Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gail_lorden

What do with high ceiling and lights hanging from dark wood beams? Two

Gail Westford
8 years ago
I need to take more pictures the couch is in the middle of the room, we have a spiral staircase that makes it difficult but a conversation piece. The TV is in the corner right side of fireplace and slider to the deck. The left side of fireplace we have like a game table/ computer and or eating area, just small and two chairs behind the sectional we have a shabby off white buffet with two old blue leather recliners on each side. I was thinking we could paint the beams white to get rid of all the wood look. The sliders to the lake really should be the focal point for me. Help

Comments (94)

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

I'm here - you won't have a breakdown I promise. Yes I can help you pick things out. We will need to work with a lot of photos since I'm not there in person for you. Let's talk about where you are at right now and make a list of things you need to select. Paint, carpet, tile, light fixtures, . . countertop. Were you able to pull the carpet samples? If you can, go back up to the calico corners links, go online and order the large sample. Then, put all the things together on your sofa and take a new picture and post it here. Tell me which fabrics you like, and which you don't like. If you have a collection of colors in fabrics and carpet samples the rest gets a lot easier.

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here are a few pix, i hope it's sepia enough. Thanks again for your time and help
    Gail
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The pictures didn't come through I will try again.. Can we just concentrate on the living room, kitchen floor will be next.
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sepia landscape
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I just noticed you said two sepia pictures
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

That's okay . . this one is a small enough size to layer / pair with something portrait / taller . . will get you some online art resources the idea is to add some of the creamy off whites in the sepia tone of the photo . . so I may have you take this one apart and paint the matting with lipton tea! maybe paint the black frame the same creamy off white paint as recommended for the ceiling so it contrasts with the wood towards the color of your sofa . . .do you want to pick up some sample pots of paint to paint little squares and stick them around to see?

. . what is the height of the paneling to the ceiling above the mantel so I don't go too big when I look for a mate for this? and so I can answer your question about something off white and ceramic and tall . . . . .

When you brought home the little carpet sample and put it next to the stone that is on your walls in the kitchen, did it blend with those stone colors well to you? We can leave the kitchen to later, sure . .

Gail Westford thanked libradesigneye
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello, the height measures 3feet 2 inches from the mantle to ceiling. I was thinking about finding sepia pix on canvas for the mantle but didnt see any out looking around. I can hang that print somewhere else if needed. If I go to another carpet place should i bring this small sample to try to match to their product brands. i do want to upgrade the carpet. It is the main room of the house. I will buy some samples of BM today and do a little experimenting. I uploaded two pix from my phone houzz app so I hope they come through. I will look for the fireplace paint color today, what if we didn't paint it? how would that effect the colors you are suggesting?

I also went and looked at some chairs with the sunbrella stripes, I really like them, but the chairs are like over $1000. each... I don"t mind but my husband I know will think thats steep.

thanks

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Photos with kitchen rock
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

I was thinking you might be able to add lumbar pillows with the stripe to the chairs you have - save $ and be ahead. You might recover the chairs you have for less as an alternative if you think they need it. The sample is for color - the color could range lighter but that is the right color family generally. Will look today at your pics and be back with more help.

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

If you don't want to paint the paneling, and you don't paint the fireplace, there isn't a lot of room to give your room the facelift you were hoping for. Painting the brick is about your only move to give the room a new feeling and help the mantel read out in contrast to the brick.

I pulled a couple of sepia toned things - what we are trying to do with these is select one with a mostly light / cloudy background to contrast against your dark wood wall . I almost need to know hobbies and geography and what you guys love to pick good art for you . .

here's a great looking bison - sky and all = tones are great .. he doesn't come in the perfect size but 32 high would be pretty nice paired with two others . . you are looking for a large scale here on the main piece, and then layers of interest .. suppose you could frame him without a mat to get a few extra inches on him . . we are thinking creamy off white frames with rubbed edges . . again - light on the dark

http://www.art.com/products/p18688910975-sa-i7138544/justin-bailie-bison-in-grand-teton-national-park-wyoming.htm?sOrig=CAT&sOrigID=0&dimVals=23953-207248-207263&ui=2F402B08C6FF4366BC30F37D88F090CF&PODConfigID=4990875

something more graphic like the second link botanical would provide a nice counterpoint the the existing landscape you purchased - since it is tall and narrow - mounted it is 35" high . . sort of perfect in your space . but it may not move you like a tulip or another option

http://www.art.com/asp/mountshop/default.asp/_/mt--1/pd--17425394091/sp--a/posters.htm?PODConfigID=0&ui=2F402B08C6FF4366BC30F37D88F090CF -

I really thought you might love this one - too small by itself, but in a group where the others have large scale, one 12 x 12 could be a sweet addition http://www.art.com/products/p26880109582-sa-i8137788/suzanne-foschino-my-love-2.htm?sOrig=CAT&sOrigID=0&dimVals=23953-207265&ui=2F402B08C6FF4366BC30F37D88F090CF

So, yes, when you look for sepia what we really mean is off white, creamy light tones / wood undertones like the paint for the brick and the ceiling . . .

