Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryberry67

SHUTTER AND FRONT DOOR COLOR QUESTION

terryberry67
8 years ago

I need help with paint color for front door.

I want to change my shutters to black and paint my front door red. Any idea what color red paint to choose or would you paint the front door black as well? Please help!!!

Comments (72)

• labincurlers
    8 years ago

PS: I know you didn't ask, but I'd get rid of those shrubs too. Your house has nothing to hide and you should show more of it. Especially the newly painted door and shutters. :)

terryberry67 thanked labincurlers
  • PRO
    Eileen Kenah- Keller Williams Experience
    8 years ago

Is you home white or cream, if it is cream, I would stay away from black shutters as it reminds me of New Jersey license plates.

terryberry67 thanked Eileen Kenah- Keller Williams Experience
  • terryberry67
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is the update with the black shutters I have just installed. I think it makes the house look so much better. Would you paint the flower boxes black? Still thinking of painting the front door red.

• PRO
    House of Glass, Inc.
    8 years ago

Benjamin Moore's Mars Red would be a great color for your door. Have you considered painting the columns black?

terryberry67 thanked House of Glass, Inc.
  • kimrk
    8 years ago

The black shutters look great and dramatic! Yes to painting the flower boxes although flowers may pretty much cover it. No to painting the columns. Can't wait to see the door painted red.

terryberry67 thanked kimrk
  • Emmy
    8 years ago

I wouldn't paint the flower boxes. Just fill them with red geraniums and some vinca vine to spill out.

terryberry67 thanked Emmy
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

The shutters look great! I'd test reds before painting the door -- probably something like the "Peppery" or "Rookwood Red" colors (previously suggested) would complement your roof and bricks better than crayola red or fire-engine red which don't relate to anything you already have.

Pretty house; good luck!

terryberry67 thanked pdk920
  • nikawareham
    8 years ago

I would go with a Tiffanys blue door!

terryberry67 thanked nikawareham
  • nikawareham
    8 years ago

Or something like this

terryberry67 thanked nikawareham
  • terryberry67
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok. Taking a vote. Would you paint the door red or black?

• nikawareham
    8 years ago

I would pick red over black if those are the choices.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

shutters black door black.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

upgrade the porch light.

terryberry67 thanked flair lighting
  • terryberry67
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What is your suggestion for the porch light?

• rh34
    8 years ago

You could make multiple colour copies of this photo and then experiment with all the colour options and combinations using coloured pencils.

• Mark
    8 years ago

A few door options.

terryberry67 thanked Mark
  • Mark
    8 years ago

A curved side walk sometime ?

• dlnaak
    8 years ago

Hey Mark, could you show us one with black columns What program are you using?

• Mark
    8 years ago

I use Adobe Photoshop. I did do one with columns painted just to see and it looked horrible :)

• Jeannette
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here is Sherwin Williams "Red bay" on the door, "Caviar" on the shutters.

• Jeannette
    8 years ago

I think you need to choose a red in a warm hue because the roof is brown and warm hued. Stick with either cool or warm tones when combining colors. The roof is a very dominant color..

terryberry67 thanked Jeannette
  • kimrk
    8 years ago

Don't like the brown toned shutters. Do like the black. Pleased that the black column pic looked bad because I didn't like the idea of painting them.

• Lori711
    8 years ago

Such an adorable home! Please remove those large shrubs as they detract from the beauty of the home (think of a beautiful bride with mud on her face...lol)! Pick evergreen shrubs that won't grow higher than the bottom of the windows. They don't need to be match as that's out of date, especially since the windows are different. I hope you post new pictures as you proceed forward!

terryberry67 thanked Lori711
  • Melky
    8 years ago
    Shutters - nice. Door - black. Place dwarf bush on drive side of the garden, remove other bush completely. Place double shepherd in front of the double window with brightly colored flowers & hanging green plants. Change the lights to matching coach style lights & place black numbers on the front of the porch gable. Making the door a different color would make things look too busy. Brightly colored flowers will add a pop of color too. You can change the flowers any time you want. A black door makes other color changes much easier, less expensive & you have less paint build-up on the door.
    terryberry67 thanked Melky
  • Melky
    8 years ago
    Painting the flower boxes closes off & makes the windows look smaller.
  • Melky
    8 years ago
    I would add low growing fluffy looking ground cover in both gardens with a smattering of small flowering plants. If you don't want to add ground cover, black river rocks would complement the the door & shutters & not clash with the brick or roof. Just my opinion, do with it what you want.
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

To terryberry67: I do love the way the black shutters look in your "update" photo. I still would keep the door and window boxes white and then rely on colorful plants for that punch of color you want. Petunias and geraniums in red and pink shades will give you that color. Since the house is a cream color and the roof looks brown from a distance, I would suggest cream for the porch ceiling and a light brown or black for the porch floor, provided you have a cement surface on the floor rather than brick. Your home has a beautiful design, and the arched-glass colonial door really "makes" it.

