Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travelbug01

Help for a small master bedroom with a large view

travelbug01
8 years ago

Please help -- What furniture would you select to compliment this headboard, yet achieve an open airy feel? The headboard will go on the large empty wall. I will be needing 2 bedside tables (max 24" wide). On the opposite wall, between the door and window, I'd like to put some sort of narrow console table that has storage as well. [The window hardware (not shown) is antique pewter. I'm thinking white silk drapes and swapping the bedding to a white. The lighting fixture and lamps also need replacing.] Our style is updated traditional with a bits of transitional and coastal. Should I purchase dark tables? If yes, how do I balance all that dark with all that white on the other side of the room? Or could you envision something else to render a 'lighter' feel to this small room?

The following was my original inspiration, but I don't want the antique accent pieces - we are more interested in tables that provide some storage and a place to set lamps.

Comments (17)

• Heather Hunnell
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What style of drapes are you considering? Plain panels, pinch pleats, something else? Just curious, as our master sounds very similar to yours and I don't love what I've got in the way of window treatment now.

We like dark wood in general and do have dark tables in our white room. Personally, I think adding a little color provides the balance. We have color in our bedding, but if you like the all-white bedding look then you could still add color several way . . . a throw for the foot of the bed, accent pillows, lamps, or wall decor. It would really be like the blue and white room you have pictured above, just with dark side tables instead of white. I think it still works.

• MarleneM
    8 years ago
    I think I would go with something other than black for nightstands. A warm wood tone or maybe even a colour. I think if you add a black dresser on the wall opposite the bed, and black curtain rods, you will be repeating black in different areas of the room, and that will balance it out.
    http://houzz.com/photos/4358449
  • MarleneM
    8 years ago
    Wood tone similar to the ones in this picture. Mercury glass lamps like these would be wonderful too.
    http://houzz.com/photos/11041275
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

I love the headboard. I suggest all white bedding and compliment with pillows. For night stands and dresser, you can go two ways. Lt me throw some samples and let me know if anything hits your décor button.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Not sure how many drawers you want in a console, but won't get too many unless you want to go to dresser. look at these

• susan2494
    8 years ago

With mirrored and silver accented furniture, you could put up silver or white or even pale blue curtains. That would add that coastal flavor and keep it light and airy.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Mix it up a little bit you don't have to have matching nitestands or console, it fact it will give the room more interest. Look at lamps as suggested that are not heavy looking. Put the blue on the silver nitestand and silver on the black.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Some pillows to tie all together

Federal blue to match drapes.

• er612
    8 years ago

What a great room! If you get nightstands in the same tone as your headboard, choose open ones with only one or two drawers so it doesn't feel so heavy. Love the headboard!

• Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    If you haven't already ordered I would think twice before filling the roo. with large dar wood pieces. Why are you doing that?
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    Oh! Sorry for the typos! Anyway... If you have not already ordered the set then why not purchase a fabric headboard and nightstands in a light color?
  • bbhappy81
    8 years ago
    Beautiful headboard! I would place a tall, standing mirror (in the corner opposite the bed) that has a nice, thick dark frame to compliment the bed. I think the last photo works because the side tables are light in color and there are things to draw the eye up from the headboard.
  • Karen P
    8 years ago

I'm sorry, but susan2494 where did you find that second lamp??

• Karen P
    8 years ago
    Thanks!
  • cpaul1
    8 years ago

That headboard is beautiful. I would not try to have the nightstands compete with it, I would do a different material (not wood) for those like mirror or wrought iron.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Be sure and send photos of finished room.