Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgrindrod

columns in house going from traditional to transitional

rgrindrod
8 years ago

We have started a construction project on our 1950s ranch. The previous owners had made everything a yellow/red tone traditional style. We are turning the new construction and old areas into a 'transitional' style, going more in the grey and neutral/calming color palette. I need advice on these existing round decorative columns on the pony walls between the dining and living room. Should I leave the columns, remove the columns completely and just leave the pony walls, or replace the columns with square/rectangular ones?

Comments (8)

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Before you get carried away removing those columns, you better hire a structural engineer to make sure they aren't there to hold up your roof as they appear they might be to me.

rgrindrod thanked hayleydaniels
  • User
    8 years ago

I agree with hayleydaniels, they appear to be lally columns within a decorative lally column cover. I would change out the cover to a squared one. But, given that the pony walls are pretty small, you might want to consider replacing the pony wall with a full height wall. If they are not lally columns holding up the house, I would remove them all together.

rgrindrod thanked User
  • Mark
    8 years ago

I don't mind the columns but here is what square ones would look like. Click picture to enlarge.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

the fact that they DO go into the ceiling is a bit puzzling and makes one wonder that they are structural at all. or else someone spent some effort burying the beam in the ceiling.

rgrindrod thanked Judy Mishkin
  • miacometlady
    8 years ago
    I so agree that the columns would look better anchored onto wood moulding. However at the very least, they need to need finished off as in my last two pictures with moulding to hide the holes at the base and top, which I believe are to allow water to drain if placed outside. A good idea with poor execution.
    rgrindrod thanked miacometlady
  • User
    8 years ago

If you can remove the columns, maybe you can remove the pony walls as well, although it might affect the flooring...

rgrindrod thanked User
  • rgrindrod
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the responses, everyone. The previous owners had put them up. Had someone qualified check them out- turns out, they are purely decorative and not structural. In our larger current construction project, we just last night had them also punch a larger cased opening in the wall and I couldn't stand staring at the weird looking columns from my opened up kitchen! See pic below- opening on right looks into kitchen. Eventually plan on replacing half walls with built in bookcases or something, but that's another project for another day (HVAC runs in the half walls).