Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nchavda88

laminate colour?! hickory (left) or walnut (right) help!!

nchavda88
8 years ago
Hi guys, I have been going round in circles over this. Which one do you prefer?? Flooring is definitely the hardest to decide! Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

Walnut is very handsome. It will offer a "dark" floor = a bit more maintenance. I'm a fan of "hickory" but NOT in a laminate mimic...it always looks fake to me. Walnut is normally very handsome in a laminate "mimic".

• nchavda88
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Some more pics!
  • sissaga
    8 years ago

hickory is beautiful but might be a bit demanding when decorating. I would go for the equally stunning walnut.

• Julie Yelanich
    8 years ago

I'd go with the hickory. It's beautiful (they both are), but the darker the floor the more it shows. I had a dark floor and had to sweep it several times a day.

• keenplanner
    8 years ago

Laminates are like putting formica on the floor. No depth, plastic looking.
    Looks like you have a nice, solid Doug Fir or Pine Floor. Why not have it refinished, and for color, you could put an anolyne dye wash, or not, or have it sanded impeccably smooth and painted with a nice, shiny epoxy floor paint (I'm seeing brown-black)

• nchavda88
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you but some of the boards are pretty damaged towards the end of the room! But thank you for the suggestion.. Looks like 50/50 between the walnut and hickory! Both are beautiful, but I just want it to look as beautiful as possible!
  • TM N55
    8 years ago

Go lighter in color. I have hickory engineered and love it. I just put in my hickory floor and could have easily gone lighter, (but softer wood), or darker or something that had more red in it. Don't like the red. Go with lighter color. With the light your house gets from the windows, you'll want the eye to not drift down to the heaviness of the dark floor, and furniture. Keep it airy.

• babbs50
    8 years ago

Any pets that shed a lot?

• kittnkaboodle
    8 years ago
    hickory
  • nchavda88
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi there, no pets. Thanks!
  • kittnkaboodle
    8 years ago
    Hickory.
  • Jean Benelli
    8 years ago

Hickory. Make sure you install the best sound proof underlayment you can afford. I have the same laminate and after 10 years it still looks great.

• merrigay
    8 years ago

Hickory. I switched to a darker floor and I'm sorry I did. It's beautiful but as others have said, it shows everything. And the newer laminates can be very beautiful. I went real wood and my daughter went laminate and I wish I had, too. Unless 'keeping up with the Joneses' is a priority, laminate looks and wears very well.

• nchavda88
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate all your suggestions! I'm going hickory all the way! :)