Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icethat247

Open Concept Kitchen/ Living Room- Can't find design examples anywhere

Erica
8 years ago

Hi Houzzers :-) Here is my kitchen/living room- this is our first house so these were the furniture pieces that we were given or salvaged to save money initially. We just got married, hence all of the clutter so please overlook that- things are just thrown everywhere at the moment. Here is what I am looking for-

We would like to put in an island with storage and ideally have bar stools at it so it could be a small entertaining area. I am having a hard time parting with our kitchen table because it was my grammy's so that may stay there for a while longer, but if you have suggestions on what kind of table we should eventually put there that would be helpful.

We will be getting a new bar- this was just a diy salvage from our parents cabinet with the new move, but we think that it should still be centered between the living room/kitchen? Thoughts?

For the living room, I think we would like to get 2 chairs instead of our hand me down love seat but we are having the hardest time making the living room feel cohesive and the kitchen feel cohesive, I can't find any examples with our house layout to get ideas. We like to entertain a lot so we do need some sort of seating option there.

Also, any ideas for a unique and modern pendent light that isn't super expensive for over the sink would be great. I don't know how to create my "style" it feels all mixed and wrong hah.

Thank you in advance!!! <3 Erica

Kitchen- looking from living room - Where the brown rug is would be where we would like an island

Dining area

Wicked awkward middle section of the house. The whole area also has a cathedral ceiling.

In the living room looking into kitchen

Comments (45)

• yellowginghamdoll
    8 years ago

Get a sofa table, or as you suggest, a long bar cabinet, for behind the couch. It will need to be long enough to go the length of the couch minus about 6 inches on each side. It will divide the room more appropriately. Overstock and Wayfair are good sources. Get two large distinct rugs--one for dining area and one for living room. The rug you have under the table now is much too small for it. Overstock and Amazon both stock affordable choices.

Erica thanked yellowginghamdoll
  • Diane Land
    8 years ago

I love the idea of the portable island. Maybe try a darker slip cover on your love seat, move the area rug from under the DR table to the living room area to define it more. Then your DR table will 'float' on the wood floor and the LR will have more definition. Not sure there is room , but could you move the white cabinet with glass in it , into the DR area. Then move your love seat a bit closer to the other end of the room. You want to define each area so you don't have that awkward issue. Can you post a picture of the other end of the room???

Erica thanked Diane Land
  • Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am loving these ideas so far, thank you all so so much!!

• PRO
    Potter Construction Inc
    8 years ago

Portable Island is a great way to go, we just finished a project with one, here is a picture for an idea starter.

Belvedere Kitchen and Bath Remodel · More Info

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Not bad for hand-me-downs. I think there are some simple things you can do to start. You don't need to lose grammy's table; turn it the other way. Lose the rug underneath, though; it's way too small. Just go rugless. Lower the chandelier to within about 36" of the table.

A portable island in place of the brown rug will look great and be functional.

Part of the reason nothing looks cohesive is because most of your art is not only too high, but looks like it was stuck on existing hooks in the walls. Looks like you have floating shelves to the right of the bar. Even though it's two separate areas, consider the wall as a whole when you hang your art. It's hard to judge if the bar should be centered without seeing the whole wall and the actual bar you'll be putting on it.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Thanks for the extra living room photo. Love your doggie!

You need to pull the (very cool) green chair out of the corner and into the conversation group. That TV wall is a mess, but easily fixed. Curtains are too short and the wreath needs to go away.

Ima work on your room and return with a visual.

Erica thanked groveraxle
  • Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, rug has been moved, i did fold one of the leafs from the table in to make it smaller again, turned it and lowered the light. I'm liking it better already

• mrskain1
    8 years ago
    I have the very same layout although I think my footprint is slightly larger, but I understand your issues. I'm in the same camp with some of the other suggestions - lose the rug under dining table; larger rug in LR; move the China cabinet to DR and turn the DR table the other way. I would take all the small pics & do a gallery wall above/around the China cabinet. I have two arm chairs where you have the love seat - we found it flows better and is visually doesn't cut the room in half. Get rid of the open shelves under the TV and get a cabinet to house the components to tidy up that area. You'll love an island with stools in your kitchen - that will be the best purchase you make.
  • mrskain1
    8 years ago
    oh sorry. I just now see your pic of the DR w/o rug. Looks good!
  • potchiemagoodleberry
    8 years ago

adding a kitchen island and a furniture piece like a console table or a buffet or a chest of drawers to set behind the sofa with a lamp on it will help to visually seperate the areas. replace the trio of too small DR wall art with something in a much larger scale, and move the white cabinet with what appears to be glasses in it to the corner beside the slider, angled into the space...it makes more sense if it's in the DR area. adding coordinating window treatments will soften the windows and cozy up the space....perhaps a pair of tailored valances over the kitchen window and slider that compliment simple straight hanging curtain side panels on the LR windows will tie it all together. also remove the too small wall art on the LR side of the space as well. that wall is too expansive for the tiny art to anchor it and only adds visual clutter. go much larger. pick peces you love that work together with similar palettes. art prints are budget friendly and can be dressed up inexpensively with mats and frames....check out art.com, they have a great selection!

