Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moosecreek

Need help with our porch, walk & flower bed.

moosecreek
11 years ago
We need to take care of the front of our home. We need to shore up our porch as the ground has settled under it. We plan on putting green, small checked lattice around the base of the porch for light & airflow to be allowed in that area underneath the porch. The top part of the porch, as plain as it is, is staying. The walk to it coming from the driveway and a flowerbed/landscaping the front of the porch is what we need help with. Anyone out there have some ideas they can share??

We are also looking at/planning on closing up the center of the very front of the porch where there is an opening in the railing. We had initially planned on steps leading to that doorway. But have come to realize that door is useless and we have no need to put steps there. Matter of fact, we may take that door out, if we could come up with something decent to do with the space where that door is.

Comments (9)

• TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Foundation lattice will be nice. Most houses seem more gracious inside & outside with a front door & steps leading up to front door from a path. U might not want the path and steps now, but I would not remove the front door. U might need steps 4 saftey.
    RJ Elder Design · More Info

I'd buy a wood bench, paint same as your trim and place under garage window in the flower bed. Nice house.
    Buildings · More Info
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    11 years ago
    I assume that as visitors come up the driveway they have a good view of the front of the house. If so, I think removing the front door would be a huge mistake, and I'd actually recommend steps at the opening terminating on the grass. You have a very traditional style of home. The front door is where we expect it, and that's reinforced by the gable with the window above it. So we subconsciously expect to see steps there as well.

I understand your argument that the front door is never used, but I think that if your walk connects the driveway to the steps and the front door steps go to the lawn, no one will mistakenly go to the wrong door. With attractive, flowing plantings across the front of the porch, the steps flowing out to the lawn will become a charming feature.

Plus, when it comes to resale, if you close in the porch and remove the front door, every potential buyer will refer to your home as "the one with the missing front door" to his or her spouse.
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    11 years ago
    Revolutionary Gardens advice is excellent. Your porch "plain as it is" is simple and elegant. Olidj22's recommendation of a bench under the garage door would be inviting and I would add taller plantings on each side. Shutters might work on some of the windows if they are authentically sized to the windows. Make the path to the front door wide and inviting with handsome plantings.
  • moosecreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The front of our home.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    There are several things that will improve your home, but removing the front door is not one of them. First I would replace the "pencil" posts with substantial square columns and below them add square brick foundation supports with the lattice between. Paint the lattice white, the door green. Matching steps to the front door and the side entry would also add much. If you don't have one out back I'd install a patio in the area by the garage to serve as a landing and entertaining spot for the home.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2007-showcase-traditional-new-york-phvw-vp~70299
  • moosecreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    View from the road.
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    There is a home near me that has a front porch and no steps leading up to front door, it has always looked wrong and uninviting to me. Just because you don't use it, it is there to balance the house.
    I would listen to the good advice the professionals have given you.
  • moosecreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really appreciate all the comments. Keep them coming! Just as background, we live in a very rural area, on a working grain farm.
  • TanCalGal
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    To define the side area as the main entrance, have front porch go all across without a gap. Add lattice (white) below and add railing to steps you use for entry. I'd prefer hanging baskets on porch.
    Barker & Canady Homes · More Info
    RMI Project · More Info
    Wheaton Residence · More Info