And by layering, we want photos we can set on the mantel, not hang, maybe even overlap each other, one tall, one panorama would be nice (do you have any old panoramic family photos from the 30's of a graduating class or sisters or family reunions? kinkos can take them and scan then, digitally make the sepia and print them out for you so it is personal and panoramic and art) . . then something ceramic . .maybe a jug or pitcher that could be a vase when you feel like adding flowers or willow branches but would be pretty all by itself . . . .

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

ps - looked at the photos - think the greige is pretty terrific in the kitchen from what i can see of the photos as a tonal match to some of the stones . . the colors in that photo are definitely lit differently for your camera to read . . saw it with the granite too . . went back to the ben moore colors (HD will make them for you, sherwin williams will make them for you - both of them make sample pots of paint -though SWs are big enough to paint a lot with)- double checked them against the urban taupe flooring - same family - edgecomb on the fireplace brick and maritime on the ceiling will do a lot for the space . . maybe carry the maritime tone into the kitchen . . where you need more light . .

I think it is pretty good with the lighter flecks in the granite - it goes away from the pinky red tones but still works nicely with the dark . . my opinion isn't the one that matters the most here . . what do you think about it?

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here are some carpet samples I brought home from a,Shaws floor store. Tried to match close to,the urban taupe
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Going to get the paint samples today, maybe I will go to Michael's and buy a different border for the print.
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I forgot to tell you our hobbies. I love to read and love dogs, I enjoy boating and fishing and music. My husband is a musician, plays acoustic guitar and sings. He loves to golf,fish, and music of course.
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Those are both great tones and options carpet wise .. . . think HD carries that same shaw carpet at a discount, fyi .. will look again. .

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here is edgecomb gray
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Above fireplace
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The carpet is actually by California called Tuftex
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Do you like the edgecomb next to the wood as a neutral for your brick? It is meant to provide contrast to the wood walls and mantel.

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I think I like it just having a hard time with picturing the greige carpet with it?
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

It is a lighter shade of greige . . an off white in the greige direction. The carpet is a neutral / dirt color in the shade of all the neutrals you want to build in . . that is where getting the fabric swatches would help you see how to fill in the shades inbetween. Even if you don't use those fabrics, you'll be able to lay them on your sofa, with the carpet sample, and the paint sample and see how they all work together. Good question.

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    You're the best! thank you, my husband is getting frustrated with my decision confidence.
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Better to take your time now and be sure than to try to return something expensive that you hate .. hang in there, change always feels risky, even good change!

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I added some of our pictures I think would be nice in sepia. What do you think?
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sepia prints maybe
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Love these - very different but great layered because they are different ..

Maybe do the landscape large . it has the big white sky I was hoping to find for you to read out against the wood wall . . .the buck that is your photo here would be amazeballs if it means something to you . . not sure if you want to find out how big you can go . . no more than 36" high - it would be terrific as a printed canvas that was since graininess won't show up as much / matter so much there, (you can do an inexpensive paper print to see what you would get before you commit .. see how big you can print the crowd before you lose quality . the folks at kinkos will blow it up and show you a smaller piece of it at 100% so you get a sense before you pay even for that .. . it might go on the sideboard in a off white frame if it can't be too big ... you might crop the gulls like a portrait / vertical with just the three gulls and sunspots . . I don't know about the memories these evoke for you - that seagull might remind you of how you and hubby bonded over jonathan livingston s.

the sand photo is just neat as it is . . . maybe in a bathroom though?

i found a singing cowgirl photo in sepia that somehow seemed like it might resonate with your musician . . http://www.art.com/products/p27242280914-sa-i8164898/singing-cowgirl.htm?sOrig=CAT&sOrigID=22453&dimVals=22453-23953&ui=5BDD2AAC03C64141BF1D2B4156AB79C4

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi there, question for you, have you seen the white wash look on fireplaces? I think I would like it more than the solid paint color.
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Amazeballs that's a new word for me!
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

White wash is a bit more traditional and should work well on your fireplace - trick is not to actually select white . . you want to pick a light tan shade . . the maritime might not be my first choice then ..

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes that's what I thought I'd use the maritime color. Did you see any of the pictures I put on for some ideas? I went to Bernie and Phils and Jordan's furniture, also jc penny
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh, I just realized you said maritime would not be the color for white wash? Yikes glad I saw that. We will start painting the end of the month.
  • PRO
    Ovchinnikov Eugeny N.
    8 years ago

Hi, Gail Westford ! I think four of those would be terrific and give you an instant update. Are you feeling less confused? Were you able to find the free samples I suggested at HD and did they help a little?

