it makes complete sense. I wanted grey throughout the house with blue/green undertones, but this is round 1 of samples, so I gave these a shot first. I have a few greys picked out so I'll take a look and see if it happens to be the equivalent of what you used. I just want to make sure the color is not too industrial. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!
  • Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @columbia93,please excuse the copy/paste of your post. I copied it into my message box when I was writing to you so I could look as I responded and forgot to erase it. Just scroll down half way and you'll see my reply. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Ellen Kryger Interiors
    8 years ago
    Laura, congratulations on your first home. My advice to you would be the same procedure that I follow when designing and specifying color. Match your furnishings, fabrics, tile, etc to paint. There are thousand of colors and each color choice builds on your next.

I understand you are looking for a color direction. Consider this....in the end you might have to repaint because it doesn't look right.

In my opinion, I would go with Bone Black CW 715 for your kitchen and add the color of your choice with accessories. You've made excellent choices for the kitchen.

In your dining room, I would look at Benjamin Moore Color Stories which is full spectrum formulas, no grays or blacks added...full color. They DO change color depending on exposure, exterior and interior reflections. I would look at Color Breeze CSP-665. Color boards are a must.

Hope this gives you some insight. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • leelee
    8 years ago

If it's not too late keep hardwood floors throughout the house. With such a small place you don't want to chop up the floor esp in open concept. Look at Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams.

• Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi leelee...thank you! We already laid the tiles in the kitchen/dining. Everywhere else is hardwood. (Except bathroom, of course).
  • Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi ekinteriors. We are very excited. Our daughter is almost 2, so she is obviously my inspiration! I am so thankful for all of the great people on HOUZZ that take the time out to read my posts and advise me. It also gives me great pleasure to know that experts like yourself confirm my choices. It has been my dream to be a designer, but my career didn't follow that road, so this is my chance to live that dream. So really, thank you!

The Bone Black and Color Breeze are beautiful! I wouldn't have thought about that, but wow, how classic. I'm definitely going to get those samples. With that, do you think the Ewing Blue (Benjamin Moore) from my 1st picture - horizontal bottom color would look ok in the living room or might it be too different being that the house is open concept? I definitely am going into this understanding that repainting is a possibility.

I haven't even thought about furniture yet, because as you said, I am waiting until the house is painted. The only piece of furniture I have is my refurbished dining room table. I posted the picture in this thread and added some more to this post. Also, when I saw my kitchen tiles, I just HAD to have them. It's been the first time that something hit me like that.

My bathroom is quite small.
    We bought a tile that looks exactly like Carrera marble. We're putting them up the three walls around my claw foot tub and painting the rest of the bathroom (not much wall) the purple/grayish color all the way to the right (can't remember name ) I'm getting color boards though as you suggested.

Below is a picture of the color for my bedroom along with a (not so great) picture of my bedroom. I put the color on the wall and it looks beautiful. In my bedroom the ceiling is vaulted...right around 8 1/2 ft. The whole house (except the dining room) is vaulted and 8 1/2 ft. I'm not sure of the exact detentions of the bedroom...I think 12x15.

Thank you AGAIN! I'll be sure to keep you posted. The process has been slow, but we'll be really moving quickly within the next 4 weeks to be in by June!
  • PRO
    Ellen Kryger Interiors
    8 years ago
    Ewing blue is a beautiful color and it works with bone black and cool breeze. The problem with light blues as someone stated they look more powder blue for a baby boy. I understand you have to paint, it's backwards to pick paint without furnishings. Much easier to match paint to furniture and develop a color scheme

You can work this way if you know what you are doing. I use gray blues because some blues are horrible on the walls. It's only paint.

Try Ewing Blue on the walls, it's your home and you have to love it. Carry the paint chip around when it's time to coordinate and purchase.

I like the purple in your bedroom and your Grandmother's dining set. Please keep us posted.
  • Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @eknteriors, another question if you don't mind...can you take a look at these pictures and tell me where you would cut off the paint on each wall? I will get better pictures tomorrow and post them if it's hard to tell from these. Also we were thinking of keeping the ceiling and the vaulted side white and only paint the walls...
  • PRO
    Ellen Kryger Interiors
    8 years ago
    My rule for painting ceilings ....paint angles and horizontal surfaces as ceiling. There are some exceptions but not in this room. Paint the wall and header the same color.

Would you consider painting the living room the same as the kitchen and using Ewing Blue ( or another choice) in accents (pillows, definitely art, rug, accessories). Visually it will look and flow better by eliminating that third color. It's personal preference and another option to think about.

I do not know how close your cabinets will be to the header but your next color should start after the cabinets.

Feel free to ask questions. It's rewarding to find several posts and offer decorating advice. I offer it on Houzz to those I feel, by reading their writing, who will benefit from it.

Q- How much wall space will be painted in the kitchen?

Ellen
    Ellen Kryger Interiors
  • columbia93
    8 years ago

That plum for your bedroom looks very close to what I have! I really like it - just the right shade of purple....not too red, not too blue.

