Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haleymcmartin

Tri-level family room dilemma

Haley Rogers
8 years ago

I am stumped on a furniture layout for my family room (I'm sure anyone with a tri-level can relate). Layout must have room/spot for 50" TV, and seating for 4+. I plan to buy new furniture, just not sure what combination of pieces. Wishlist includes either a recliner or sectional w/ chaise. Just trying to create a functional cozy living space.

Any options/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (13)

• Jeffrey Thomason
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Because of the lack of wall space and the fact that a window is right across the largest wall. I would say that a mounted tv above the fireplace would be a start. Flip couch to be aimed at fireplace, put love seat in couches place. Keep chair where it is but replace with a smaller chair with less bulk to it to help keep the room from feeling small when the two couches are there.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

It would help to know the dimensions of the space, but I'd say the TV belongs on the wall to the right of the fireplace. You could have a sofa facing the TV with a chair or two facing the fireplace. Put the TV on an articulating arm so it can be adjusted for viewing.

I would not do a sectional in this space. You will limit your options for rearrangement. And I would never do a reclining sofa; they're just plain bulky and ugly. But you could do one or two smallish reclining chairs.

• Clay Aragon
    8 years ago
    Your room is a tough one indeed. I think a sectional would look cleaner for this room. If you could fit a chaise lounger great but I have a feeling your living room would look a bit too crowded. Perhaps upholstered benches instead of chaise?
    Big screen TVs are always a challenge in a room with fireplaces because they tend to create dual focal points. You may want to consider a low TV console that you can place at an angle on either side of the fireplace. Best of luck!
  • Jeffrey Thomason
    8 years ago
    I just think that since the fireplace is such a large focal point of the room , it may be worth the effort to make the tv work on that wall with a tilt down mount. that way couches aren't backing windows and the sun hitting the tv.
  • Haley Rogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dimensions for this room are 13' wide by 15' long (this is cutting the room off around the door outside to allow for a walkway).

• Felix Pradas-Bergnes
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Please consider remodeling the fireplace. Either resurface in a finish (stone, tile, sheetrock) that goes all the way to the ceiling or a least removing the wood frame that does not match the cabinets on either side of it.

If you resurface the fireplace with a solid finish then you can relocate the mantle to a lower position and place or imbed a TV set at a more comfortable height.

• Najeebah
    8 years ago
    I tried different sorts of couches in your room. let me know weather you like/dislike any and il see if we can use any others to make a match. (I used homestyler)
  • Najeebah
    8 years ago
    some more with front and rear
  • Najeebah
    8 years ago
    another, also front and rear

in total, i think I've put in one armchair where you have one currently. all the couches I've used are positioned against the wall to the right of the fireplace when facing the fireplace
    I think a tv would be better on the wall with the window because of glare if its placed opposite. however im not sure if that works with the size of the window.. I also like the previous poster's suggestion regarding the tv above if the mantle is altered.
    do you want to paint?
  • Haley Rogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Najeebah, thank you so much for this, it certainly helps to visualize. It's amazing the difference it makes having sleeker/lighter colored furniture. And yes, I do plan to paint, thinking something neutral but haven't decided yet.

• Najeebah
    8 years ago

Most welcome Haley. Have you gotten any further yet?

• PRO
    Furnishr
    7 years ago

I agree with the rest of the comments. The layout of your room is somewhat uneven, but replacing your furniture with new ones will make a difference. For example, I would add a cream color sofa and add a few accessories into the room. I think sticking with a large sofa and two side chairs will make it look more modern.