• PRO
    Ovchinnikov Eugeny N.
    8 years ago

Then you have the start of something fresh. You can get the paint mixed in HD sample sizes too and paint two coats on foam core poster board with them - (maybe sign daughter up to be your paint tester painter) carry them around the space. Gail Westford Order the sample size of all the fabrics I posted (any that you don't hate like the way they look on line), put them against your sofa next to these carpet samples. Decide which of these look good together.

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I am not sure which pictures you like?
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Hi there - I like the crowd. I want you to blow it up as big as you can without it going grainy. The others are nice but not sure you can get the larger scale you need. . . Edgecomb gray is going to be better if you want to wash the brick . .(don't worry it isn't gray at all .. just a tad deeper than maritime so you can stick with that if you want) . . to wash brick water it down by 1/3 and do one thin coat with a sponge closeby to stop any drips . let it soak up and dry . . then decide if you want a second thin coat . . i think you will but you need to let the clay do its thing before you know what the result will look like. .

Thanks for the photos of the back wall with the kitchen cut out - love the kitchen cabinets you found . . .. but may be better for natural light . .

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have a question. I thought sepia was a brown faded look. When I went to order one made of my picture and I put sepia for the effect it looked more grey/faded black. Which is it, I don't want the wrong colors.
    Thanks
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Yes, you want the brown faded look because this is trying to echo the panelling undertone and the warm whites we are using . . heading to greige . . no gray faded black

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Remember that a monitor can make it not look right - you can have kinko's or whoever your large format printer is . .print a little corner on an 8 x 11 so you can see the color tones . . they can color correct it to be more golden in undertone .. .

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes I am willing to paint the wood doors too
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    New pictures added
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What a mess
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Re carpet the stairs?
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Activity!! Progress!! We love to celebrate that!!! Know it is scary and exciting!

Unless you have little ones you feel you must protect from themselves, I wouldn't recarpet those stairs. the wood treads look great with the walls you are keeping. Unless noise is an issue at night . . consider all the factors that work for you.

Glad you are back . .hang in there .. it will get better!! Floor in progress I guess .. did you want to wash the brick before you have new flooring to protect? Ooh .. just saw the blue tape .. looks like you are tentatively trying the wash . . 1/3 water 2/3 paint is a good mix but since you have varigated brick you are going to want two coats. Hang in there . . good time to mask off the brass on the door if you want to paint it matte black to match all your wrought iron .. rustoleum has a high heat spray paint made for this - your painter will do it too if you ask and buy the stuff -(and pay a tad more)

If you are scared, just have the painter wash your brick for you . . give him the colors and tell him whether you want the variegation on the brick to read through when he is done - i think you would be happier if it did not - it will give the place a new lift.

What if you take down the vertical blinds and go curtain and rod shopping? Look for a fat black iron rod that can extend nearly to the corner of the room - you want your new drapes to stack free of the glass . .or nearly free of the glass. You can start watching the sales but I think you want a natural linen shade - heading away from cream towards midway between the dark whites and pale leather and the wood tones. Don't go sheer - the wood and leather makes the room feel clubby and substantial - you want the curtains to feel substantial .. velvet is too fussy for the lake but heavy canvas or lined twill would be terrific (like sails) - simple tab backs would be best - grommets are a bit too modern for your place.

• Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Some inspiration, love eclectic style in second pic
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Question? While we have everything pulled apart should we paint the the white baseboard maritime white like the ceiling? And I will be painting the brass black. It's all primed! And I painted the picture frame
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Labradesigneye sent you a new question and pictures
  • Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sorry spelled your name wrong
    Libradesigneye question for you
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

How is it going, Gayle? The fireplace looks so fresh and crisp - and warm with the wood - glad you painted the frame above . . you can see how a white white next to the wood isn't as nice as the historic / maritime white you used.

What color is your baseboard now? Is it white because it is a baseboard heater? Or is it wood tone? Or is it a mix of white metal and wood?

You have wood walls, and gosh, if it was mostly wood I would leave it. If it was bright white now, and I was painting the baseboard, I'd find the color closest to the color of my new carpet - is that close to the edgecomb gray color that you already have? Something tonally deeper than the white on the fireplace would be nice since it is supposed to be the star but the baseboard wants to visually disappear.

• Gail Westford
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok it is like off white, yes it is the heating baseboards, I am still waiting for my carpet it was special order.. Should be here any day now. So I don't have the exact color of get the paint. But that can wait because I can still paint after the carpet is installed.
    The fumes weren't too bad, I paint too slow so my husband ended up taking over, lol. He did not like that job, too tedious trying to fill the little gaps in the bricks. I would have done it but...too slow for him. Got the two kitchen ceilings painted maritime white, just the big room needs to be painted. It's coming along! I love the curtain idea, I saw that look at calico corners, but they were linen, gorgeous, but I think if I told the lady that's what I want but less expensive she would help me. They were $800. Each slider.. They were gorgeous and I would buy them tomorrow! But the husband would not be thrilled. Thanks so much I will do some before and afters, so keep in touch! Next spring kitchen will be next!
    Thanks again, Gail