Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkw1015

PLEASE! We Need your personal experience with color!

lkw1015
11 years ago
We are about to begin the much needed facelift for our small 17x18 kitchen, with only one window, soft white fluorescent lighting, and dark floors. We're trying to find a cream or beige that's warmer than the current color, but cannot seem to find one that isn't bland or a beige that doesn't pull pink-purple-blue. Also thinking of an accent color inside open cabinets above sink. We have lots of dark brown, cinnabar orange, some green and cream throughout the house. We will be putting in dark countertops and prob glass subway backsplash to help reflect the under cabinet lighting. I welcome Your help! Thanks!

Comments (26)

• sacapuntaslapioz
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would go with yellow, my favorite is Benjamin Moore AF- 330 solei or a warm grey such as wish af-680, but of course it will depend of what color glass will you use in the backsplash. I think you have to get the backsplash and then think about paint. also since you have dark floors, why not go for a lighter countertop. it also looks very sharp. or think green granite or quartz
    [houzz=
    Architecture and Interior Design · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Walnut Residence · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Needham Kitchen · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Traditional Kitchen · More Info
    ]

PLEASE de-boob the sink fixture ;-) it looks like a pimple
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    11 years ago
    some fixtures for that spot
  • User
    11 years ago
    In terms of personal experience, we are using a lot of grey. I like the Pittsburgh Pains Greystone. It's a bit of a warmer grey and looks good with brown if you have a lot already in your house. I could definitely see orange against it also. I agree with the prior comment about using a lighter counter if your floors are dark.
  • PRO
    Judith Taylor Designs
    11 years ago
    Agreed. You need to pick your countertop and backsplash before selecting paint colour. Paint always comes last. That is why Ben Moore has 4000 colours to select from. So you can perfectly complement your other selections.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    It would be easier on the eyes if you changed the light fixture over the sink to a long slender one and put a straight light valance over it so the light doesn't directly hit your eye but is focused downward toward your work.
  • darleneellen
    11 years ago
    As long as you are going with neutral colors on your backsplash and counter I would pick up on the green--a soft green--and use the cinnabar accents. If you have a lot of brown in your house, I would definitely not go with grey unless you are changing to a gray/brown color scheme. The gray is too cool for the warmth of brown and orange-red.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 years ago
    Either the picture was hastily snapped with lights off, or the kitchen needs a lot of additional lighting before you worry about the paint!! Recessed, under cabinet and wherever I can't see! Counters and backsplash tiles are the first picks anyway : ) or you will end up re-painting !
  • Sharon Holzhausen
    11 years ago
    I think a blue color goes great with browns, greens, and even beiges. Adding a color to one wall in the kitchen to go along with a neutral color may spice up the beige color scheme a bit.
  • Gail Nyman
    11 years ago
    I would definitely stay away from gray too with what you mentioned we're your other colors. Make your cabinets really pop with a dark warm color on walls and tile. Keep counter a natural surface in medium neutral color. As a realtor for 30 years, I know to always stick with neutral colors for resale. Brown, tan, copper, beiges are best. Gail at remax
  • PRO
    Bellamira Design
    11 years ago
    You have got to put in your countertop and backsplash first. Find inspiration from the countertop for the backsplash. Then, pull complimentary colors from them for paint.

You can begin to look for color for the walls with a tile and piece of cabinet in your hand. But, you won't know until the backsplash and counter are in place.

Get sample bottles of paint and paint 2' x 2' swatches to tape up for a few days. See them in all lighting day to night. Do as many as you want. Eliminate the ones you don't like first. Then whittle it down to one.

Pick your favorite color (that compliments the rest of the room) for the accent above the sink. Something that makes you smile.
  • archeviedesign
    11 years ago
    I would not discount grey. It looks great with white and some shades will shift to blue and green with the light. It's calming and clean looking. It works well with reds, browns and tans. If the green that you mention in your home tends toward grey and not yellow, I think it would be great. There are many photos on Houzz that show white cabinets and grey walls. If you like that look - go for it.
  • PRO
    Sabrina Balsky Interior Design
    11 years ago
    I would recommend a creamy white BM967 I think the most important thing is lighting. You should consider under cabinet lights Wac HR 88 and some recessed Mr 16 halogen fixtures in the ceiling. I might be nice to introduce a green glass back splash and stack the tiles instead of subway tiles. I think the dark counters will work but you have to make sure lighting is adequate. Adding polished nickel hardware and faucet would really give the kitchen some polish. Hansgrohe makes some nice faucets in polished nickel.

