0

Has anyone built the Mitch Ginn Southern Living Stone Creek

Christine Norton

Hello...

We are interested in starting to build Southern Living Stone Creek the fall. I have seen a few pictures, but not many. Has anyone built this plan?

Comments (1.1K)

• Crystal Scarbrough

@stacie leggo what floors are in your living area, they are gorgeous! I love that this feed is still going strong so many years later, it is so helpful!!

• Amanda
    @Stacie Leggo that’s beautiful! I love everything you have picked out! I’d love the name of your countertops and your flooring!
  • Stacie Leggo
    Thanks y’all! Our floors are Chesapeake flooring Tribute series in Bayou. They’re an engineered acacia hardwood. The countertops are Cosmos Carrara Venatino quartz in the kitchen and master. Then in another bathroom it’s HanStone Italian Waves quartz. We’ve got granite in one bathroom but I’m not sure the name of it. It was a remnant.
  • Kayla Usery
    Stacie, your house is so beautiful!!! Where did you get your barstools? I’ve been looking for some like that and the only ones I’ve seen are at Target, but they’re sold out!
  • Shannon Newbold Wright

Kayla we have those same barstools from target and they are fantastic! We got them on a sale and they are very sturdy and well built for a good price. I would hang on until they get back in stock it’s worth the wait!

• Shannon Newbold Wright

Kayla i just checked and they have those barstools in stock at Target online. Just type in x back barstool in the search box on target.com

• Stacie Leggo
    Hey Kayla! They’re from World Market! Actually 30% off right now too with their promo code FURN30!! My island is a little over 9’ so you can get the idea of how big they’re sizing and spacing.
  • Boxerlover

I've followed this thread for almost a year and everyone's houses look amazing. We've only been in our Stone Creek home for about a month but absolutely love this plan so far.

• andria564

Boxerlover Do you know what stain mix was used for your floors?

• Boxerlover

Hi Andria564 - I am sorry but I do not have the stain mix formula for our floors because it is a mixture of two different stains that our builder has been using in recent homes he has built. I originally wanted to go darker but he talked me out of it (thankfully) because darker floors have a tendency to show dirt and footprints a lot more than lighter floors.

• Boxerlover

For those of you still contemplating whether or not to go with the Stone Creek, I don't think you will be disappointed in the least if you go this route. The layout flows well and it's a very versatile plan. Obviously, this is not the best time of year to plant grass in VA, so we will wait until mid to late September.

• Tamara Sorensen, PLA

I know there were a few examples early on in this thread but if anyone has any significant floorplan modifications they've made to this plan I'd love to see them. Mainly we want to eliminate the dining room and would prefer an extra bedroom or office type space? Or if anyone has a done a full basement with this plan where did you put the staircase?

• jln 96

If memory serves, I believe KillerBee used the dining room as an office and walled it off at the entry way. We have a full basement and the staircase is directly under the stair case going up stairs. In the Mitch Ginn plans, a basement option is provided with the plans. It works out excellent as the door is directly in line when walking in from the garage.

• Boxerlover

We actually extended the master bedroom, the laundry room and the study as well. We put in a full basement, and the door going to the basement is in line when coming in from the garage.

• Crystal Scarbrough

Would anyone be able to help me out by giving me your roofline pitch where the peaks in the front are? We were told to be cost efficient to not go over an 8/12 pitch roof but now that we have preliminary plans back, I'm second guessing that decision. We are building in north florida. Just wanting to price it out to see if we just spend the extra money in that area! This thread has been so helpful thus far!! Thanks in advance!

Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    Boxerlover - your home is beautiful. I’m curious to know if you’re happy with your split ac unit in the workout room? I noticed it in the photo. Our builder has spec‘ d one for our bonus room, which has a bedroom at one end and a bathroom. He says it’ll keep all rooms cooled/ heated. I sure hope so. Also what is the blue/aqua color in the bathroom and bedroom? I sure wish you knew your floor stain color! I’m dealing with that choice now and I don’t want to go too dark or too light. Yours are perfect!
  • Boxerlover

Hi Vanessa - we are extremely pleased with our split ac unit in our home gym. It is a Mitsubishi split system - 1 exterior unit with 2 indoor cassettes and it operates with 2 remotes. It cools off the room very quickly. The blue paint is Sherwin Williams Tradewind 6218. Our floors are stained with a mixture of Provencial, Jocabean and there is one other color that I haven’t been able to pin down, but I’ll keep checking.

• Stacie Leggo
    Crystal here is our exterior plans that show all of our roof pitches..
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs

Boxerlover - YAY!!! Tradewind is the color I selected for my guest bedroom, foyer and the ceiling in my great room. I'm happy to know that's what's on your walls. Also the 2 choices of stain I was planning to suggest to my flooring finisher is provincial & dark walnut. So that should be a good medium choice based on what you think they used on your floor. I believe Jacobean is a bit darker than dark walnut. And I'm glad to hear your like your Mitsubishi units. That's the brand we're getting too. Thank you for responding!

• Crystal Scarbrough

Stacie, thank you so much!!! We didn’t buy the plan from Mitch Gunn we found a copy online and had someone local draw it for us so I didn’t have elevation and details of the outside besides pictures. I’m concerned that the initial changes we’ve made, I won’t be happy with

• fowlersna

Amanda, We are thinking of changing the upstairs bathrooms to Jack and Jill as well. Would you mind sharing your idea? Did you lose much closet space for the bedroom in doing that?