Erica thanked potchiemagoodleberry
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

looking better. lower the art so its 4-4 inches lower than it is now. for the dining room.

Can the large white credenza go anywhere else, or be parted with?

another thought would be, putting the shelves on the wall behind the dining table.

then doing more of a wall collage areoud the tv.

I hate to say this but lowering the tv and adding a console is best here.

• Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, we are working on getting rid of the white credenza and buying something else to store our barware/glassware etc. we just were not sure what exactly to purchase

For the art in the LR, do you think we should do 2 bigger pieces on either side of the TV?

Thank you all!

• Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do you think I could do something like this with the art in the LR or is that still too much?

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

just put the show pieces from the bar ware, on the shelves you move to the dining room. you dont need anything else. sell the white deal, on craigslist, and use that toward your island, that can then store the other bar stuff.

take a picture strait on of the tv wall.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

yes that is what i had in mind, see how low the tv is...

• potchiemagoodleberry
    8 years ago

if you streamline the tv area to eliminate anything that's too small and any visual clutter, then yes, use this for your inspiration! but still go moderately large on each piece because smaller frames ALWAYS need tending to, as they are so easily tilted on the wall. pieces that are too small won't have the same result....and make sure you go big on the DR side to balance it out. here you could use vintage style travel or food/drink posters like in the inspiration photo, or go with all B&W photos which may actually have more impact.

• Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The silver frames were from our wedding and wont be staying there, just didnt have a place for them yet

• potchiemagoodleberry
    8 years ago

you can so easily conceal the wires for the tv and cable box underneath the drywall....with a $5 "snake" from the hardware store, a little duct tape, an extra pair of hands and less than an hour of your time, you can feed the wires thru a small hole behind the tv, another small home by cable box and out another by the outlet! will make a HUGE impact here! :)

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

You need a bigger rug. I got you a few. I didn't replace the loveseat, mostly so you could see the wall. This is a total diy, configurable to your exact requirements. Part can be shelves for the family photos, part TV console, part bar. Follow the "More Info" link for instructions.

Daily Delight: DIY Plumbing Pipe Shelving Unit | Design Happens · More Info

Here's how it looks in your room:

• Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My gosh, you are all so amazing!! I am so excited right now. My husband just got home and he loves the kitchen adjustments :-) I can't wait to keep trying these other ideas

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

You've got way too much clutter around the TV.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Take the three pictures from the dining room and the four around the TV and make yourself a gallery wall. If you want help with that, lay them all on the floor and take a picture, post it here, and we can help you arrange them. All seven pictures hung salon style will probably be big enough for the dining room wall.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

A well done gallery wall:

Eclectic Living Room · More Info

• Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will take pictures now, does anyone have suggestions for types of seating where the tan love seat couch is?

• Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Theresa Holt
    8 years ago
    Grover is spot on! I swear Mr. G if you were a dog---- no matter what breed you were you'd be in my breeding program!
  • Diane Land
    8 years ago

Erica, are you keeping the green chair in the corner? That will be the key to picking a new chair where the love seat is now... :)

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

The Sullivan Industrial Lamp, Cord: Red Twisted, Pendant, With Plug · More Info

I think your space is lovely. Great kitchen. Love that you have added art. Just make them larger. I like grovers idea for the the wall shelves. love your dog. pick up a different rug for the kitchen and/or dining areas

Uttermost Flint 1-Light Industrial Modern Pendant · More Info

Delerus Area Rug, Multicolor, 5'x8' · More Info

• Theresa Holt
    8 years ago
    Erica, if the love seat is sound get a slip cover with what ever grove tells you to do until you can get what you really want.
  • Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also, if I do a gallery wall in the DR- would I go with 2 pieces of bigger art to flank the TV?

• Theresa Holt
    8 years ago
    love the dog...and by the bye we STILL have grandma's kitchen set. 37 years.
  • Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Diane, the green chair is going to stay :-)

• Diane Land
    8 years ago

Ok- so here are two possibilities at Overstock - something along this line and color would give you an open feeling. Love the grey rug above with this green.

• Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pretty! Do you think chairs are the best option for the space or should we look into getting a more streamlined love seat?

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

NO slipper chairs. They are suitable only for in laws you don't like. But the green wingback Diane posted just above is pretty awesome.

I just downloaded your art and will work on an arrangement. Keep in mind it may be a little off because I can't get sizes exactly right. Back in a bit.

Erica thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Chairs are definitely the best option.

• Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thoughts? too small?

• yellowginghamdoll
    8 years ago

Yes, too small. Measure your other furniture. You want the same relative scale (within a couple inches on height, depth, etc.)

Erica thanked yellowginghamdoll
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Since all your art is horizontal and virtually the same size, I had to buy you another piece. I hope you like it. (I got you the smallest canvas and it was only $85.)

Gallery Direct Fine Art Prints: Encroaching Night Upon The Field I by T Graham · More Info

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Erica, I like that pair of chairs you just posted. I'm not so sure they're too small. Get the measurements and compare them to your dining chairs. Then move two dining chairs into the living area to get a feel for how they'll look. That will help you judge.

• Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I cannot thank you enough for all of your help. I will send you an updated photo once I make all of these changes!

• Erica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good idea, I will try that with the chairs

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

Like~ on the collage wall..