Good luck
  • sharonsf
    11 years ago
    I agree with others who say that paint color should come last,particularly in a room that currently is light challenged. That being said, I painted my long (35 ft) hall Kangaroo (Benjamin Moore Aura). It is warm, deep and complex.
  • cjohnston
    11 years ago
    In our kitchen, we used BM Oakwood Manor. For me, it's the perfect beige. Warm, without reading yellow. Our kitchen gets a lot of sunlight, but if yours doesn't, consider going one shade lighter for the same effect. For an accent color, consider BM Rosemary Sprig. It's a beautiful fresh green. You can search Houzz for pictures using both paint colors and see what you think. Good luck on your reno!
  • Lkristine
    11 years ago
    Look at this paint, nice balance between grey and tan, nothing heavy as far as undertones of pink, flesh, etc., and will look great with so many things that you have planned! http://www.lowes.com/pd_33855-4-50031CSPRINGSPIRITS_0__?productId=3811967&Ntt=grey+paint+samples
  • spasso
    11 years ago
    Try Kellymoore Swiss Coffee for the cabinets. We're also fond or grey and have found Sherwin Williams Perfect Griege is awesome. If you want a lighter shade Versatile Gray is beautiful too.
  • lbuttermore23
    11 years ago
    I had the same problem. I wanted my cabinets to match my Almond/Bisque appliances, so I picked out some solid Formica sample chips and brought them home (Almond matched perfectly for me). Then I had the cabinets and trim painted that color and it turned out a "soft" light whipping cream color (definitely not white). Perfect!! Then I painted the walls a medium sage green (not too grey), with the ceiling two shades lighter on the paint swatch. EVERYONE loves my kitchen, and it's just a very plain corridor kitchen, but looks smart. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    11 years ago
    I'd yank that open shelving out of there. It looks out of place, or like an afterthought. Install your backsplash tile to cover ALL of the exposed wall on that sink wall, including all the way to the ceiling after you've removed that open cabinet. Install a beautiful hanging fixture in the space, to act as a focal point, a piece of art if you will, and splurge a little on a beautiful faucet! Install beautiful handles on cupboard doors and drawers (something that coordinates with your new light fixture and new faucet... possibly stainless or nickel that echos the shape of your dishwasher handle). Change your sink to stainless for an updated look as well. You don't need to do the entire backsplash in glass tile, as it can be quite pricey, but look into a less expensive tile and use glass as an accent. Good luck and have fun with it!
  • Annie
    11 years ago
    @sacapuntaslapioz Where did your light fixtures come from? I really like the one on the top left.
  • sandrapratt
    11 years ago
    One of my favorite color is "Pure Earth" Behr Ultra -primer & paint together. I have it on my living room walls with the wall leading up the stare has "Copper Penny" I have lived with it for a year & love it more today than when I first saw the color, which took my breath away. I have now decided to go with this color in the kitchen as well.
  • User
    11 years ago
    To let more light into the kitchen, have you thought of replacing the current door with a more contemporary wood framed door with one piece of glass? More light would be allowed to stream in, making the room lighter and brighter, especially with the dark floors.
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    Ikw1015 - Before you become deeply involved in paint selections, consider working on the lack of good lighting in your kitchen first. Tina Jack's suggestion above is great, but also try and find the budget to work on better ceiling lighting and undercabinet lighting also- if you can afford an electrician. Consider also the potential for solatube lighting to bring in more natural daylight id you have attic space over the kitchen.

Your floor is very dark, are you going to refinish the floors? If so, consider lightening them or whitewashing them to brighten the space. All surfaces need to reflect light in a dark, enclosed space to make it more liveable.
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    Have you thought about keeping a lighter countertop color? I personally need lots of light to be reflected around. With your dark floors, which absorb all the light, keep other horizontal surfaces light to reflect it.

Determine if you are bold, classic or subtle. Paint your cabinets a color that you like wearing. Keep the accent colors inside the cabinetry and on accessories around the kitchen. Bases can be a darker tone and uppers a lighter tone, or different color also.

With your dark floors, go for more color on the base like a bold turquoise with white uppers above and orange accents inside the cabinets and on accessories. Look at the options in quartz countertops which are very low maintenance and also consider glass tiles only as an accent versus the whole backsplash. Chocolate brown and gray also go well with oranges, greens, and turquoise.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-great-kitchen-cabinet-color-palettes-stsetivw-vs~3700016

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/palatable-palettes-8-great-kitchen-color-schemes-stsetivw-vs~2588190

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/10-wildly-colorful-kitchens-that-thrill-and-delight-stsetivw-vs~3438082

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/4235/list/Think-Beyond-Resale-I--Colorful-Cabinets

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/color-guide-how-to-work-with-turquoise-stsetivw-vs~3793212

Think Beyond Resale I: Colorful Cabinets · More Info

EJ Sooley House, Heart's Delight Newfoundland · More Info

Pantone's Color of the Year (2012) - Tangerine Tango · More Info
  • kellyc1117
    11 years ago
    I'm no pro, but if you are still looking for a cream color when all is said and done I have been very happy with Benjamin Moore Mannequin Cream. Not too yellow, not too white, no grey...
  • PRO
    Decked Out Spaces
    11 years ago
    Benjamin Moore's CC-110 (Muslin) or CC-90 (Natural Linen) are my most favorite soft beige tones. They are light yet not white and are not at all drab.. And they are very neutral as neither have any dominate undertones. Good luck with your project!