• Amanda
    Fowlersna I’m attaching a photo. I don’t think we lost much closet space.
  • fowlersna

Thanks so much, it looks awesome. Love that it kept walls, hallways and doors basically the same. Thank you for sharing

• shookhill

We are considering building either the Stone Creek or the Elberton Way. I am in central Virginia and was able to walk thru an Elberton way. Would love to see a Stone creek to compare. Was wondering if anyone is close by. thanks

• Boxerlover

Hi Shookhill - we built the Stone Creek and moved in two months ago. We are located in Fincastle, VA, just north of Roanoke. Not sure where you are located, but if you would like to see our house, you can email me to make arrangements - donnahhurd@gmail.com.

• Jenni Brooker
    I would love your help! I’m needing trim ideas a recommendations for the inside trim around our arched front doors. If you installed arched top French doors in your house, I’d love to see pictures of your trim around the inside. Thank you for your help in advance!!
  • Crystal Scarbrough

Does anyone have a picture of the bedroom upstairs over the master side of house? We are finalizing our plans and im interested to see the ceiling in there, like looking into the room from the door and where placement of things could go. ANY pictures would be greatly appreciated!

• autumnmcox

Hi Crystal. I haven’t been on here in a while but here is my teen daughters room. This room has 9’ ceilings and is bigger than the plan. It’s 14’ 8” x 15’ 2”. the pictures are from the door, the bathroom door, and each corner.

• autumnmcox

I can’t get the photos to post!

• Kayla Usery
    I believe you are referencing the “bonus” bedroom? This is how we arranged my daughter’s room. If you are talking about the bedroom directly over the living room we made ours into a playroom with French doors so I don’t know about layout, but I can add pictures if you’d like!
  • Natalie Parker

I am installing landscaping. I would love to see pictures of what you planted. Did you do a flower bed by the big windows in the guest bed/study room? I planted all day yesterday and only finished in front of the porch as we have about as much rocks and dirt in our ground.

• Ginger Flukinger

I would live. see your pictures. We re just starting the Stonecreek house.

• Danielle Meyer

Hello! We are seriously looking at this floorplan and I wanted to know if anyone has built this close to southern Illinois that would be willing to show us your home? We could travel a few hours if necessary.. thanks so much!

Has anyone built this house with an extended covered back porch?

• kristihowellrdh .

We are in the process of building the Stone creek and about 3 months from completion date.we did move the living area out and left 4 feet for door which pushed the porch out to allow for a screened in porch. we extended the porch even longer (it’s around 14ft )but kept same width .This caused the upstairs room over living area to be larger by 4ft.Since the room was bigger than the front bedroom we switched my daughters room there and added full bathroom and walk-in closet..There is so much potential space in this home which we have taken advantage of while framing .we Also took master bath tub out and did a large double head shower . One last thing we did was push the wall in the kitchen dining area level with kitchen wall so we could extend the kitchen cabinets more to accommodate the living area space we added.we debated if we should do 5ft windows verse the 6ft the blueprints called for and I just want to say do NOT change the size .The 6ft complements the home and looks good.We did choose to take the transom off front windows but I added them to the livingroom windows.Our Porches have not been poored yet but that will help the look of the screened in porch .we plan to have steps added on left of screen porch that will lead to firepit patio around back.i will post pic as we progess .

• kristihowellrdh .

Looking from garage ..you will notice laundry room is longer since we moved wall level with backside of house .its actually 17ftx7ft wide.we added closet in the room ect.but still kept mudroom like blueprints said.

• k10dall

Has anyone done brown or black trimmed windows? If so, what color blinds/indoor shutters did you use? A picture would be fabulous! Thanks!

• shookhill

@Natalie Parker, love that you used mostly brick. Did you install shutters? Would love to see a picture of the fininshed exterior. Also, I see that you used Natchez brick, what color trim did you use? thanks

• Boxerlover

Hi Shookhill - No problem at all if you want to tour our home. Can you email me directly at donnahhurd@gmail.com so that we can set up a time? Thanks!

• Nikki Daughtry

does anyone have a picture of this house with white siding/board and batten? more of a "farmhouse" exterior?

• Trisha Creamer

Hi, we have enjoyed reading everyone's experiences and have gained a lot of ideas from this post. Sorry in advance for the long post, but we have a few questions. We are building the Stone Creek plan in Alabama, and the contractor we are using opposes foam insulation. His reasoning includes issues with: the house sweating, difficulty detecting termites, and double the cost (compared to his preferred BIB insulation). I have priced both open cell foam vs BIB, and yes, he is correct that the foam is double the cost. I see his point concerning the termites, however, I checked with my pest control company who said there are no issues with bonding a home for termites with foam. The last concern is really the reasoning for this post - Has anyone in the southeast with foam insulation had any issues with sweating? According to our HVAC contractor, sweating could become an issue and in his experience it really depends on the design of the house. Worst case scenario, we would have to install a dehumidifier in the attic if it occurs. Any advice would be appreciated.

• jeannahillyard

Now that everyone has been in there house how do you feel the natural light is? Do you like having your sink in the island?

• Michael Mass

Trish- I haven't been around on this blog lately and look forward to catching up. We have been settling in and finishing up projects on the property. We used open cell in all attic spaces and the walls in the bonus above the garage. We used batt everywhere else including in between floors for sound. We are very happy with the efficiency of our house. Our energy usage has been very close to our old 1960's house that was 1/3 the size. The old house had similar efficiency hvac and appliances. I feel like it was a good cost effective solution that also negated some of the potential problems you referenced; humidity, termites, etc. Also, it is so nice to have a cool, clean attic space!

• Stacie Leggo
    Nikki, we did a combo of white siding and board and batten. Don’t have any updates pics but here’s some pictures of when we were finishing up.
  • Nikki Daughtry
    Staci THANK YOU so much! Exactly what I was looking for! Beautiful!
  • Stacie Leggo
    You’re welcome!! I’ll try and get some updated pics this weekend when the weather improves.