• papeterie
    8 years ago

Take a peek at a Benjamin Moore color called Bricktone

terryberry67 thanked papeterie
  • Rebecca VanStensel
    8 years ago

Sherwin Williams "Show Stopper." I have it on the front door of my white house with black shutters. I love it! I have a brick front walk and a black roof.

terryberry67 thanked Rebecca VanStensel
  • terryberry67
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mark- I cannot tell you how beautiful your photoshop picture looks!!! That is exactly what I am shooting for! Could you please provide some paint red colors that you used in the photo? Also, what type of stone did you use for the curved walkway? I am blown away Mark. Beautiful and I cannot thank you enough!

• Mark
    8 years ago

I'm happy that your happy :) The red color is AF - 290 Caliente by Benjamin Moore going off of this picture below. Best to go to Benjamin Moore and look through the color charts and ask the professionals there for their advice as well. It's hard to give paint colors online since computer monitors show different colors.

The walkway would be flagstone. Google flagstone and you will see some great examples. I do think the curved walkway suits your house perfectly. Hope this helps. Best of luck !

• terryberry67
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so very much Mark! You're a huge help!

• chloebud
    8 years ago

Wow...NICE work, Mark!

terryberry67 thanked chloebud
  • Mark
    8 years ago

Thanks terryberry67 and chloebud ! It was my pleasure.

• terryberry67
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How about some ideas for those bushes out front?

• terryberry67
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh and Mark, I think you are developing a fan club. :)

• chloebud
    8 years ago

terryberry, I'd plant something low...no higher than the bottom of the windows. Maybe a combination of boxwood (the "velvet" variety is nice) and flowering plants. I'm not sure how much room you have around your front entry but a couple pots/urns full of geranium would be great. Look at ivy geranium (vs. zonal)...it blooms year round and has an awesome growth quality. Kind of goes up, out and trails over the container it's in. It would also be perfect for your window box.

Not sure where you're located, or if you have a spot in your yard for a small tree, but a Japanese maple would be nice. They're gorgeous and you can get some good deals on them at Lowe's or Home Depot.

• 1stwalker
    8 years ago

Darling little house . . . lots of possibilities. I love Mark's suggestion of the curved walkway. However, with a very pronounced brown roof, and beige siding (maybe it's just my monitor, but siding doesn't look white), I'd recommend perhaps a more brownish/black shade. The door could be a more orange-red for a pop of color. I also think some of the blues, turquoises and even a moss green would be pretty on the door. Love the idea of using a website like Mark did, and play with all the different combinations! Window boxes are the icing on the cake! Good luck!

terryberry67 thanked 1stwalker
  • terryberry67
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I bought Benjamin Moore Caliente and it looks beautiful! I will take a picture this weekend to show you. My next step is to buy the flagstones for the curved walkway. Do those come in kits or do I have to buy them separately?

• Mark
    8 years ago

I'm so pleased that the paint turned out for you ! I thought it would but it's hard to choose colors online sometime. As far as flagstone you could call a garden/landscape place. Just call a few places that deal with stone and they should be able to help you. Have a look at this video it should help you. http://homerenovations.about.com/video/Flagstone-Patio-and-Walkway.htm

• chloebud
    8 years ago

Great...can't wait to see a photo!

• terryberry67
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This was the first coat...

• terryberry67
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not a great pic...but you get the idea

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

oh they did make links!!

terryberry67 thanked flair lighting
  • terryberry67
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you! I love the people on Houzz. Wonderful ideas and wonderful people. :)

• chloebud
    8 years ago

terryberry, shut the front door...I love it!!! Kudos to Mark! Also love those light fixtures.

Have you thought about putting the house numbers on the porch overhang above the door?

• kimrk
    8 years ago

Love it!!!

• caoeliz
    8 years ago

We also painted our door BM Caliente. We love it too.

• HU-954471277
    5 years ago

Hi everyone.

I have a small White House. I'm having a new roof put on my house it's a light gray, thinking about going with burgundy shutters, but I'm not sure what color to paint my front door . Please help me. My house is white with aluminum siding. Thank you....