In pic #2, I would consider treating your walls as

1 - wall on the right that moves from the Kitchen through the Dining Room

2 - wall perpendicular, including small beam that goes across opening

3 - other walls in Dining Room

So, when choosing colors, I'd keep them grouped as above, even if you decided to paint group 1 & 2 the same color. It would flow better. One possibility if you're wanting to incorporate color and looking at the way the light hits those walls, would be Group 2 as the Ewing Blue, Group 1 as the teal tone and Group 3 as the purple. Or you could go with 1&2 as Ewing and 3 as either teal or purple. I think I'd stay away from the rosy color just because I think it might change the most over the course of the day.

As for where to stop the painting on the ceiling - it you choose to make Group1 & Group2 different colors, take the white down the angle. If you choose to paint 1 & 2 Ewing, you could then either bring the white down OR extend the Ewing on the angle, which might actually lift the ceiling. I'd try it white first and then decide. Again, if you don't like it you can repaint it!

You've talked about painting the lower half of the walls only with the Ewing. Is there a reason you don't want to paint the whole wall? Also, if you do only want to do half, maybe think about painting the top half the blue and leaving the bottom some shade of white/cream.

One last thing, when you're deciding on your colors, be sure to put those poster boards next to the tiles, since they will be center stage. Will there be a finish on them or will they remain the same as they are now? If they will be finished shinier & darker, be sure to wipe them with a damp cloth before comparing. Looking at the picture (which I've learned is a poor substitute on PCs), the tile seems to change from grey with green tones to grey with lavender. This will make a difference when making that final selection.

Really pretty home - sounds like you are really excited about it and some great plans in place. Don't stress too much about the paint. It bears repeating - if you have to, it can be repainted. :)

• Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh Ellen,

I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I bought the samples and the boards yesterday, and took more pics. I absolutely will consider painting the living room bone black. I thought it would be better to have a more gray" in the living room and that the bone black would be easier to match to furniture as I have to do this backwards. Then, as you suggested, accent with Ewing Blue. I'm glad you said to keep horizontal walls the same as the ceiling. That's really what we wanted to do.

Not too much wall will be painted in the kitchen but I was thinking to paint living room/kitchen bone black, then start the Cool Breeze right under the Ibeam in picture 1. The left wall right under the Ibeam will have cabinets.

Pictures 2, 3, and 4 are the living room walls.

Again, I really can't thank you enough and I'm happy you feel that I merit this advice from you.

Respectfully,
    Laura
  • Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @columbia93...thank you again!! Yes, I am VERY excited!! Ekinteriors actually gave me some great advice and some beautiful colors that I went and got samples of yesterday. I am very close to the decision of making the kitchen/ living room Bone Black (Benjamin Moore) and the dining room Cool Breeze (Benjamin Moore) then I'll be accenting with the Ewing Blue. This seems to me as the best option, and as I heard from many, if I need to re-paint, so be it!

I definitely like the idea if flowing the living room/kitchen together. I think that will be way more inviting and not choppy. I will also leave the horizontal wall the same as the ceiling.

I'm glad you like my bedroom color. It's called Bonne Noit by Benjamin Moore.

Thank you very much for your time and advice! I'm going to put pics up of the progress of course!
  • Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    One more idea... Ewing blue in living room and bone black I kitchen dining room??? I LOVEE EWING BLUE!
  • Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    OR Bone Black in living room/kitchen and Ewing Blue in dining...
  • columbia93
    8 years ago

Laura, I'm not a big fan of grey so I can't really help you here. I see so many/too many designers suggesting grey for every project and every one, even to those people who so obviously love color. My opinion, for what it is worth, is to get samples before you commit. Cool Breeze is just a bluish pale grey. Ewing Blue is warm with a whisper of yellow and really, really lovely and it is absolutely obvious that you are drawn to that, as well as color in general.

Does BM have a color visualizer like Sherwin-Williams does? You can't really get a true feel for the actual color but it might help you decide on what walls to place the color. If BM doesn't have one, upload your photo onto the SW one and choose colors that are similar to what you want. Besides, it's kinda fun to play around with that program.

• PRO
    Ellen Kryger Interiors
    8 years ago
    Laura,

Bone black and Ewing blue are from the Williamsburg Collection-Classic colors. The bone black coordinates with your slate tile and works well in the living room as a backdrop. Your love for Ewing blue and any other colors are layered in and built on your color scheme and furnishings. You could paint the living room Ewing blue, that's up to you.

You now know where and what walls to paint. I would paint the boards and start to visualize the colors in each room. Start to develop a direction and if it's Ewing blue, then that's the direction in developing a plan.

Cool breeze is from the Full Spectrum Color Collection which does not use any black or gray tints. These colors are formulated with 5 or more pigments to achieve amazing colors. I love them because of the pure colors. Again, it's up to you.
  • PRO
    Ellen Kryger Interiors
    8 years ago
    Fantastic! Now you can start to visual the furnishings and colors, an important next step. Look thru my "sitting "area" boards, I have many rooms in beautiful blues and other colors to be inspired by.

You can also search Ewing blue on Houzz and get inspired by other designs.

I would keep in mind, yellow beige or a creamy beige for sofa and Ewing blue to accent! Look at photos and carry those chips when you shop.

Ellen
  • Mary Anna
    2 years ago

Where are the updates?